Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: COSTUMES ! COSTUMES ! Here we go....

Custom Title
    She is beautiful too and has great taste. However, a beautiful dress does not me it represents the program the best. Korpi beautiful outfits and lady but if you were judging for appropriateness or to the music not always the best. This is not a beauty contest; it is a performance sometimes she would be wearing like a beautiful princess dress but it is a dark haunted house halloween party. Beautiful dres sbut not necessarily theme or music appropriate or the best.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    She is beautiful too and has great taste. However, a beautiful dress does not me it represents the program the best. Korpi beautiful outfits and lady but if you were judging for appropriateness or to the music not always the best. This is not a beauty contest; it is a performance sometimes she would be wearing like a beautiful princess dress but it is a dark haunted house halloween party. Beautiful dres sbut not necessarily theme or music appropriate or the best.
    I agree with this idea. I'm getting to the point where I prefer costumes that express the concept of the music, even if they're not necessarily perfectly "tasteful" or something I would personally wear--as opposed to costumes that are simply pretty or attractive. Kira's costumes are all beautiful but haven't necessarily made a statement of any sort. The best, of course, is when the costumes express the character of the music AND are very attractive!

Custom Title
    The rules don't actually mention costumes. They refer to clothing. Of course all sporting events have distinctive costumes suitable to the sport. Figure skating rules tend to be reactive regarding dress, they come into being when someone is deemed to have gone too far. For men, no deep v necks, displays of body hair are verboten, and tights are out. Ladies ice-dance costumes must have a skirt, a given percentage of the torso must be covered, and I believe there is still a rule against flesh coloured tights worn without undies.

LOOOOL! Really great job!
    http://twitpic.com/asgofc/

And look at the author's avatar! She was fast!
    Last edited by plushyfan; 09-16-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by slipslidin View Post
    Those who were distracted by one small detail of a simple dress need to practice looking at the larger picture. There were two very attractive people on the ice, skating very well.
    I'm just curious about people's perceptions. Would W/P's FD have had the same impact and audience appeal if it had been performed at the same technical level and with the same emotional intensity by two less physically attractive skaters?

Custom Title
    Hard to say, Weaver and Poje really made that program their own. Unattractive costumes and styling could have lessened their impact, though, IMO.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    13KJC13... who can say ? For me though , following your hypothesis that the imaginary couple would have equal technical ability and emotional intensity to W/P ..then we reach the point where the costume can make a world of difference.

The simplicity of their costumes allowed me to fully appreciate their performance , and the same would be true of any other couple.

But one hypothetical provokes another... In a different style of costume , say if she'd had a lot of flapping tatters with a large sequined bleeding heart on her chest and/or if he had been dressed in huge puffed sleeves ,maybe one side of his costume a different colour from the other to imply that now he wants to stay , now he wants to go... I'm sure I would have been distracted , and probably would have found the total effect over the top.

As it was ,I thought they got the emotional tone just right..stemming from their ability to portray emotion ( no explanation , no extreme face making, or costume signage needed ) and nothing in the costume obscured their line or technique.

Being an attractive couple is always an asset , but looks alone wont get you to #4 in the world.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 09-16-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    John Coughlin ‏@JohnCoughlinUSA
    Lord, please guide me with Your grace as I attempt to make intelligent decisions regarding the laundering and care of my costumes.
    4:48 PM - 1 Oct 12

Custom Title
    Can someone encourage "nature boy' to keep his shirt on? Or grant him the gift to see himself as others see him.

Rinkside
    I forgot about Kiira! I think this is my all-time favorite costume ever, her black and white one:

http://www.kiira-korpi.net/modules/w.../A20801319.jpg

and this would be a runner up:
    http://static.iltalehti.fi/julkkisli...2310_SP_jl.jpg

One of my first memories of professional skating is from when I was around 5-6 years old. I was watching Nicole Bobek on T.V. and I swear (going off my memory from when I was 5) she wore a costume that had black and white stripes? When I was 5 I absolutely loved it... although now I cannot find a picture of it, so maybe my memory from when I was 5 is fuzzy Now looking back I am sure it is nothing special but when I was 5 it really left an impression on me (and her spirals!). Therefore I think that is why I like Kiirs's black/white costume so much because it brings back memories from when I was little watching skating.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    colleen, did you not find a Sound of Music photo like one of these?

That's the frothy Julie Andrews dress that I believe inspired Weaver's costume.
    Weaver's new SD costume for Cup of China has gotten closer yet to the Julie Andrews dress.
    http://photography.ice-dance.com/201...-WP-JK.jpg.php
    http://photography.ice-dance.com/201...-WP-JK.jpg.php

Wishing Weaver/Poje the best for the remainder of the season.
    Last edited by golden411; 11-05-2012 at 01:25 AM.

I agree Korpi is a stunning Nordic goddess whose costumes are elegant with an edge-she is European. She is perfect all the time-like Carol Heiss or Tonia Kwiatkowski-never a hair out of place.
    Another American Irish beauty with the best costumes was Nancy Kerrigan. She was the epitome of elegant when Krsiti and Tonya sported mall hair and overdone costumes. Nancy's LP dress from Lillehammer was loved-Vera did Nancy before she became MK's goto dress maker. MK had so many lovely dresses. She was always understated. Nothing stands out as much as Nancy's Iconic dress but all were pretty and timeless-her burgundy SOTBS dress was so pretty-perfect for her tiny but curvy shape. Sasha had some fiery but elegant dresses she designed-I loved her as she was a standout. Sarah Hughes had lovely dresses as she matured. I loved her unitard for fosse-all legs and arms at 16! I think of Alissa and like her Pink Vie en Rose dress. Watching the SOI skaters in their hey day was a treat. Roz wore a nautical Navy blue sparkler for her last season in SOI I still recall-she was so beautiful and mature at 33 when she retired I think. Each year people try to be original -this year is Suzuki's peacock costume-she truly moves like a bird, but the bombshell award must go to Gracie Gold whose sp dress is breathtaking. Enough diamonds to think Liz Taylor designed it. She is so stunning-I practically gasped. WOW!!!!!! She is only ever outdone this year by Kira.

Carolina's unitard was a hit! Wow! incredible athlete and stunner. I always loved Katia's dresses with Sergei and as a solo. She looks like her body will stay 30 forever. The young Katia was just a dream to dress in her solo numbers-she was such a natural beauty, and still looks great-however one sees she loves the ca sun-she has truly lived her life with passion. It seems like yesterday sergei passed.

I love Yukas LP dress this year. She i so thin-too thin but looks lovely-I have not see Tatian's dresses with Max this year, I hope they are elegant-my favorite pair is so elegant. For ice dance I love how Voir are styled in general and Weaver/Poje. Her blue dress is def a homage to Julie Andrews in Sound of Music-a great, wonderful family movie. J'adore.

Quote Originally Posted by Skating Gator View Post
    I forgot about Kiira! I think this is my all-time favorite costume ever, her black and white one:

http://www.kiira-korpi.net/modules/w.../A20801319.jpg

and this would be a runner up:
    http://static.iltalehti.fi/julkkisli...2310_SP_jl.jpg

One of my first memories of professional skating is from when I was around 5-6 years old. I was watching Nicole Bobek on T.V. and I swear (going off my memory from when I was 5) she wore a costume that had black and white stripes? When I was 5 I absolutely loved it... although now I cannot find a picture of it, so maybe my memory from when I was 5 is fuzzy Now looking back I am sure it is nothing special but when I was 5 it really left an impression on me (and her spirals!). Therefore I think that is why I like Kiirs's black/white costume so much because it brings back memories from when I was little watching skating.
    Bobek was a blond stunner, long lines with every costume so beautiful. I loved her dresses and her skating. The first to have a really great extension from her ballet training. She did not open up her hip a la Kwan to get the height-she had a ballerina's true extension as did Sasha. Mao does it right as well...but for costumes while I love some of Asada's I too am not always a fan of the Japanese-neither the women or the men. I love Mao's LP dress this year, and she is confection-have to love her. I am still waiting for Yuna to have the perfect dress-I guess her Gershwin Blue LP from Olympics was her best-and so much copied...this year Nagasu grew up-she looks stunning-glitz and glam are where it is at in ladies elite this year.

I think she wore black and white stripes at the Too Hot To Skate show... For her marilyn routine... I'll see if I can find my tape.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    We are now half-way through the 2012/13 Grand Prix Series and, except for Polina Korobeynikova (16), we have now seen all the Russian Ladies singles skaters that are taking part in the series once. So, on the eve of the Cup of Russia, I thought that this would be an opportune time to point out something I have noticed, and am getting a bit concerned about.

We all know that there is a very tough competition between the Russian girls to claim 1 of the 3 places in the teams being sent to the European and World Championships. However, is it just me, or is there also a competition between the Russian girls as to who will wear the most revealing outfit?

The thing that is concerning me is that it seems to be the younger members of the Russian team that seem to be wearing the most revealing outfits.

Alena Leonova (at 21 the oldest of the girls) has not worn anything revealing. But, given that she came 2nd in last year's World Championships, Alena is probably the most sure of a place in the team. Ksenia Makarova (the next oldest at 19) is only included in this discussion because of something beyond her control that in future can be easily prevented. And Sofia Biryukova (the 3rd oldest at 18) is only included in this discussion because of something I found funny.

As this is a family website, I will not go into any really detailed descriptions of the outfits, or post photos. But, at the same time, I will not be too vague as to not get my point across. So, I hope that this reaches the appropriate balance between the two!

Alena Leonova (21)

Skate America FS: This may seem a bit back to front, but I watched the Skate America Free before the Short (blame Eurosport!), so it makes more sense to me dealing with this competition this way! Anyway, back to the point. Beautiful dress. Nothing wrong with it.

Skate America SP: Beautiful dress. Nothing wrong with it.

Adelina Sotnikova (16)

Skate America FS: Althpugh the whole of the upper torso of the dress was transparent, it was not to the extent that you could see anything. What concerned me more was just how figure-hugging it was. I've seen figure-hugging dresses before, but not quite as figure-hugging as this. A girl of her age should not be wearing a dress like that.

Skate America SP: OK, so the transparent areas were not as extensive as the outfit she wore in the Free, but they were positioned in areas that should NEVER be transparent, regardless of the wearer's age.
    It wouldn't have been so bad if she had done like some other skaters and worn something underneath the dress (even just a bra). But, she didn't.

Polina Shelepen (17)

Skate Canada SP: Like Adelina, the transparent areas of the dress were too extensive. The difference was that Polina's transparent areas were lower down than Adelina's. But, at least Polina's dress had tassels which helped hide the transparent areas.

Skate Canada FS: I don't think I've ever seen a skater wear a dress with as low a neck line as that. I have to admit, I was worried for the jumps! But, my worries were unfounded. Polina continued the theme of having the transparency lower down by wearing a transparent skirt. But, it was actually quite a nice skirt, and it didn't show anything, so there's no problems there.

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (15)

Skate Canada SP: Beautiful dress. Nothing wrong with it.

Skate Canada FS: I absolutely love Liza, but I am just not sure about her wearing a dress (beautiful though it is) that shows off of her "assets" as much as this dress does. You have to remember that she is not even 16 yet.

Ksenia Makarova (19)

Skate Canada SP: Beautiful dress. Nothing wrong with it.

Skate Canada FS: Again, beautiful dress. Nothing wrong with it. The only problem was that you could see that the coldness of the air was affecting Ksenia. But, nothing that an extra layer underneath the dress wouldn't fix…

Sofia Biryukova (18)

Cup Of China SP: Beautiful dress. Although the transparent areas are quite extensive, there is nothing wrong with them as they are well positioned. I just included Sofia in this discussion as I wanted to point out that I found it funny how similar Sofia's SP outfit was to Brian Joubert's SP outfit!

Cup Of China FS: Beautiful outfit. Nothing wrong with it.

Julia Lipnitskaia (14)

Cup Of China SP: Beautiful outfit. Nothing wrong with it. When I saw this outfit, I thought "Thank goodness Julia hasn't joined in with the other young Russian girls. She's far too young for that sort of carry on!" I spoke too soon…

Cup Of China FS: A bit like Adelina's FS dress in that the transparent areas were not as extensive as they could have been, but were positioned in areas that should NOT be transparent! But, at least Julia's transparent areas were patterned, which helped protect her modesty.

In conclusion, I feel that the younger Russian Ladies singles skaters are playing a very dangerous game. They are all excellent skaters, so they do not need to resort to wearing revealing outfits to get noticed. At the end of the day, it will be their skating talents that earn them a place in the teams for the Europeans and the Worlds, not what they are wearing.

Sorry for being controversial so soon after joining, but I felt this issue needed to be raised. Frankly, this trend needs to be nipped in the bud before it gets any further.

CaroLiza_fan
    Last edited by CaroLiza_fan; 11-16-2012 at 02:08 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast