Ice Dance & Carmen | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance & Carmen

Carmen is lust ..pure and simple. ( and the dark places lust can lead to when it takes over )... There are many brief body positions that portray this admirably in what we've seen. What I love is that it's all in the choreo / body movement..no grotesque mugging or mid-ice writhing.

I fully expect this Carmen to be fabulous , maybe even become the one all others are compared to.

I finally got to watch the practice video (earlier on this thread), and I'm thrilled with it. If it looks this good in practice, it's going to be boffo in competition.

Between these two and Meryl and Charlie, it's going to be greed heaven for fans of either or both (like extra-greedy me). It's wonderful living in a golden age of ice dancing.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Olympia, I shall join you in greed heaven as I am a fan of both. I love this golden age and am quite happy to see the top spot go back and forth. And it's so nice to see someone resurrecting the term "boffo". Wee!

lulu

Final Flight
Bestemianova is one of the great acting masters of ice dance. I still get gooseflesh when I remember the Rasputin program they did as pro skaters. He played Rasputin, and she played the young Tsarevitch, Alexei. There was one moment when she looked up at him in fright and tried to smile ingratiatingly...I thought, this lady could teach film stars how to convey realistic emotion.

THIS. There are skaters who are great performers, Natalia though was an excellent actress. I know she is sometimes thought to be over the top, but I thought she was brilliant in Rasputin, and Andrei too, he did a great job of pulling off the Mad Monk thing. :laugh:

Saw V&M's Carmen, and I like it a lot, I can't wait to see it when it becomes a bit more polished, because it is already a gorgeous program.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Syrupy-sweet image is gone
By Ryan Pyette, The London Free Press
Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:31:34 EDT PM
http://www.lfpress.com/2012/10/28/syrupy-sweet-image-is-gone

Excerpts:

Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir’s combustible Carmen free dance, unveiled Saturday in a winning way at Skate Canada International in Windsor, leaves little hint of their former maple-syrupy Canadian-sweetheart image. ....

Marina Zoueva, Virtue and Moir’s coach, saw this program as a way to coax a leading lady out of the shadows. In the past, commentary from judges suggested Moir, the 25-year-old from Ilderton, was so much more the visible partner.
“He brings so much energy and Tessa is gentle and beautiful,” Zoueva said. “The best thing about them is the connection they have. That’s what’s special and this is the opportunity in their careers to show love in a dramatic way. ....

They wanted to be ground-breakers. Carmen, in its first form, registers on the Richter scale. ....

ETA:

Oddly the article includes a caption that says, "Local sweethearts Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir perform a sexually charged free dance ...," but the photo is not of Carmen. I think it must be their Hallelujah exhibition.​

Last edited: