Thread: Michelle Kwan is engaged (per People magazine)

Hybrid View

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar

Michelle Kwan is engaged (per People magazine)

Kwan, 32, tells PEOPLE that she is engaged to Clay Pell, 30, director for strategic planning on the National Security staff at the White House.
    http://www.people.com/people/article...628947,00.html

Custom Title
    This is splendid news! I wish them the best--a long, happy, and productive life. It seems she will be able to share a life of public service with her chosen spouse.

Pell's grandfather, Claiborne Pell, was a giant in Congress. It's nice to see that his tradition of service has continued down through the generations.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    So happy for her!!! Congrats!!

Well, I wonder if anything's going on in the skating world today...guess I'll check out Golden Skate...let's see now, Adam Rippon has a new coach...very interesting...I'll just scroll down a little...

...WHAT???!!!!

I am going to write a song, "Michelle Pell, she's so swell."

Just spotted the article over on people.com..... Wow - time has flown. Can't believe she's already 32 and getting married - I can still picture her as the little 14 year old Olympic alternate. Congratulations to them both!

sorry, my first thought was "I hate you", I mean is not fair, joke, her life has been perfect, great career in figure skating, travel around the world, going to the university, get a job, get married, she has a killer body while some figure skaters get fat after the sport . Well, congratulations.

Here is some information about the guy, from whitehpuse.gov.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/fellows/2011-2012

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Here is some information about the guy, from whitehpuse.gov.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/fellows/2011-2012
    Here's another with a different picture.

http://www.golocalprov.com/news/new-...-house-fellow/

He's also in LinkedIn.

Custom Title

Best wishes to her and her future husband! Mr. Pell is the luckiest guy in the world!!!

Custom Title
    Well, I wonder if anything's going on in the skating world today...guess I'll check out Golden Skate...let's see now, Adam Rippon has a new coach...very interesting...I'll just scroll down a little...

...WHAT???!!!!
    ."
    Hahahahaha! But this is exactly what happened to me!!! Heartfelt congrats to Michelle and wishing her and family all the very, very best! (hope we get to see wedding pictures too )

Custom Title
    Mr. Pell very likely speaks better Chinese than Michelle does. Michelle can only speak a little Cantonese which is a dialect of HongKong and GuangDong province of China, not an official language.

Custom Title
    I don't know if this was mentioned yet but one things for sure: they will have gorgeous kids haha

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Mr. Pell very likely speaks better Chinese than Michelle does. Michelle can only speak a little Cantonese which is a dialect of HongKong and GuangDong province of China, not an official language.

Yeah, the thought gave me a smile when I saw that he speaks fluent "Chinese," by which I assumed Mandarin. I think Michelle has spoken Cantonese at home, especially with her grandparent(s) (and she may be fluent in it conversationally, but that won't help her in most of China). Because of her international aspirations, she's been studying Mandarin for some years now, though. I don't know how fluent she's become, and almost certainly he's out ahead of her on this! Fortunately, written Chinese is the same in both Cantonese and Mandarin, because the writing system is ideograms, not letters, so the words aren't spelled out syllabically. So she didn't have to start from scratch there.

Golly, this announcement is making me happy.
    Last edited by Olympia; 09-12-2012 at 09:49 AM.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar

...WHAT???!!!!

I am going to write a song, "Michelle Pell, she's so swell."
    Haha! That was exactly my thought process when I checked out GS, only a couple of days later. (And without the song idea )

Anyway, congratulations to Michelle!