Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Michelle Kwan is engaged (per People magazine)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    You said it better Poodlpal. It was almost the words you would use in a business decision. She has chosen wisely, as he is very solid and his resume is incredible, and he will take MK where she seems to want to go in DC circles. The ring is LA big and the dress will be Vera perfect and I suspect a large star studded guest list and a big day, where she is the center of attention, which she misses. I think MK was honest when she said she loved the spotlight and the "glamour" of skating. What could fill that need? Not acting, but even better, a life in power circles of DC while forever keeping a hand in skating. She is super focused and next is babies. He seems he will make a solid, conservative father. She is rich, they are rich. I'll bet she had a checklist, and the time finally came if she is to have kids. She is super competitive in all areas of life. Very different than her sister and brother. Fame matters. I see sides of her due to my training that some may miss. I have no doubt it will be successful, but that is a different definition these days. I personally do not think a year is long and have known many who divorced and said they did not know the person or "what love is.". Love is sacrifice. Perhaps MK's parents have imbued that into her. I think she is smart to be the attractive one. Smart women do not look for cute, but "good father/provider" material. He opens doors in DC she would never otherwise walk through, famous skater does not cut it. Men marry when it is time, and she is a sexy looking but very yang woman. MK is a fierce winner who wants it all. Her sister wanted marriage young, the skating world she loved, children came young. MK is all about winning. Achievement and being famous. She is like a Hillary Clinton type woman, though not in that league of superior top of the heap intellect. But in skating, can you name a more driven woman? And same as in life. I say heart was second to head. Nothing wrong with that. Most people who marry are "in love" ie infatuated. There is attraction at first site but love takes years, sacrifice and compromise. Any married folks here deny that?MK is very young in life. Her only disappointment is having silver/bronze Olympic medals. He too is a big achiever. When kids, illness, tragedy strikes, couples move together into deeper love or split. These two very fortunate people are just beginning. But with tons of money, health, freinds in high places, they have many assets going in. And many I am sure noted the business like language with an amused brow. She is very smart and the timing is right. People find a mate these days when they are ready, and have accomplished educational goals. hence the 2011 meeting leading to a 2012 engagement. Are they soul mates? Only God would know. Again, cheers and expect a big elegant wedding with People photo spread.
    ^^^This sounds like sour grapes.

Who are you to judge Michelle Kwan's personal manner and ideas for her private life?

Quess what?! The high rate of marriage failure is largely caused by pure passion and passion alone. Love, yes, that's essential. You must have it, no doubt . But love alone cannot make a successful marriage.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 09-14-2012 at 10:48 PM.

Custom Title
    Not to rain on the parade, but they do not talk lovey, dovey. MK thinks marriage is like a good pair team? LOL. So naive. Remember, its been a cloistered world from her tighter than tight family, to the top echelons and rich skating folk, to academia. They met only last year, and I wonder if kids are foremost on her and maybe his mind. Strange we never saw MK dating stories. Maybe MK ubers at the forum know more. I have a sense of this pairing from what they have said. Expect some surprise revelations further down the line of years from Michelle. I just have this feeling..... anyway, is there a ring pic in people mag? Such a serious young man. She is truly a DC girl now! Expect a pearl choker and conservative clothes!
    Gosh, what do you expect from Michelle--for her to say she's met her soulmate or some such? She doesn't have any obligation to express all of her feelings for public consumption. She hasn't been that sheltered--she was in school for four years at least since leaving skating. She has had several relationships that are known to her fans if not the public. She is not exactly Jennifer Aniston in terms of tabloid fodder. They have been dating for over a year. Who says long dating relationships lead to stronger marriage? Commitment is what makes a lasting marriage. You can have commitment after a few months. I know someone whose parents were married for 75 years and got married after only a few weeks! This is a happy occasion for Michelle and while you are not raining on her parade, you are raining on ours.

Custom Title
    But in skating, can you name a more driven woman? And same as in life. I say heart was second to head.
    Yes. Ashley Wagner. More driven but with much less success. And Tara Lipinski was pretty driven, too.

Custom Title
    I'm happy for Michelle. While I would agree that she's very driven, I don't think she's very passionate about much when she talks unless it's skating. I don't think anyone knows how or why someone finds their soulmate. It's between them. She's also 30 (I think) years old and has been alot of places and done alot of things in her life and she's probably ready to settle down. I wish her all the luck in the world with her marraige. And I hope she wears a Vera Wang wedding dress.

Custom Title
    Goodness me, yes. Tara was like a little jet engine. She's probably the best example of all.

It seems to me that Michelle isn't just driven. From what I see, she's pretty balanced. She deals with victory and defeat with equanimity, or at least so it seems, and she's willing to try her hand at endeavors where she doesn't necessarily end up at the top of the heap. I love that she went after an academically substantial field of study, where I'm sure she wasn't at the head of her class. Her undergrad career also shows a certain looseness; as she cheerfully said in a speech, she attended college "on the ten-year plan." She certainly has drive--she'd have to--but she's not consumed by it, I think.

Jenaj, you know someone whose parents were married 75 years? That is so cool. I guess it's a bit late for Michelle to have that in her future (she'd have to live to be 107), but I hope she and Clay have a good length of years, and that they spend them together in health and happiness.
    Last edited by Olympia; 09-14-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    I rather loved skateluvr's post. The lack of punctuation actually made it better! An honest stream of thought.

Custom Title
    Back on Michelle Kwan. You set up a box yourself on what it looks like or should look like. That is your idea. Everybody is different. I truly believe that Michelle has plenty passion and deep love into this marriage. Otherwise, she wouldn't do it. Some people are just more reserved than the others, especially in public. If they show it, they'll show it privately. Does Michelle have to show her passion like Tom Cruise showed to Katie Holmes in order to prove to you that her love is real? What other people think doesn't matter to them. The key is they are happy and in love and want to spend the rest of their lives together.

Some people would know each other right away while others would take years and years. Even years together might not be enough to make them understand each other completely.

Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    And I hope she wears a Vera Wang wedding dress.
    She will. She said so.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 09-18-2012 at 02:09 AM. Reason: remove quote of unacceptable post

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Some people would know each other right away while others would take years and years. Even years together might not be enough to make them understand each other completely.
    That's such a lovely way to say it. Right off the bat, I can think of examples of both kinds of unions.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Right off the bat, I can think of examples of both kinds of unions.
    Me too.

Congratulations to Michelle and Clay and wishing them much happiness.

I just came across this tribute to Michelle by the late Jim McKay and thought he expressed so well what Michelle meant to many of us over the years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9cMW...=results_video

"Still radiant but more reserved, at all times elegant."

"With a fire that ignited passions, warmed hearts and burned images into our memories."

^ Michelle was so moved by this tribute that she was unable to take the ice afterward. She needed a few minutes to compose herself.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Michelle always struck me as an intensely private person .... she probably wouldn't reveal a lot of her emotions. Here, however, she does refer to "love at first sight" and the "connection" between her and Clay:

http://stylenews.peoplestylewatch.co...-wedding-gown/
    attyfan, thanks for that additional link. What a nice companion piece to the engagement announcement.

"I never was one who believed in love at first sight, but I have to admit it happened for us. I felt there was a magnetic connection between us. I thought he was the one from the beginning."
    As usual, Michelle trusts her own heart and mind, and, as always, I trust in her decisions for herself.

Congratulations to Michelle and Clay. I wish them a long and happy life together, filled with family, friends and work that they love.

janetfan, thanks for the link to the Jim McKay tribute. That's a favorite of mine.

Here is a transcript of Jim McKay's beautiful tribute to Michelle:

She has been a constant

In a constellation of circling stars

Nearly giddy with light in the beginning

Now still radiant

But more reserved

At all times elegant

With a fire that ignited passions

Warmed hearts, burned images into our memories

The smile, the glow

The flair for the dramatic and the gentle

The flamboyant and the subtle

The spectacular and the soft

And always competing, for prominence in skating's crowded sky

Fourteen turns around the surface of the U.S. Nationals

Nine times the champion

In a galaxy filled with phenoms

With comets, shooting stars

The dominant fixture by which all others are measured

Can sometimes be passed by

But for so long, she's been there

The star for young skaters to wish upon

The brilliant point of reference for her peers to follow

Michelle Kwan

The approachable distant star

The supernova down to earth

And the ice skating world has been a brighter place

With her shining above it

And her is a quote from Michelle:

"It's always been a dream to win the Olympics, and it's always an honor to represent your country...I've learned that it's not about the gold. It's about the spirit of it. It's about the sport itself. I have no regrets. I tried my hardest, and if I don't win the gold, it's ok. I've had a great career, I've been very lucky.
    This is a sport, and it's beautiful." --- Michelle Kwan
    Last edited by janetfan; 09-15-2012 at 12:09 PM.

take off the oven mitts
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Here is a transcript of Jim McKay's beautiful tribute to Michelle:

She has been a constant

In a constellation of circling stars

Nearly giddy with light in the beginning

Now still radiant

But more reserved

At all times elegant

With a fire that ignited passions

Warmed hearts, burned images into our memories

The smile, the glow

The flair for the dramatic and the gentle

The flamboyant and the subtle

The spectacular and the soft

And always competing, for prominence in skating's crowded sky

Fourteen turns around the surface of the U.S. Nationals

Nine times the champion

In a galaxy filled with phenoms

With comets, shooting stars

The dominant fixture by which all others are measured

Can sometimes be passed by

But for so long, she's been there

The star for young skaters to wish upon

The brilliant point of reference for her peers to follow

Michelle Kwan

The approachable distant star

The supernova down to earth

And the ice skating world has been a brighter place

With her shining above it

And her is a quote from Michelle:

"It's always been a dream to win the Olympics, and it's always an honor to represent your country...I've learned that it's not about the gold. It's about the spirit of it. It's about the sport itself. I have no regrets. I tried my hardest, and if I don't win the gold, it's ok. I've had a great career, I've been very lucky.
    This is a sport, and it's beautiful." --- Michelle Kwan

damn it, you made me cry.

i was too lazy to click on the YT vid though i know of it, but black and white text affects me profoundly. maybe because i can hear jim mckay's voice reading it... thanks for that.

yes, i do think michelle is a practical, un-flighty woman. that doesn't mean there can't be love.

yes, i dread that political career she's about to embark on. but it appears my love for her skating might survive her politics, if i'm still this easily wrung when i reflect upon her years on our TV screen...

Quote Originally Posted by LegalGirl82 View Post
    attyfan, thanks for that additional link. What a nice companion piece to the engagement announcement.

As usual, Michelle trusts her own heart and mind, and, as always, I trust in her decisions for herself.

Congratulations to Michelle and Clay. I wish them a long and happy life together, filled with family, friends and work that they love.

janetfan, thanks for the link to the Jim McKay tribute. That's a favorite of mine.
    Well that is very different sentiment, is it not? Still, though I love the skater and she's been a cool kid to watch, I agree with the poster her passion comes out over skating. I expect her to be nuts over her kids should they be so blessed.

And Bluebonnet, please look up the meaning of slander. ATR, Lots of people appreciate honesty. Thanks Blades, I read your posts for the same reason. You know your stuff, skating and you are very honest. Don't we have more than enough vapid treacle? MK could have fallen in love with many an LA hunk, surfer, athlete. She is clearly choosing a white house guy, a DC guy with I'll bet big political aspirations. The elders here are quite silent, as they surely see what I am saying. MK is not a saint, people, she is a champion figure skater, and she is an underdog after Nagano. I bet half this forum feels she was robbed in Nagano...hence came her popularity for being gracious with silver. (and how hard is that, really). Look at her for the complex person she likely is. Thank you Blades, and the people who raised a surprised honest an eye at her first statements. I have started several Kwan threads, as that is why we like her. If she fell all the time, we would not care. Honest appraisal is a good thing. This is not a fan fest thread where people are prohibited. As Mathman said a while back about her political aspirations, she will lose half her fan base lol. Does anyone know, are they Democrat, Republican? Independent would be safe.

As far as the dress, we should have a dress thread where we pick the dress. Look at different designers. But I think I know exactly the dress-very simple and like every bride is wearing. I'd like to see her go with Carolina Hererra or Monique Llulier (sp). Just for a surprise dress- something different. Wang's brides all look the same.

Now, it was love at sight, and he's the one. Very different. Now, is anyone expecting an invite for all our posts and threads for her? Including me? I hope whoever runs MK forum gets an invite. She should.
    Last edited by skateluvr; 09-15-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast