Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Ice Dance & Carmen

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Yes, she is an actress. Her husband is Igor Bobrin, maybe you don't know they have a little ice theater in Moscow. Natalia isn't too pretty today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfVzd...eature=related the end of the show, it was in 2011.
    Very OT, but her husband's former wife (another Natalia!) was my first coach.

Back to Carmen-- it really depends on the style. I didn't like Navka/Kostamarov's Carmen, because theirs was really trying to play to the new rules of the time. we've had the COP for a good eight years now, and Virtue/Moir, while successful 6.0 skaters, really grew up with the new system. I expect that they'll be able to not only skate to the demands of the COP, but be able to express the music.

In one of the interviews, Moir himself said he felt that Carmen was overused, but he and Tessa felt it was one of the most emotional and dramatic pieces.

Custom Title
    In another part of the interview (or maybe in another one), V/M said that their short program will be to a piece composed by the actor Anthony Hopkins. So they're not using the tried and true for all their music. This is very exciting to contemplate. Hopkins is a music scholar and has composed several works (which I haven't yet heard), and I'm excited both as a fan of Hopkins and as a V/M fan that they're making such a music choice. The Carmen I guess we'll have to wait and judge on its own merits. After all, it is a powerful piece of music—I have faith that Tessa and Scott will find a way to make it innovative and exciting.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    So I see that Anna Cappellini and Luca Lanotte will be performing in Opera on Ice tomorrow in Verona. http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Are they expected to perform their new Carmen FD?

The IN article includes Carmen on the list of operas from which arias will be performed.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    So I see that Anna Cappellini and Luca Lanotte will be performing in Opera on Ice tomorrow in Verona. http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Are they expected to perform their new Carmen FD?

The IN article includes Carmen on the list of operas from which arias will be performed.
    Why do you think that they will perform to Carmen? Plushenko will perform to Habanera. Do you know they will skate to Carmen too?

Thanks, plushyfan, but I think you misunderstood my previous post. I was not saying that I believed that C/L would perform their Carmen FD -- I was asking whether they would.

And I now see that the Opera on Ice program is posted online, and that Plushenko will be the only one to perform to Carmen.
    http://www.operaonice.eu/en/programma-della-serata.html

I apologize for raising the C/L question at all. :(

So ... will both Virtue/Moir and C/L debut their Carmen FDs at Finlandia? (Sorry if that's another dumb question. )

Custom Title
    That doesn't sound like a dumb question to me. I'd like to know, too.

Glad to be in your good company, Olympia.

To clarify my question: We know that V/M and C/L both are on the entry list for Finlandia, and that it is only two weeks away. So at this rate, will there be any other opportunity before then for C/L to present their Carmen FD for the first time? I'm guessing that the answer would be No. (I feel sure that the answer for V/M is No.)

Golden411, that isn't dumb question.
    Last edited by plushyfan; 09-22-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Last edited by plushyfan; 09-26-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Custom Title
    Bestmianova was never a natural beauty but she looks great; hasn't changed really from 1988 so congrats to her.

Custom Title
    I am very curious how C and L and V and M will fare? Moir can be over the top and I am not sure Tessa can show the meatiness and dramatic presence expected from Carmen. I am sure she won't pull a Nagasu - fake Miss America smile or skating pricess approach.

Custom Title
    If you see Tessa's fierceness in Farrucas there is more than enough dramatic presence there.

I wouldn't say Virtue was all that fierce in Farrucas- it kind of felt very very well rehearsed, she did quick movements and different facial expressions but that is not what I would like to see in a legendary carmen performance. It was a liitle fake.
    Last edited by DianaSelene; 09-26-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DianaSelene View Post
    I wouldn't say Virtue was all that fierce in Farrucas- it kind of felt very very well rehearsed, she did quick movements and different facial expressions but that is not what I would like to see in a legendary carmen performance. It was a liitle fake.
    Fake? Nah, the smolder and passion and fire were there. It wasn't over the top or unnecessarily emotive, and she used her body exquisitely. Different strokes, different folks.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Fake? Nah, the smolder and passion and fire were there. It wasn't over the top or unnecessarily emotive, and she used her body exquisitely. Different strokes, different folks.
    All I can say is, To each their own. I have seen so many far superior performances exhibiting smolder and passion that this does not touch me.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast