Genrikh Sretenski arrested | Golden Skate

Genrikh Sretenski arrested

My goodness! That is an unnerving report. They chased all the way down to some other state to get him? That's not for a speeding ticket. I don't want to speculate, but all sorts of unpleasant ideas spring to mind.

I remember watching him and Annenko competing in pro competitions. The husband of my dearest skating friend used to call Annenko "the goddess." I hope this incident is easily explained, but I fear that it will turn tangled very quickly.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I remember watching him and Annenko competing in pro competitions. The husband of my dearest skating friend used to call Annenko "the goddess." I hope this incident is easily explained, but I fear that it will turn tangled very quickly.

i love watching them! :love:

so sad to read this!

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
I feel sad to hear this news. Annenko & Sretensky were a great pair and I still remember some of their performances (mostly from their pro years).
I've read a few short articles on this and I just hope justice will be done and the truth will be found. If he is really guilty of any wrong doing then he must be punished, if he's innocent I wish him all the best.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Tatiana Tarasova gave her comments on Sretenski arrest to the Russian radio Vesti FM. She has been knowing him for years since his childhood, worked with him as a skater and later as a coach in Russia and in the US. She said she doesn't know how to teach skaters without touching them, and added that unfortunately such situations can be used by the parents of unsuccessful skaters. She didn't have such cases because all her pupils were professionals and understood how things work. She doesn't believe in any charges against Sretenski and she thinks it's some kind of revenge from one of his ex-student and/or her family.
(click on the window to hear the full interview, in Russian of course):
www.radiovesti.ru/articles/2012-09-06/fm/65324

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
There was a news broadcast in Maryland on an ABC affiliate, and Sretenski's wife, Yulia, vehemently denied the charges.

Tatiana Tarasova gave her comments on Sretenski arrest to the Russian radio Vesti FM. She has been knowing him for years since his childhood, worked with him as a skater and later as a coach in Russia and in the US. She said she doesn't know how to teach skaters without touching them, and added that unfortunately such situations can be used by the parents of unsuccessful skaters. She didn't have such cases because all her pupils were professionals and understood how things work. She doesn't believe in any charges against Sretenski and she thinks it's some kind of revenge from one of his ex-student and/or her family.
(click on the window to hear the full interview, in Russian of course):
www.radiovesti.ru/articles/2012-09-06/fm/65324

Here's hoping Tarasova is in the right on this one. What a miserable situation. One person or the other is being maligned, so it can't end well...it can only end less badly one way or the other.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
The official site of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation reported that their office in US still didn't get the official notification from the American authorities regarding the arrest of the Russian citizen, which is a mandatory document. The consular section is denied to see him (no Russian is arrested since there is no notification for the Russian Embassy that he is arrested :laugh:), naturally they also didn't see the accusation lists or whatever they have. How many days is he under the lock and stil no paper for his Embassy? Oh, great. :popcorn:
www.mid.ru/brp_4.nsf/newsline/0D0F829632F5674544257A7200511F0A

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The official site of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation reported that their office in US still didn't get the official notification from the American authorities regarding the arrest of the Russian citizen, which is a mandatory document. The consular section is denied to see him (no Russian is arrested since there is no notification for the Russian Embassy that he is arrested :laugh:), naturally they also didn't see the accusation lists or whatever they have. How many days is he under the lock and stil no paper for his Embassy? Oh, great. :popcorn:
www.mid.ru/brp_4.nsf/newsline/0D0F829632F5674544257A7200511F0A

thanks for the summary - can you give a full translation of the link? Please? *bambi eyes* I don't speak russian and we all know google translator is hit or miss :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Lake Placid is small, with a small police force, in a rural county with a small DA's office.

However, I seem to remember a similar mess up in getting paperwork done for Lutai's arrest, and it didn't involve extradition.
They should have learned then how this is done.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
thanks for the summary - can you give a full translation of the link? Please? *bambi eyes* I don't speak russian and we all know google translator is hit or miss :)
Alas, *babmi eyes* :cry:. The link in question is not just one more interview of some skater. It's the official press Release of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, with the registered number and stuff. I am not authorized to translate such documents. The saddest part is I myself translate slightly better than a google translator. I can give you a more full summary where I retell with my own words in English what is written on the MID site. But I don't call it translation ;):
"The Comments of the Department of the Information and Press of MID (Ministry of Foreign Affairs- Rus.abbr.*LT) of Russia regarding the arrest in the USA of the Russian citizen G. Sretenskij:
The relevant departments of MID of Russia and our diplomatic offices in the USA are monitoring closely the situation of G.Sretenskij, who has been working in the US for many years as a figure skating coach, and who got recently arrested in the State Maryland.
We are in close contacts with his lawyers. The US authorities still didn't give us the official notice of the arrest of the Russian citizen, which is a mandatory document in cases like that (I assume without it the embassy/consulate can't fully proceed- *LT). We are seeking the consulate meeting with G. Sretenskij but we still didn't get any. As well as we didn't get any document where the charges against him are specified (I tried to do it myself but I got lost www.slc.edu/offices-services/security/assault/Penal_Law.html *LT). The Russian embassy is ready to provide G.Sretenskij the full support and service, the same ones that would be provided to any Russian citizen who got in a situation like that overseas."

I have no opinion on the matter. The information in press worldwide is tiny if not none, mostly full of rumours and has no reliability. It seems like the case will be mosty based "on character". I mean there is no direct evidence of what happened in the closed hotel room, neither witnesses not the lab stuff. Probably that's why they had been shooting his training for months or somesuch. That is where TAT's comments on touching the students come from IMO. :think:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
thanks for the summary! This whole case is just confusing it seems... I just hope truth is able to prevail - whatever that may be.

Thanks for the summary, LT. It's an extremely unsettling story. If he's being framed, it's nightmarish for him. If he's guilty...well, I don't need to go into detail.

gmyers

Record Breaker
This is a terrible story. But I also learned of yet another Russian to moved to the US to coach! It's amazing. What did 90% of all the people with any kind of success leave post Soviet fall?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Since this case involves both criminal & civil legal issues, probably we should avoid information that does not have at least a link to back it up. This is in line with the Golden Skate policy on unsourced information and rumors.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Vest.ru reported that Sretenskij got a bail in NY of $50,000 and will wait for his trial being free, not in jail. The next appointment with the judge or whatever the right English term is, is December 6th. Genrikh denied all charges against him.
www.vesti.ru/doc.html?id=907671&cid=9

Thanks, Let's Talk. I believe, by the way, that the phrase is "his next appearance before the judge," or "his next court appearance." I've clearly spent too many evenings watching reruns of Law and Order on TV!

Twizzle54

Spectator
thanks for the summary! This whole case is just confusing it seems... I just hope truth is able to prevail - whatever that may be.

Does anyone know if Genrikh is still coaching? Does he have any teams that will be going to US Nationals?

It looks like he's been charged with one felony count and two misdemeanor counts of child sexual abuse from something that happened in New York in 2011. Sounds serious.

http://www.fox44abc22yourvoice.com/story/19549573/former-olympian-accused-of-child-sex-abuse

Last edited: