Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Russian Skating Federation

Banned

Russian Skating Federation

I am confused with what the Russian Skating Federation has done this year. It seems that they always crack the whip on their skaters and pick and choose who gets the compete internationally. We know they always pressured Maria B to quit and never let her do well, until she won worlds of course. But why would they ever let Elena, who has gained probably 20 lbs of excess weight (it's surely not msucle) or more compete so much this season? Did you see her at all? She made a fool out of herself! She couldn't land basic doubles!!! She got last at every event which I'm sure did not help her confidence. Couldn't they have sent VV (not that she would have landed her jumps, but at least they'd be triples) or Kristina Oblasova or Ludmilla Nedlina> They have plenty of talented skaters, why are they doing this to their top skaters? Also it seemed that Irina did some competitions last season that I'm guessing she probably didn't want to do because during them she was sick and her mother was dying. She didn't skate well in them, one I remember vividly was the Campbells with cupcake's first transformation to poundcake and Irina's equally dissapointing performance. They should take care of their skaters!!!

urwipt - Good question about the Russian Federation but it more than likely applies to other Federations, too. Whom do you think they will send to Euros if the Nationals do not count?

Joe

Banned
    Well...

Irina is looking good so not a problem

Ludmilla is doing a triple axel in her short this year and has a quad toe so she'd be competitive--she skates consistently but she just can't do the artistic elements

Kristina Oblasova-won Junior Worlds

VV-will do better than an morbidly obese (by skating standards) poundcake who has lost her confidence.

Rooting for the Kerrs!
    Originally posted by youarewhipped
    Ludmilla is doing a triple axel in her short this year and has a quad toe so she'd be competitive--she skates consistently but she just can't do the artistic elements
    I thought the ladies weren't allowed to do a triple axel in the short. On the list of elements, I'm pretty sure it says "double axel" for the ladies and "double or triple axel" for the men.

VV-will do better than an morbidly obese (by skating standards) poundcake who has lost her confidence.
    Morbidly obese poundcake? Was that really necessary? She's just had an injury, surgery, and had some bad competitions, no wonder she's lost her confidence. I for one hope she gets back to the form of last year, I'm sure she will.

Custom Title

Irina at Campbells

Irina actually skated decent at Campbells end of year event last season. She commented herself that she'd been unable to train due to being in St. Petersburg with her mom. She landed everything but the lutz combo and for someone who didn't practice from February till April that was pretty darn good

Edited to Add:
    Also, I was told a few days ago that Nelinda was minus a coach now..don't know if its true or not and I haven't tracked down any Russian newssites to even verify.

Irina is looking good so not a problem.
    Whipped, what can you tell us about Irina? The last I heard she was practically at death's door and they were wondering if she would even be able to walk without pain for 6 months or a year. I had understood that she would not be competing at all this year.

Is she fully recovered then and ready to compete? I sure hope so!

Mathman

Banned
    She just commented (I don't have the article, sorry) about how her skating was very good and she is getting back into the flow of things after her personal issues. She said that she is getting ready for worlds, feeling confident and so on. Good luck to Irina!

Tripping on the Podium
    She just commented (I don't have the article, sorry) about how her skating was very good and she is getting back into the flow of things after her personal issues. She said that she is getting ready for worlds, feeling confident and so on. Good luck to Irina!
    2 questions please:

Will Irina compete at Russian Nationals this week?

If she does not compete, what confirmation do you have that she will be named to the Worlds team anyway?

Custom Title

Re: Russian Skating Federation

I am confused with what the Russian Skating Federation has done this year. It seems that they always crack the whip on their skaters and pick and choose who gets the compete internationally. We know they always pressured Maria B to quit and never let her do well, until she won worlds of course. But why would they ever let Elena, who has gained probably 20 lbs of excess weight (it's surely not msucle) or more compete so much this season? Did you see her at all? She made a fool out of herself! She couldn't land basic doubles!!! She got last at every event which I'm sure did not help her confidence. Couldn't they have sent VV (not that she would have landed her jumps, but at least they'd be triples) or Kristina Oblasova or Ludmilla Nedlina> They have plenty of talented skaters, why are they doing this to their top skaters? Also it seemed that Irina did some competitions last season that I'm guessing she probably didn't want to do because during them she was sick and her mother was dying. She didn't skate well in them, one I remember vividly was the Campbells with cupcake's first transformation to poundcake and Irina's equally dissapointing performance. They should take care of their skaters!!!
    Actually, Elena didn't finish last in her GP events, she finished ninth, which is just as bad. All the Russians,(Neledina, Basova, Volchkova) competed twice, but just weren't televised as much. Elena's appearance at the fluff events were because of her silver medal at worlds, and the federation can't decide to send somebody else there.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by icenut84
    I thought the ladies weren't allowed to do a triple axel in the short. On the list of elements, I'm pretty sure it says "double axel" for the ladies and "double or triple axel" for the men
    Ladies can do a triple axel for their combo, but they still need to do a double axel.

Tripping on the Podium
    So sorry, duplicate post.
    Last edited by valuvsmk; 01-06-2004 at 11:27 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Originally posted by valuvsmk
    2 questions please:

Will Irina compete at Russian Nationals this week?

If she does not compete, what confirmation do you have that she will be named to the Worlds team anyway?
    Maybe wvgal will come back and tell us. I understood she talked to Irina or her reps quite often. She usually lets us know what is happening.

Whipped, the assignments were made before Elena has had her surgery. And, lest we forget, she is the World Silver Medalist. I have a hard time imagining USFSA pulling a World Silver Medalist from the GP events when she does not do well on one event. Just imagine the outrage if the did try!

BTW, I am usually the first to jump on the "let's beat on the Russian Federation" bandwagon. That federation is corrupt, favors certain coaches/ skaters, etc. This time, however, I see nothing wrong with its decisions.

Minority member
    As some of you know now, Irina decided to withdraw from nationals couple of weeks ago. I believe if she is in top shape to compete at Euro's or worlds, her federation will send her in a heart beat.
    Even the president of the federation was quoted as saying " I wish Irina returns soon".
    Wouldn't it be crazy if the USFSA did not send MK to worlds because she didn't compete at Nationals due to health problems, they would be crazy not to send her if she was prepared to go.

Custom Title
    Irina is not competing at Russian Nationals. As far as Europeans or Worlds competition goes, the Russian Federation retains the option of naming Irina to the team. If she is healthy then I'm sure she would be asked to skate her programs and then they would decide. Remember last year the Victoria Volkcholva missed Nationals and was still named to the Worlds team.

We do have a new Christmas show picture of Irina up at her website now.

www.irina-slutskaya.com

I'm not aware of the recent comments by Irina regarding training, etc. If you have an article to link to it'd be great!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast