Ice Dance & Carmen | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance & Carmen

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
All I can say is, To each their own. I have seen so many far superior performances exhibiting smolder and passion that this does not touch me.

I can see - it's the word "fake" that set me off. Though I'd love to see that longlist - I've always got room for more brilliance.

emdee

Final Flight
People underestimate Tessa because she has this exquisite smileing face but its not just the facial expression with her its the dance movements that bring in the passion. Their worlds 2010 Farrucas is an example - they were a little more tentative at the Olys but didnt hold back at the worlds.

To each his own. In my mind overt smouldering is too theatrical and over the top.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Hmm.. Difficult to say anything without seeing the whole dance. Aren't they slower, or it's just training...

FSGMT

Record Breaker
sizzling it is!!! thanks for sharing this - cannot wait to see the whole thing and the costumes!!!!
Yes, I'm SO excited too!! Carmen is one of my favourites for FS, and V/M are my favourite couple competing at the moment, so I hope it will be something GREAT!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The FD is replete with body grabbing and simulated passion. Just a more 'physical' take on that oh-we're-so-in-love V/M shtick.

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
This dance must be really good, wow why so bitter?

Why must someone be accused of being bitter just because they criticize V/M?

The dance looks very meh to me. But I'm not really blown away by anyone's FD this year. I had to chuckle when P.J Kwong said that Carmen requires a diva presence on the ice, and that was Tessa Virtue. I think Tessa is a fabulous skater who brings many things to the ice, but a diva presence isn't one of them.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Why must someone be accused of being bitter just because they criticize V/M?

The dance looks very meh to me. But I'm not really blown away by anyone's FD this year. I had to chuckle when P.J Kwong said that Carmen requires a diva presence on the ice, and that was Tessa Virtue. I think Tessa is a fabulous skater who brings many things to the ice, but a diva presence isn't one of them.

I'm the same way, though I haven't seen their FD all the way through - but I'm not falling all over myself in love with it.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I just saw the practice and thought it was fantastic! Don't know what people think is lacking.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
To each their own... i'm not impressed with either of Marina's top teams... it just seems too disconnected... *and yes I know V/M's practice was not a full program, I am talking mainly of D/W's FD* I'm also not encouraged by all the hugging/headgrabbing... they said they were going to be unique in their take... if they mean with added crotch grabbing then... :sarcasm:

claphappy

On the Ice
So are we just not gonna talk about the immense amount of crotch/face interaction going on in V/M's FD?

CAS

On the Ice
I´m quite impressed by their FD to Carmen. Completely unexpected. A lot of skaters are starting to work with modern dance choreographers and I think Swan brought A LOT of moves we see modern dance routines on shows like SYTYCD to their Carmen FD. The team did a fantastic job of bringing those moves to the elements and choreography. This is a program that I'm just thankful they did, I don't care how it scores and who criticizes it or what they say. I'm happy they had the ambition to go there and that they whole team put this together. It's not just another Carmen program as many feared, it is Carmen with all the lust and violence and madness that Carmen is and I'm going to just sit back and enjoy the show this season.

all that

Final Flight
So are we just not gonna talk about the immense amount of crotch/face interaction going on in V/M's FD?

I'll discuss. What do you want to say about it? I think it's awesome.

I´m quite impressed by their FD to Carmen. Completely unexpected. A lot of skaters are starting to work with modern dance choreographers and I think Swan brought A LOT of moves we see modern dance routines on shows like SYTYCD to their Carmen FD. The team did a fantastic job of bringing those moves to the elements and choreography. This is a program that I'm just thankful they did, I don't care how it scores and who criticizes it or what they say. I'm happy they had the ambition to go there and that they whole team put this together. It's not just another Carmen program as many feared, it is Carmen with all the lust and violence and madness that Carmen is and I'm going to just sit back and enjoy the show this season.

I agree. The best thing is the program shows off their dance training. I'm hoping after this, other teams really try to show dance on ice.

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Carmen is lust ..pure and simple. ( and the dark places lust can lead to when it takes over )... There are many brief body positions that portray this admirably in what we've seen. What I love is that it's all in the choreo / body movement..no grotesque mugging or mid-ice writhing.

I fully expect this Carmen to be fabulous , maybe even become the one all others are compared to.