Thread: How are the US Juniors viewed?

Hybrid View

How are the US Juniors viewed?

We have skaters and people who understand CoP far better than I do, or likely will. I watch for who I find beautiful and who moves me. It is getting harder to find skaters who actually move me. In exhibition skating, I can enjoy Patrick, with few jumps, no falls, no Chanflation. There were programs last year and skaters that did beautiful proframs, and the skaters did well. So, it is possible.

My favorite programs last year, that did move me, and were winners were Black Swan and Carolina's LP. Actually, these two skaters performed the heck out of their sp's which were quirky and similar. I rewatch these, so I know I like it. I also am not a big l
    Leonova fan, but she was quite the pirate in her sp. It is so energetic, and Alena is a skater I know like, first season. I hated the LP and found all the frenetic point pulling ugly. I am just saying what I like. I like Zhang's SP and am glad she is keeping it.

I am just giving my taste in Ladies singles, my favorite discipline. Because the shingles have not gone away, my friends in Cafe know this, I am now following, with you, the JGP. I am limited to performances on the internet. Courcheval was dismal for the ladies, but we have Joshua and Jason on the men's podium. It is a long wait for Nathan Chen to grow up, so I guess these are our next two hopefuls? I am not a big fan of Dornbush, and Armin is OK, but other than Dai and Florent, I like a taller single skater for the beautiful lines (which is getting rare). I have a number of senior men I think are amazing. Javier, Florent, Artur, Hanyu. And the veterans, Evan, Weir, Plush, Joubert, Dai and Chan of course. (He is a veteran as he has been so high on the radar for so long...)

What do you all think of these two young men? Soon (how soon?) they will be on the senior circuit. As juniors, how good are they, breaking down the aspects they are getting judged on? Is men's skating still in the hands of Lysacek and Weir? No one is talking about these guys the way Gracie was buzzed about as a junior two years ago... Could those who know men's skating comment on these two who landed on the Podium in the first two JGP's. Thanks...y'all have a huge collective knowledge.
    Last edited by skateluvr; 09-03-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Rinkside
    Yuzuru Hanyu, Joshua Farris and Jason Brown (if he gets in jumps before Seniors) will knock all the veterans off the podium in Sochi.

Custom Title
    Speaking about Farris and Brown, I don't think they have much of a chance of getting to Sochi, unfortunately. There's Evan coming back, Weir, Abbott, Rippon -- big competition at Nationals AND their first year in seniors will be the Olympic year, which doesn't give them much time to build up a PCS reputation. Brown still doesn't have a consistent triple axel and to be competitive he'll need that, and a quad in the short and free program as well. Farris has very good technical content so far but it all depends on how his transition to seniors goes, if he'll keep his consistency, if he manages to skate very well at Nationals... to even have a chance, he'll need a perfect program on the technical side at least. And we still don't know how many spots the US will have.
    I slightly favour Brown, but I like them both and I think they're both talented. Just, I don't think they have something about them that really stands out. But that might come later in time, with experience, age...

Custom Title
    I think Farris and Brown are both viewed very highly. Brown has the lack of the 3A and quad, but has massive PCS and high level non-jump elements that'll keep him in the conversation (on the junior circuit). Farris just demonstrated that if he was absolutely clean, he could score 160+, which is very impressive.

Long term? That depends on your optimism. I think Farris and Miner will be the American skaters post-Sochi, though.

I had changed it to juniors in general and edits were not there...I guess I need to ask the office, why?

ETA: Is our junior lady situ as dismal as Courcheval looked? I see 3 US ladies in top 8, and then saw Ashley Cain on youtube. And she was 4th or 5th? A gift from judges? I guess the men have more potential. Gracie is alone it seems in the last two years re junior gals. Karen Chen is a little girl. Do we have any juniors lady to get interested in? Our seniors are all inconsistent except Grace/Ashly and Grace is new to seniors. Wow. Look at Russia, then look at North Ameican juniors. It seems like it will largely be a Japanese/Russian contest for a long time in ladies.

thread title is fixed. you can't make the edit yourself, has to be a mod or admin who does it.