What are you looking forward to most this season? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What are you looking forward to most this season?

let`s talk

Match Penalty
They are not equal. A fall has a mandatory -1 deduction, but two foot landing doesn't.
So, basically you are saying that the same -3 GOE for a fall and for a two-footed landing is a fair play. Sure. We all know who likes to fall. -1 deduction? You are kidding me. They have PCS with transitions score or whatever to compensate the difference. And we all know too who was heavily overscored in that department last season.

I am looking for a fair play this season. :popcorn:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
So, basically you are saying that the same -3 GOE for a fall and for a two-footed landing is a fair play.

I think this decision of making a fall and a two-foot-landing equally get -3 GOEs is a very technical call. I myself cannot say whether it is right or wrong and so can't most of the figure skating fans. But one thing we can be sure that it applies to anyone and everyone equally.

Sure. We all know who likes to fall. -1 deduction? You are kidding me. They have PCS with transitions score or whatever to compensate the difference. And we all know too who was heavily overscored in that department last season.

I am looking for a fair play this season. :popcorn:

The same argument has been made last season. Patrick Chan was not the only one who fell. Also he was not the one who fell three times in one single program and then won a gold medal.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I think this decision of making a fall and a two-foot-landing equally get -3 GOEs is a very technical call.
So, you are saying that technically calling a two-footed jump is the same as a butted jump. :biggrin:
The same argument has been made last season. Patrick Chan was not the only one who fell. Also he was not the one who fell three times in one single program and then won a gold medal.
He was. He was the only one who fell 3 times in one single program and then won a gold medal last season.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
He was. He was the only one who fell 3 times in one single program and then won a gold medal last season.

Takahashi was the only one who did it last season. Two years ago Patrick did once at Skate Canada which was scandalous. A year ago, Takahashi did once at Japan Nationals which was equally scandalous to Japan but got all overlooked and smoothed out by his fans. Just like the fall that the tech panel didn't call, Patrick got once last year, and Takahashi also got once last year. So what's to complain?

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
So what's to complain?
Nothing. Except that now the same mandatory -3 GOE goes for a landed quad/jump without preceeding steps and for a fallen quad/jump without precceeding steps. Which makes landing is not reqired at all. In any jump. Almost nothing to complain! :rofl::bang:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
So, you are saying that technically calling a two-footed jump is the same as a butted jump. :biggrin:

That's not my call. What I'm saying was the technical experts called it. I don't know whether it is right or wrong. But it applies to everyone with no exception. Maybe gkelly or other experts here could help people understand more about such changes.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Takahashi was the only one who did it last season.
Oh, pardon to note. Your words are either a lie or ignorance. Takahahsi didn't win ISU event with 3 falls last season. Chan won Japan Open with 3 falls, as well as SC the season before that you mentioned. JO- right in front of my nose

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Oh, pardon to note. Your words are either a lie or ignorance. Takahahsi didn't win ISU event with 3 falls last season. Chan did. Japan Open. And right in front of my nose

Ah, that Japan Open. I totally forgot it. I thought it was sponsored by Japanese Federation. How dare the ISU judges!!!:laugh: And how dare the judges did it right in front of let`s talk's nose!!!:bang:

Maybe I'm wrong to think this way, but I don't see it as equal as other ISU competitions. Just like WTT. To me, it was like a tryout for skaters. Patrick said he just wanted to focus on performing and didn't worry about jumps.

Honestly, Patrick was brilliant in that performance despite of those three unfortunate falls! I loved his performance of Aranjuez there.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Maybe I'm wrong to think this way, but I don't see it as equal as other ISU competitions. Just like WTT.
Not maybe but you are wrong. WTT is an ISU event. Dai's SP score at WTT is now an official ISU record. Guiness is still delivering their note? Oh.., they were much faster when Chan set a similar record a year before. But now Guiness is a Canadian company afterall.... A private company...

giulia95

Medalist
It seems audience is not required in ice skating competitions anymore, actually ISU is all about elitist philosophical speculations :laugh:

Where do we go from here? :popcorn:

janetfan

Match Penalty
It seems audience is not required in ice skating competitions anymore, actually ISU is all about elitist philosophical speculations :laugh:

Where do we go from here? :popcorn:

Maybe ISU feels the crowds are ruining skating by expressing honest feelings about the judging system and scores.

We have anonymous judges.......why not have anonymous scores too :p

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
So some people insist that cheated jumps (2 foot landing, wrong edge, UR) are fine but a fall after a completed high level jump should be worth nothing. ISU thinks otherwise and spells out penalties for each fault.

If you must assign and spin the best intention to the skater you love and worst to one you hate, one may reverse and accuse a two footed landing as an uncommitted jump and an attempt to avoid a fall and such tactic was well rewarded. Saying someone likes to fall is the same as saying someone likes to land with two feet.

However, I believe all skaters try their best and the current system rewards the most accomplishments in each program. Rules are open and apply to all. Skaters know why someone wins and they know and talk about what they need in order to compete and win.

Let the season and the competitions begin and let the skaters bring what they may.

janetfan

Match Penalty
So some people insist that cheated jumps (2 foot landing, wrong edge, UR) are fine but a fall after a completed high level jump should be worth nothing. ISU thinks otherwise and spells out penalties for each fault.

If you must assign and spin the best intention to the skater you love and worst to one you hate, one may reverse and accuse a two footed landing as an uncommitted jump and an attempt to avoid a fall and such tactic was well rewarded. Saying someone likes to fall is the same as saying someone likes to land with two feet.

However, I believe all skaters try their best and the current system rewards the most accomplishments in each program. Rules are open and apply to all. Skaters know why someone wins and they know and talk about what they need in order to compete and win.

Let the season and the competitions begin and let the skaters bring what they may.

Some of us remember when it was first and foremost about the skating.

Today in this era of fading skating popularity we find it is about the system first.

The system is the star of the show.....not the skaters.

That is why we see such pitiful crowds at SA and SC.

Fans come to see exciting and beautiful skating.
They don't care about the system but they do notice that skating is no longer as creative as it used to be.

Where is the Toller Cranston of the CoP era?

He is nowhere to be found because the system would not tolerate that he did things differently and it was always about the music with Toller.

Some of the skaters we see today skate like there is no music.

When the rules make more sense fans will return.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Takahashi was the only one who did it last season. Two years ago Patrick did once at Skate Canada which was scandalous. A year ago, Takahashi did once at Japan Nationals which was equally scandalous to Japan but got all overlooked and smoothed out by his fans. Just like the fall that the tech panel didn't call, Patrick got once last year, and Takahashi also got once last year. So what's to complain?

Takahashi didn't win the LP with all of those mistakes, as Patrick Chan always does. He deservedly finished 3rd in the LP, but won the competition because of his amazing SP.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Nothing. Except that now the same mandatory -3 GOE goes for a landed quad/jump without preceeding steps and for a fallen quad/jump without precceeding steps. Which makes landing is not reqired at all. In any jump. Almost nothing to complain! :rofl::bang:

Both two-foot and fallen landings are imperfect landings. Two footed landings are incomplete landing whereas a fall can be after a completed landing so all that is missing is the flowing out, which of course is also missing from a 2 footed landing. ISU sets the rules and one can complain about all kinds of unfairness, e.g. UR and 2-footed landing is worth the same as fully rotated and 2-footed landing, and all falls from a jump are worth the same value regardless how many faults are committed in the jump.

In all sports and games, participants go by the rules, which they have all the time to study.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Both two-foot and fallen landings are imperfect landings. Two footed landings are incomplete landing whereas a fall can be after a completed landing so all that is missing is the flowing out, which of course is also missing from a 2 footed landing. ISU sets the rules and one can complain about all kinds of unfairness, e.g. UR and 2-footed landing is worth the same as fully rotated and 2-footed landing, and all falls from a jump are worth the same value regardless how many faults are committed in the jump.

In all sports and games, participants go by the rules, which they have all the time to study.

Yes, but many sports seem to have more logical rules than CoP skating.

When a gymnast falls off the beam it is not treated like a bobble or balance check. It is treated as a more serious mistake....because it is :)

Fans in turn can see this and I might add without instant replay.

You are right that rules govern a sport.

But I watched for many years where a fall was always treated as a more serious and disruptive mistake than some two footed landings or a borderline UR.

When fans couldn't understand why great freeskaters were losing to poor freeskaters due to the weighting of the figures ISU adjusted the scoring.

Fans flocked to arenas and TV ratings were strong.

Today I see skating in a similar situation.
The average fan has no idea why Chan is so great. He might as well be Trixie Schuba for all that average fans can tell about his skating.

Dai is different and is a skating superstar due to his exceptional performance abilties.
Fans don't get it when he loses if the other guy fell or skated through the music....or even behind it.

I think ISU ignores the fans at their peril.

Last edited: