Basic Skills Competition | Golden Skate

Basic Skills Competition

tietzd83

Rinkside
During my lesson tonight, my instructor asked if I would be interested in skating the basic skills competition. My first thought is that it could be fun and even motivating to participate. However, I would most likely be the only adult skating in the event. So, my question is... if you were in my shoes (skates) what would you do??? :unsure:

treesprite

Final Flight
Even with no competitors, you have an opportunity to do your first exhibition of your skills, and it might be fun. It also can be a motivator, and enriches the experience of being a skater.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
During my lesson tonight, my instructor asked if I would be interested in skating the basic skills competition.

That means he/she feels you are ready. Think of it as a confidence builder and learning experience! You should give yourself a pat on the back!

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
That means he/she feels you are ready. Think of it as a confidence builder and learning experience! You should give yourself a pat on the back!

Also, think of it as a lesson in learning how to deal with the nerves. Even if you won't have any competition, you will still have judges.

tietzd83

Rinkside
Also, think of it as a lesson in learning how to deal with the nerves. Even if you won't have any competition, you will still have judges.

I have to admit, I'm nervous already... and I haven't even decided to do it yet. I can't think of a good reason to be nervous though!!! :)

Noga L.

Rinkside
I think it'll be a good experience for you. Skating under some pressure, having an audience.. Plus, as said above, even if you don't have competition you will still get a score... I say take it easy and go =] Good luck!

gkelly

Record Breaker
If it's US Figure Skating Basic Skills competition, all you'll get is ordinals. If there are no other competitors in your group, they will all be first-place ordinals, no matter how well you skate. So the scores won't be very informative.

If you're curious, you/your coach can ask the judges to discuss the performance afterward, if they have time. They may not be official judges, but just people with enough knowledge of figure skating (coaches, more advanced adult skaters, advanced older teen skaters) to be asked to judge a Basic Skills event.

So the main reason to do it would be to get experience skating in front of an audience, including an audience of judges. If you have friends or family who might like to see how you're doing, this would be a good occasion to showcase your skills in a format for them watch.

tietzd83

Rinkside
Thank you for the info! I have decided to go ahead and participate if for any other reason- to see how it feels to skate in front of judges. I know a couple of the judges will be from my home club, so I would hope I can get a debriefing from them. Just not sure if I am brave enough to invite the family though! :)

Noga L.

Rinkside
How about this then - make a video of it and then decide if you want them to see it =]