Michelle Kwan is engaged (per People magazine) | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan is engaged (per People magazine)

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
I noticed there was a diffence between the transcript I posted and the clip.....

Either way....I like it.....:)

I can clear that up for you, janetfan. ;)

There were two slightly different versions of Jim McKay's tribute. The text you quoted came from the first version, which aired during the '06 US Nationals. The second, slightly different version (the clip version), aired after the '06 Olympics, during the Marshalls Spring '06 event. I believe there was also different background music for each version.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I was recently taken aback to see Kristi in a Mitt Romney political ad.
But you know what...in Americia we are all entitled to our views.

Oh my . . . Was Kristi actually endorsing Romney? Does anyone have a link to the ad?

Getting back to Michelle, I think it's wonderful everyone is so happy for her. Interesting to hear that she and Clay were competing for the same fellowship! I do hope she's able to secure a full-time government/public service position soon so that she can really get her new career established.

Interesting thoughts....but sometimes we either believe in someone or we don't.

I was recently taken aback to see Kristi in a Mitt Romney political ad.
But you know what...in Americia we are all entitled to our views.

I may disagree strongly with Kristi's politics...but that doesn't mean I like her any less or will ever forget the great skating memories I have of her.

I love Kristi.....not just for being an Olympic champion but for the way she has always handled herself - on and off the ice.

:thumbsup: I think Kristi had a chance to interact personally with Mitt Romney at the 2002 Olympics, where Kristi was the star ice skating attraction in the opening ceremonies. She donated money to Romney's primary campaign in 2008. Romney is the only politician that she ever made a donation to, so I would guess that she probably likes Romney as a person and is not really very much into politics herself.

But if the Kwan is a Bush/Romney girl.....I will be crushed but will still support her.

Continuing in the whispering size one font... :laugh: I always figured that Michelle's political leanings would be influenced by her first mentor in politics, Condoleezza Rice. But the Pell family is huge in Democratic politics in Rhode Island. He is more likely actually to run for office than she is. I guess we will have to stay tuned.

I bought the issue of People Magazine. It goes into more detail about the proposal (he apparently got down on both knees) and the fact that they met when both were competing for a White House fellowship, which he got and she didn't. Between this and the two truffles I had this afternoon, I'm feeling pretty good about life.

I didn't want to say anything, but the part that caught my eye in the initial story was this:

Pell proposed on Block Island, off the coast of Rhode Island.

"It was hot and we were going to go into the water to cool ourselves off a little bit," Kwan says. "I wasn't anticipating going swimming. I said, 'I don't feel comfortable because I don't have my bathing suit on.' He's like, 'No, come on in,' so I said, 'Okay.' "

So let me see if I have the scene right. Clay talks Michelle into going swimming without a bathing suit. She doesn't feel entirely comfortable, but goes along with it anyway. He immediately drops to his knees and proposes.

Ah. young love! :cool:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
That is odd. Proposing in the water on one's knees in full clothing? Huh? I don't get it MM and don't want to buy People Mag.

Anyway, I am SO happy to hear he is a Democrat. Likely she is too. Though the two party lock is because not much separates them but rhetoric, I'd be far more impressed to learn they were in the Green party AND PROMOTING MA Dr Jill Stein. She is the real deal. I know Romney all too well, and the lady who ran the state while he spent nearly every day of his term running for Prez in NH, his first time around. He is a good husband and father, and that is as far as I can say something nice. Google "Big Dig" to know more about him than SLC, I would say to Kristi. I don't see the point of tiny font if you mean what you say.

And while I don't care about MK as a DC person, as I am "fed up" at my age with "politics" and other lies, I will always say she is one of the best skaters ever to have lived. I don't think she will be some great political luminary, but he might be planning a run for something someday, like Senator I am guessing, and I certainly think MK would love to be a Senator's wife. It is very posh as we all know in the senate. She wants a world stage I think, and misses those heady days of World championships. Funny that Yuna could actually have I think, a big political role in Korea but right now, skating still matters I guess. Skating has been conquered. But her fans forget the gold meant so much, despite statements she was going for 2006, and also had all her triples in 2009, when announcig at LA Worlds. So clearly, the gold mattered enough that she kept the dream alive until 2010. I maintain she was moredriven than Tara, Sarah, Witt combined. Tara was happy with one gold and moved on not only due to her hip, but she wanted to be a pro, get out of the crunch, and give her parents a chance to co-habitate. I think she was very mature for her age, and with surgery, likely could have won another medal at Ollympics. Those were great days, when we Had Mk, then tara, then Sarah, hen Sasha all emerge on the heels of the Kerrigan, Harding, Yama days of dominance. How different ladies is now. Oh, well. I enjoy the Asian stars of the sport just as much. Things change.

I have always thought it sad that some fans hated Tara, then Sarah because they won the golds. I am a fan of all, and always will be. They are all amazing girls, Americans to be proud of. Tara came back to skating, and even Sarah has, with no jumps. I think that says how much they will always love the sport, even though they are not big stars anymore, nor can they really perform like champions. It shows humility. Both are very bright, and I am wondering, OT what Hughes might do next? I could see her in law shcool and politics as well. All three are driven ladies, as was Irina during that time period. I miss them, and hope we have another meteor in ladies, soon.

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
Personally, I don't think any of us should presume what's going on between MK and her fiancee. Just be happy for her. I've seeen plenty of relationships that look lovey dovey on the outside to be truly nightmares behind closed doors at home. I've also seen relationships that seem odd on the outside to be perfect matches. Just because they choose to keep their personal lives private does not mean that they don't have love and passion between them for each other. A person who is reserved does not feel less than others - they are just more inclined to reveal those feelings to only people who they love and trust.

IMHO, I don't believe that MK craves public attention - we hardly hear a peep out of her, especially as related to her personal life. Any TV appearances she makes is in support of skating and nothing else - she does nothing to promote her off ice life.

To me, it seems that all those years of international travel as a representative on ice for the US gave her some unique opportunities to represent her country after life on the ice - it's not as though government jobs are particularly high paying as compared to others. Other people receive the calling to be ambassadors for various personal reasons that they aren't required to reveal.

heyang

Record Breaker
BTW, I also wanted to mention that I've never heard of any boyfriends for Tara, Sarah and other champion skaters - doesn't mean that don't have boyfriends, but they are just keeping their personal lives private.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Personally, I don't think any of us should presume what's going on between MK and her fiancee. Just be happy for her. I've seeen plenty of relationships that look lovey dovey on the outside to be truly nightmares behind closed doors at home. I've also seen relationships that seem odd on the outside to be perfect matches. Just because they choose to keep their personal lives private does not mean that they don't have love and passion between them for each other. A person who is reserved does not feel less than others - they are just more inclined to reveal those feelings to only people who they love and trust.

IMHO, I don't believe that MK craves public attention - we hardly hear a peep out of her, especially as related to her personal life. Any TV appearances she makes is in support of skating and nothing else - she does nothing to promote her off ice life.

To me, it seems that all those years of international travel as a representative on ice for the US gave her some unique opportunities to represent her country after life on the ice - it's not as though government jobs are particularly high paying as compared to others. Other people receive the calling to be ambassadors for various personal reasons that they aren't required to reveal.

BTW, I also wanted to mention that I've never heard of any boyfriends for Tara, Sarah and other champion skaters - doesn't mean that don't have boyfriends, but they are just keeping their personal lives private.

:thumbsup::yes:

Michelle Kwan is such a role model in so many ways, not just in sports!

Actually many people who are not eagerly showing off their passions to others have deeper and longer lasting passions.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
That is odd. Proposing in the water on one's knees in full clothing? Huh?

No more confusing/weird than a wedding in a Monsoon - http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/stor...t-wedding-couple-marries-in-middle-of-monsoon

Sounds pretty romantic to me. At least it's not the typical dinner with the ring in the dessert.

:thumbsup: I think Kristi had a chance to interact personally with Mitt Romney at the 2002 Olympics, where Kristi was the star ice skating attraction in the opening ceremonies. She donated money to Romney's primary campaign in 2008. Romney is the only politician that she ever made a donation to, so I would guess that she probably likes Romney as a person and is not really very much into politics herself.

Steven Spielberg has been known to donate to both sides during campaigns... it's not unusual to see celebs pad both sides "just in case." (Spielberg's case is more about Israel from what I can gather than his own personal gain.)

Last edited:
And then there are the parachute weddings, where the couple (and the pastor) are in midair at the time of the vows....See how tame proposing in the water sounds now?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
And then there are the parachute weddings, where the couple (and the pastor) are in midair at the time of the vows....See how tame proposing in the water sounds now?

under water weddings in aquariums, too, don't forget those!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
My favorite is the Roller Coaster Wedding. The pastor is in the car in front of the couple and marries them as they
are perched on top of the ride as the couple say I do the ride starts and they descend down for a wild ride.
The funny thing was that the bride was in full wedding dress and veil. She must have used nails
to fasten the veil to her head. lol

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
My favorite is the Roller Coaster Wedding. The pastor is in the car in front of the couple and marries them as they
are perched on top of the ride as the couple say I do the ride starts and they descend down for a wild ride.
The funny thing was that the bride was in full wedding dress and veil. She must have used nails
to fasten the veil to her head. lol

hadn't heard of that one... scary!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Kwanatic has posted they are Republicans. I shall post Sasha's best from now own. I suppose one might have guessed.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I like Michelle Kwan regardless her political views.

I like some of the democrats' views, also like some of the republican' views. I wish there will be a party which takes the best things out of both Democrats and Republicans.