Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How are the US Juniors viewed?

Custom Title
    Farris's build is like Abbott but his facial features are more like Joubert IMO. But as he is just 17 his build could still change, he's awfully thin right now and you wonder if it will stay that way. Anyways Abbott is really good looking too, at least I think so, his constant pukey face just distracts from it . I wonder if Jason got a haircut what he would look like...I think he's potentially really handsome in a crunchy jewish boy way but I can't picture him with a short hair do so it's hard to say.

Chan was once a developing junior skater too you know...at a younger age than Jason is now, but everyone peaks at different ages. I just hope that Jason can get the 3a and a quad so that he doesn't end up having already peaked before he turns 18.

Anyways I'm prepared for the 2014 Olympic team to be Johnny, Evan, and Jeremy regardless of if they earn it or not so I don't want to get my hopes up. Hopefully Farris and Brown can make the team in 2018 but who knows, we have wunderkid Nathan Chen who will grow up one of these years and I'm sure some new young hopeful will emerge between now and then like they always seem to.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Farris's build is like Abbott but his facial features are more like Joubert IMO.
    That's true. What a handsome young man!

I imagine if Brown cut off his hair, he'd look like a cowboy.

Custom Title
    silverlake, do you think that the USA is likely to get three spots back next season?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    It didn't prove anything you wanted to prove.

The truth hurts sometimes .
    The "truth" as you mention it is more interesting than anything else you wrote but I am not sure what your idea of the truth is.

Is there a parallel universe here I am not aware of?

I am not a big fan of Jason or juniors as a rule.
    I read so many nice things about Jason's skating in the last year I decided to watch a few of his programs.

I like him.....like the way he skates.

Here is some truth for you - it is too soon to predict how Jason's career will turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Jason is choreographed mostly by Rohene Ward? True or not true? I look at the ponytail and think Rohene. Is this the skater that Jason emulates? I see Weir a bit also in Jason. I recall reading that Rohene could do amazing things but I don't find any evidence on youtube...maybe i did not get beyond the splatfest I watched. I know Rohene was said to do anything in practice, but might have had severe performance anxiety, otherwise he'd be a famous winner. How much of Jason is influenced by Rohene's skating? Slightly OT but are there any videos where Rohene did the amazing things I read he could?
    Yes, Rohene does most of Jason's choreography. Rohene really could do some amazing things (3Lz CW and CCW anyone? uber flexibility with a full split down and up in the middle of his footwork anyone?) in practice. It is disappointing that either his training habits or his mental toughness couldn't withstand his talent (depends on who you talked to whether it was one or the other).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Is there a parallel universe here I am not aware of?
    No, but there are parallel ways of thinking. I don't see sometimes how they are conflicted.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 09-06-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Slightly OT but are there any videos where Rohene [Ward] did the amazing things I read he could?
    My favorite performance is his 2002 Vienna Cup exhibition (reverse spins, layback, clockwise 2A to CCW 2A sequence): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAdIn-NFKhc

Maybe the cleanest short program he ever did in competition? (BIG 3A, 4T+2T, 3Lz): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdcDGJkLpwU
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-06-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Custom Title
    I remember Adam Rippon was so much hyped as the next best thing for US on this board before he went onto Seniors. I believe he had had 3A but not very consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I remember Adam Rippon was so much hyped as the next best thing for US on this board before he went onto Seniors. I believe he had had 3A but not very consistent.
    I remember that too, going into nationals at 08 I wanted to "see him for myself" when he was in juniors (and won)... I was not impressed lol

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    silverlake, do you think that the USA is likely to get three spots back next season?
    I think the odds are pretty good with Evan and Johnny coming back, Johnny reportedly landing quads, Jeremy and Evan both have huge PCS so it's just a matter of landing jumps, Dornbush has been going for difficult content and having more success recently, and you can't count Miner out either, or even someone like Farris if he steps up at Nationals. I don't have much faith in Rippon at this point but he could make a comeback of sorts. The way I see it we need a top 5 skater and a top 10 skater on the team for Worlds to have a good chance at 3 spots, and I think Jeremy, Evan, and Johnny are hypothetically capable of being top 5, and Dornbush, Miner, and Farris (maybe Rippon too pending jump status) are capable of a lower top 10 finish. Of course they would all need to skate VERY WELL to manage this, but I do think it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I think the odds are pretty good with Evan and Johnny coming back, Johnny reportedly landing quads, Jeremy and Evan both have huge PCS so it's just a matter of landing jumps, Dornbush has been going for difficult content and having more success recently, and you can't count Miner out either, or even someone like Farris if he steps up at Nationals. I don't have much faith in Rippon at this point but he could make a comeback of sorts. The way I see it we need a top 5 skater and a top 10 skater on the team for Worlds to have a good chance at 3 spots, and I think Jeremy, Evan, and Johnny are hypothetically capable of being top 5, and Dornbush, Miner, and Farris (maybe Rippon too pending jump status) are capable of a lower top 10 finish. Of course they would all need to skate VERY WELL to manage this, but I do think it's possible.
    Dornbush? What has he ever shown on the INTL stage except that he is NOT capable of getting back three spots for USA Men.

Reports of Johnny landing PRACTICE quads>>>> like we have never heard that before

Opinions are cool....sometimes the results matter too.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    OTOH Ross landed a quad salchow in his program at Champs Camp, and Farris has been landing quad toes in programs.

I sort of wish Johnny & Evan had stayed retired. Both have had 2 Olympic experiences. And it isn't like they're drudging out the 4 years between 2010 and 2014. I'd rather see the younger guys develop at this point. Dornbush has yet to show me that much, though. I'd rather see Armin.

But it's not my pick.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I sort of wish Johnny & Evan had stayed retired. Both have had 2 Olympic experiences. And it isn't like they're drudging out the 4 years between 2010 and 2014. I'd rather see the younger guys develop at this point. Dornbush has yet to show me that much, though. I'd rather see Armin.
    GO MESSING!!!!!

Custom Title
    In previous seasons there have been videos of Weir landing quads but as everyone knows no competition quads since March of 2008! At least Lysacek as February of 2009 landed January 2010 ur fall.

I was impressed with Dornbush's short at GF. It was actually engaging and entertaining AND he landed a quad.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast