Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: What are you looking forward to most this season?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    You're evil. Evil!
    You make it sound like this is new information :D

More seriously, I think the American men would be better served by three spots than any other nation not named Japan (that includes Canada). But I just don't love any of them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Hopes
    3. That Patrick Chan demonstrates artistic and technical growth.
    He doesn't need to. Falls are now punishable by the same mandatory -3 GOE as two-footed jumps or in SP jumps with no preceeding steps. So he can fall.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    He doesn't need to. Falls are now punishable by the same mandatory -3 GOE as two-footed jumps or in SP jumps with no preceeding steps. So he can fall.
    So can anybody. And they do.

Of course the return of Yuna! Other than that, how ladies field will pan out this season, how Dai vs Chan rivalry will evolve, how V/M will blow away with their Carmen routine, and how American and Russian hopefuls are becoming to be!

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Hopes
    1. That Akiko Suzuki wins her Nationals.
    2. That Cynthia Phaneuf becomes the skater she can be (Worlds 2010)
    3. That Patrick Chan demonstrates artistic and technical growth.
    4. That V/M produce a Carmen for the ages.
    5. That Joshua Farris comes in the top two at his Nationals.

6. That Fernandez wins Euros.
    7. That Rogozine gets himself a world team spot.
    8. That the Canadian lady doesn't embarass herself at Worlds.
    9. That the Canadian pairs, men, and dance get three spots for the Olympics
    10. That the American ladies and dance get three spots for the Olympics
    11. That Hurtado/Diaz do Spain proud.

Questions
    1. Can Stolbova/Klimov become the Russian number threes?
    2. How do the American men stack up against each other?
    3. Is Plushenko Superman? Can he defend his crown? Will he go to Worlds (he won his first Worlds in Canada, his first GP victory was Skate Canada 1998...)
    4. Can Cappellini/Lannotte start beating Pechalat/Bourzat already? Please?
    5. Can Shpilband deliver short term improvements to his teams that suggest that long term he'll emerge ahead of Canton and DSC as the top dance school?
    6. Is it possible to like an Adele competitive program?
    7. Can Savchenko/Szolkowy win a fifth worlds and if they do, can anything stop them from winning Sochi beyond a political machine beyond reproach (and/or their own inconsistency)? Can they perform "Pina" any better than they did at the GPF?
    Oh, I absolutely adore your lists, especially the bold ones! Plus, I want to know how Russian dancers will startle the world dance dynamic heading towards Sochi! (My fingers are crossed for B/S:D)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    No, and you know that. Only Chan could win with multiple falls last season. ISU couldn't justified it for public, as the result they got booing in Nice. So they created a new Chatastic rule: fall=two-footed jump=jumps with no peceeding steps in SP= -3 GOE.

Shame on ISU.

Custom Title
    Loved your reply.
    Everyone, let's try to follow SkateFiguring's example, shall we?

Custom Title
    No, and you know that. Only Chan could win with multiple falls last season. ISU couldn't justified it for public, as the result they got booing in Nice. So they created a new Chatastic rule: fall=two-footed jump=jumps with no peceeding steps in SP= -3 GOE.

Shame on ISU.
    When Chan fell on his 2A at Worlds in Nice, he got a big zero for the jump and a -1 penalty. So firstly he didn't win with multiple falls and secondly, a fall still costs aplenty. A two foot landing will now incur -3 GOE, whose value varies with the jump, and there is no -1 fall penalty. So, a two foot landing does not equal a fall. Hanyu had a fall too, getting a -1 penalty but no negative GOE, unlike unlucky Oda who had a fluke fall the previous season after a good landing and received negative GOE for the jump and the 1 point penalty. Ditto Chan's fall at last GPF when he hid the board after landing a gorgeous 4/3 combo.

I see the rules are equally applied. And they are not hidden rules.

I look forward to everybody's new programs.

Banned
    So, a two foot landing does not equal a fall.
    I see you didn't bother to read the current rules. All your Hanyu/Chan/last season talks has nothing to do with the modern ISU Communcations. Btw, they are available in Reference GS subforum, which you might enjoy to visit some day. Now a fall is equal to a landing on two feet on a jump because it requires the same mandatory -3 GOE. We all know who likes to fall. So, the new rules works well for your boy. You should celebrate, unlike the rest of fs world.

Custom Title
    Now a fall is equal to a landing on two feet on a jump because it requires the same mandatory -3 GOE.
    They are not equal. A fall has a mandatory -1 deduction, but two foot landing doesn't. Your boy can fall too. And of course, same to Patrick Chan, and any skaters for that matter. But who wants falls? All skaters are trying the best they can to prevent them.

By the way, I thought "No required steps/movements preceding Jump in SP" received -3 GOE last year as well.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 09-13-2012 at 12:20 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    They are not equal. A fall has a mandatory -1 deduction, but two foot landing doesn't.
    So, basically you are saying that the same -3 GOE for a fall and for a two-footed landing is a fair play. Sure. We all know who likes to fall. -1 deduction? You are kidding me. They have PCS with transitions score or whatever to compensate the difference. And we all know too who was heavily overscored in that department last season.

I am looking for a fair play this season.

Custom Title
    I hope falls can be correlative with PCS more objectively.

Custom Title
    What an innovative and functional ISU change after the booing incident!!

Custom Title
    So, basically you are saying that the same -3 GOE for a fall and for a two-footed landing is a fair play.
    I think this decision of making a fall and a two-foot-landing equally get -3 GOEs is a very technical call. I myself cannot say whether it is right or wrong and so can't most of the figure skating fans. But one thing we can be sure that it applies to anyone and everyone equally.

Sure. We all know who likes to fall. -1 deduction? You are kidding me. They have PCS with transitions score or whatever to compensate the difference. And we all know too who was heavily overscored in that department last season.

I am looking for a fair play this season.
    The same argument has been made last season. Patrick Chan was not the only one who fell. Also he was not the one who fell three times in one single program and then won a gold medal.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 09-13-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I think this decision of making a fall and a two-foot-landing equally get -3 GOEs is a very technical call.
    So, you are saying that technically calling a two-footed jump is the same as a butted jump.
    The same argument has been made last season. Patrick Chan was not the only one who fell. Also he was not the one who fell three times in one single program and then won a gold medal.
    He was. He was the only one who fell 3 times in one single program and then won a gold medal last season.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast