Modest Michelle | Golden Skate

Modest Michelle

youarewhipped

Match Penalty
I have been thinking lately about Michelle Kwan and I have come to the conclusion that she is the world's most modest athlete.

Consider this:

-Michelle is probably the greatest living athlete. No one has dominated a sport for such a long period of time as Michelle Kwan. Other great names come to mind such as Mark Spitz (swimming) and Michael Jordan (basketball), but both are currently retired.

-No other veteran athlete has been able to fight off so many young foes. Michael Jordan in his latest days did not stand a chance against younger players and other people's bodies have just deteriorated and are no longer in good shape--not Michelle Kwan.

-Can you think of any other athlete as decorated by their fans and groups as Michelle? She outshines all other Figure Skaters.

-No athlete balanced academic excellence with dominance in their sport so masterfully.

-She knows all of this.

Now consider this,

-We have never heard a cocky Michelle Kwan

-Michelle does not have an official website!

-Michelle is always understated in her interviews and thinks she can learn from just about everything and everyone.

-Figure skating is the most watched Olympic sport in the world. Michelle is a household name and yet do we ever see her in commercials or on TV other than for skating? Rarely! Michelle Kwan clothing line? No. Michelle Kwan makeup? No. Michelle Kwan accessories? No. Sasha Cohen, the number three seed in the USA is on TV constantly with adds like her Citizen watch EcoDrive and in magazines like Seventeen. Michelle is so modest and keeps such a low profile. It's not about money with Michelle, clearly.

We can all learn from Michelle and we are lucky to have her.

nymkfan51

Medalist
While I agree with you that Michelle is a great athlete and a modest person, I certainly don't think any skater (Michelle, Sasha, or anyone) should be faulted in any way for taking commercial opportunites made available to them. They all work very hard to get where they are, and they all have something different and special to offer.

Germanice

On the Ice
And if you think Miss Kwan is modest already ... just wait until you read some posts of her US-American fans, they even manage to surpass her in that by far! :eek: :laugh: :laugh:

Anke

Last edited:

Antilles

Medalist
Doesn't she have some sort of deal with Disney? She certainly does carry herself with class, though.

I think the Michael Jordan comparison is a little difficult to do. At the end of his career, he was near the 40 mark, wasn't he? Michelle is still in her early 20s. I know skating is a young game, but these are very different siutations, IMO.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Well, I heard from ppl meeting her daily and spend time with her, she is truely down to earth a young lady, very modest. It's just imposible for her to 'pretend' day after day, like varias posters in diff board implied.

Last edited by a moderator:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Germanice said:
And if you think Miss Kwan is modest already ... just wait until you read some posts of her US-American fans, they even manage to surpass her in that by far!

Well, we U.S. - American fans ARE very proud of Michelle. Her accomplishments HAVE put her in a league of her own and I don't think anyone should have to apologize for that. OTOH countries that don't have a skater like Michelle probably feel as frustrated with their ladies discipline as we Americans get with our pairs and ice damce at times. One thing about the American people, we are generous and big hearted so we gladly share our wonderful Michelle with the world.;)

Piel

lavender

Record Breaker
There's nothing wrong with commercials or endorsements. I think it's great that there are some skaters with endorsements since all we see are other athletes promoting things. As long as the commercial doesn't embellish things.

Anyway I pray that Michelle has lot of endorsements and commercials when her eligible career ends. I think she deserves it.

Piel said:
One thing about the American people, we are generous and big hearted so we gladly share our wonderful Michelle with the world.;)
Piel and I are the two most humble Michelle fans in the U.S. Our modesty is exceeded only by the generosity of our hearts! :laugh:

I think that Michelle is truly enjoying representing Disney, meeting kids, opening theme parks, and stuff like that. It seems like it's right down her ally.

She also has a big deal with Chevrolet (mostly print ads, as far as I can see). General Motors chose her as spokesperson because of how well she represents the family values that they want to associate with their product.

Mathman

Last edited:

dizzydi

On the Ice
#l Life Lesson: Never place people on a pedestal. Chances are they don't want to be there (as I believe is the case with Michelle Kwan) and......it's a long way to fall.

Michelle Kwan is a human being and not perfect, no matter what her avid fans may believe.

Dizzy

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I don't think the majority of Michelle's avid fans believe her to be untouchable or divine. But, as with anything, there are always a select few that are sometimes blinded by their fervor. The whole should not be judged by a small part. I've always liked Michelle because she wasn't perfect. She had disasterous moments where she fell apart...but she always put herself back together again. So, I guess that I admire the way she handles her imperfections. That doesn't make her a saint or the epitomy of modesty, just a well brought up, mindful person that carefully considers her actions/words and the effects these actions/words would have on herself and those around her. I respect and admire that.....but will wait to worship at my shrine until I've collected enough of her hair to complete the pagan doll centerpiece! LOL!

lavender

Record Breaker
ITA Bronze. Actually I became a big fan during Michelle's meltdown in '97. I became an even bigger fan at the '98 Olympics. It was never when she won competitions.

I'm a big fan but i don't always agree with Michelle's choices and I don't love everything she skates to (Sherz) but she's in control of her life and should be. However she's still comes off as an amazing person and skater. I don't think she hasn't reached her peak yet. I know she's 23 but I still think she has even more to give and the ability to improve.

Last edited:

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Michelle has managed to remain untouched by scandal, and for that alone I salute her.

mzheng

Record Breaker
lavender said:
ITA Bronze. Actually I became a big fan during Michelle's meltdown. I became an even bigger fan at the '98 Olympics. It was never when she won competitions.

I'm a big fan but i don't always agree with Michelle's choices and I don't love everything she skates to (Sherz) but she's in control of her life and should be.

ITA Bronze. Here I borrow Lavender's post.
Actually I became a big fan when Michelle didn't win 98 Oly. I became an even bigger fan at the '02 Olympics. It was never when she won competitions except 2003 worlds. When I became a dead fan of her personality.

I use her as role model for my daughter, teach her lay back be modest, come back strong, don't giveup, work(study) hard, do your best, leave the rest in teacher's hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
BronzeisGolden said:
...I respect and admire that.....but will wait to worship at my shrine until I've collected enough of her hair to complete the pagan doll centerpiece! LOL!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Seriously, whole post well said. Dizzi Di's comment is a good one too, although there are those rare few who manage to stay up on those pedestals. But I think, as Bronzey said, that the majority of Michelle's fans like her precisely because her feet are planted firmly on the ground--okay, a couple of inches above the ice standing on quarter-inch thick silver blades, lol.
Rgirl

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Michelle

Michelle makes mistakes just like everyone, such as her meltdown at 1997 Nationals and her decision to go coachless in 2002. But I admire how she just "soldiers on" and had maintained such a high level of skating for a VERY long time. She has faced great adversity in her career, handled herself with class and often came back even better. The bottom line is that her competitive record speaks for itself and any national skating federation would give an arm and a leg to be able to call her one of their own.