Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: COSTUMES ! COSTUMES ! Here we go....

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Meryl's costumes are always good and often simply outstanding. Last year's dress was yummy !

Now for the teeniest hint at some Canadian ice dance SD costumes, there's this ... just the briefest impressions ,but we're starved , aren't we ?

O/W at0:28 ..R/H at 0:30 .. G/P at 0:41 ..W/P at 0:44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eClwepAWPM

O/W - Saw these at BC/YT summerskate -pretty cute line dancing outfits..Thomas looking equally noticeable.

R/H -Can't tell much from this clip , but the apricot tones look well on both of them and at Thornhill ( where you could see it ), Kharis' dress was very becoming..good length for her , skirt nice and frothy , but not too full ..very promising , I thought.

G/P - this is not promising to me.. looks sort of junior-ish.Too much stuff around her shoulers and neck , don't like the red corselet.

W/P - Dreamy. Beautiful pale blue - silky , floaty , elegant ..love the square neckline and dainty cap sleeves ? for her. ...And they mustn't seat too many young women by the boards , they'll all be fainting as Andrew glides by in his impeccable shirt and vest...
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 09-12-2012 at 04:07 PM.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    Now for the teeniest hint at some Canadian ice dance SD costumes, there's this ... just the briefest impressions ,but we're starved , aren't we ?

O/W at0:28 ..R/H at 0:30 .. G/P at 0:41 ..W/P at 0:44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eClwepAWPM

W/P - Dreamy. Beautiful pale blue - silky , floaty , elegant ..love the square neckline and dainty cap sleeves ? for her.
    Assume that Weaver's dress is intended to resemble the pale blue cap-sleeved one that Julie Andrews wore in the Sound of Music for her duet with Christopher Plummer of "I must have done something good."
    Last edited by golden411; 09-12-2012 at 08:41 PM.

golden411..I don't think so... apart , maybe , from being blue . I confess I've never watched the movie , didn't think I could take the sugar hit. But I've seen the odd scene or clip , and when I read your post , I did a Google search and, nope.. I found nothing like it ( Thankfully.. it would be a waste of Kaitlyn to smother her in that excruciatingly demure stuff. )...

colleen, did you not find a Sound of Music photo like one of these?

That's the frothy Julie Andrews dress that I believe inspired Weaver's costume.
    Last edited by golden411; 09-13-2012 at 12:07 AM.

golden411..Yes I saw that SoM dress..The two are nothing alike , except Kaitlyn's dress is also blue.

Julie's dress is patterned. Kaitlyn's is not...Julie's dress has a collar bone neckline and deep frills or flounces that serve as sleeves , covering the shoulders and much of the upper arm.The upper bodice is gathered and cinched into a wide cumberbund-like waistband and a slightly gathered skirt.( I think there's even smocking at the neck and waist creating the gathers )... It looks like chiffon, over something else.

Kaitlyn's has a medium-low square neckline front and back, either cap sleeves ( because they only cover the shoulder caps ) or a short very slightly puffed sleeve..( hard to tell in 3-4 seconds).It falls in a slim slight A-line from under the bust ( no waist ), and appears to be a fine weight silk ...No froth here , just float and flutter.

Maybe the blue is meant to evoke this scene from the movie ,to a degree... and she may be somewhat demure, but she's a much more sophisticated looking character. (Which is fine by me..I often prefer a not too literal interpretation...just a riff on a theme. )

Of course , this may not be the dress....we'll have to wait and see.

ETA : Fresh fodder tomorrow..I hope something comes out of SLC .. ( I can't do IN) ..I'm dying to see if Madison Chock has altered her SD costume. I thought I noticed in a Champs Camp photo that she'd at least tacked that ruffle down a bit at the back. I know she designed it herself ( nice colours ), but she's a tiny thing ,and I thought she was totally overwhelmed by it in the photos from LPIDC.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 09-13-2012 at 03:26 AM.

Agreed, I forgot about her!

golden411..Yes I saw that SoM dress..The two are nothing alike , except Kaitlyn's dress is also blue.

Julie's dress is patterned. Kaitlyn's is not...Julie's dress has a collar bone neckline and deep frills or flounces that serve as sleeves , covering the shoulders and much of the upper arm.The upper bodice is gathered and cinched into a wide cumberbund-like waistband and a slightly gathered skirt.( I think there's even smocking at the neck and waist creating the gathers )... It looks like chiffon, over something else.

Kaitlyn's has a medium-low square neckline front and back, either cap sleeves ( because they only cover the shoulder caps ) or a short very slightly puffed sleeve..( hard to tell in 3-4 seconds).It falls in a slim slight A-line from under the bust ( no waist ), and appears to be a fine weight silk ...No froth here , just float and flutter.

Maybe the blue is meant to evoke this scene from the movie ,to a degree... and she may be somewhat demure, but she's a much more sophisticated looking character. (Which is fine by me..I often prefer a not too literal interpretation...just a riff on a theme. )

Of course , this may not be the dress....we'll have to wait and see.
    LOL, definitely a big ol' "agree to disagree" situation, colleen.
    "Froth" vs. "float and flutter" is in the eye of the beholder.
    And if Weaver's priority were a sophisticated dress, I wish W/P had stayed away from The Sound of Music. Maria is a beauty on the inside and outside. If the Captain wanted conventional sophistication, he would not have jilted the baroness to marry Maria. (Straying too far from the original story line makes me wonder why a certain piece of music was chosen in the first place.)

I missed last season's discussion of costuming, so don't know what you thought of the dangling strap of Weaver's FD dress. I guess it was intended to be a significant detail reflecting her character. To me, it was a pointless and counterproductive distraction. (Sorry, W/P.)
    Last edited by golden411; 09-13-2012 at 01:41 PM.

golden 411..Yes..we will have to agree to disagree.. Here's my beef with too-literal translations in costuming - it can drastically interfere with what ought to be the Prime Directive ..The costume should flatter the skater. So often , when trying to duplicate a costume made originally for a different art form , it just doesn't.

To judge how well a couple is skating / dancing , you need to see what their bodies are doing . If you put Kaitlyn in the movie Maria dress , it would be difficult to see what she was doing with her torso ( and the all - important back ). It may work beautifully for an actress in a movie , but not for a dancer or skater. It's not enough for a dancer or skater to be beautiful on the inside . They need to make beautiful ( and precise ) shapes with their bodies ( beauty on the outside) ... And particularly in an SD, they're being judged on the character of the dance , not on a 2 1/2 minute portrayal of a character from a 2 hr. ( or whatever ) movie.

..Let's not open up the shoulder strap debate all over again..please? I'm not pointing a finger at you , because I don't know how you felt about these other examples , but it strained belief ( for me ) that so many people choked on one small detail on a very simple costume , while swallowing whole something like this..

http://www.google.ca/imgres?num=10&h...docid=7M-fDKFo

or this...

http://www.google.ca/imgres?num=10&h...d=OLa89kPJCRDP
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 09-13-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Agree that the costume should flatter the skater. Agree that the skater needs to make beautiful and precise shapes.

Different words have different meanings to different people, so one point on which I think we disagree:
    To me, "beauty" can exist without "sophistication." And vice versa.

Based on your response, I am fine with leaving the topic of the strap alone. And of P/B's costumes as ancient Egyptians. As I say, I missed last year's discussion of costumes -- sounds as if it was a lot more contentious than I imagined. (I didn't have much reaction to the Russian costumes one way or the other.)
    Last edited by golden411; 09-13-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Custom Title
    Allow me to join the disagreement. Sophistication, to me, implies a certain degree of 'been there, done that'. Weaver and Poje, after years of wandering in the wilderness of wretched excess costume-wise, have turned the corner to an elegant simplicity that emphasizes their beautiful long lines. Their costumes are appropriate to the music, without trying to tell the story. Some skaters a la Meryl and Charlie, and Kiira Korpi have this, Tessa and Scott had it, but seem to have stepped away from it in the past year, hopefully they can regain it. This is not the halloween party 'sophistication' that involves cigarette holders anf fishnet hose.
    Those who were distracted by one small detail of a simple dress need to practice looking at the larger picture. There were two very attractive people on the ice, skating very well.

golden411 .. if words have different meanings to different people , some of those people are not checking with their dictionary or thesaurus.. Some words can have more than one meaning ,and how they're to be taken depends on the context .

Of course beauty and sophistication can exist independent of each other. I never suggested they couldn't .My meaning was that Kaitlyn's dress is both beautiful and sophisticated ( in design and execution ). It's also modest and simple. ( and in that way , pretty consistent with the character of Maria ).

Very often , excess decoration and detail are a mark of lack of sophistication in the art of design. Sometimes when I use that word I'm referring to the design of the costume more than the skater. In the case of W/P ,I mean both. With their long ,lean lines they cut a sophisticated figure on the ice . Why work against that ? They've just begun to really tap into it in the last two years.

When they announced their music, I believe Andrew said they chose the music as a tribute to his late Grandmother.

Quote Originally Posted by slipslidin View Post
    There were two very attractive people on the ice, skating very well.
    Agree completely with the sentence above. I promised colleen earlier that I would leave the strap issue alone, so I have to refrain from reacting to the sentence that came before it.

.. if words have different meanings to different people , some of those people are not checking with their dictionary or thesaurus..
    LOL, I think you just put the entire legal profession and judicial system out of business.

It's also modest and simple. ( and in that way , pretty consistent with the character of Maria ).
    Agree to some extent with these comments.

When they announced their music, I believe Andrew said they chose the music as a tribute to his late Grandmother.
    I had forgotten that. Agree that it's a sweet motivation. RIP, Hilda.

As to the legal profession and judicial system...you could add politicians , who often want to pretend they meant something other than what they said , after the fact...

Don't take me as being too combative... I am serious in my opinion, but not meaning to jump on you.

If you missed last year's costume debates... though I'm sure some people might actually have been distracted by the strap, ( I wasn't in the least, and in fact, didn't notice it at all once they began to move ) There was a lot of very vehement criticism... far beyond what such a small detail warranted ... So you couldn't help feeling that the real problem was that W/P were doing as well as they were.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 09-13-2012 at 05:33 PM.

No worries, colleen. I will not always agree with you, but your opinions are worth reading.
    Plus I love your avatar -- from The Incredibles, right?
    And LOL, just realized that you are the self-appointed Constable of the Costume Police. You are indeed serious about this subject!

So ... in case some of these SD costumes will be new to you, here's the link to IN's photos from Salt Lake City:
    http://web.icenetwork.com/photos/gal...nt_id=38368670

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast