Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Michelle Kwan is engaged (per People magazine)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Here is a transcript of Jim McKay's beautiful tribute to Michelle:

She has been a constant

In a constellation of circling stars

Nearly giddy with light in the beginning

Now still radiant

But more reserved

At all times elegant

With a fire that ignited passions

Warmed hearts, burned images into our memories

The smile, the glow

The flair for the dramatic and the gentle

The flamboyant and the subtle

The spectacular and the soft

And always competing, for prominence in skating's crowded sky

Fourteen turns around the surface of the U.S. Nationals

Nine times the champion

In a galaxy filled with phenoms

With comets, shooting stars

The dominant fixture by which all others are measured

Can sometimes be passed by

But for so long, she's been there

The star for young skaters to wish upon

The brilliant point of reference for her peers to follow

Michelle Kwan

The approachable distant star

The supernova down to earth

And the ice skating world has been a brighter place

With her shining above it

And her is a quote from Michelle:
    The star for young skaters to wish upon....what a gorgeous image. Thanks for posting this, Janetfan.

It's not often in any sport that such a luminary comes along, with a combination of talent, perseverance, focus, and charisma. I feel lucky that the one that showed up in this country, in this generation, was the one whose skating I have loved the best. (That doesn't always happen. The year Tara was the biggest thing in skating, I admired her but could not love her as I love Michelle, Kurt, Gordeyeva/Grinkov, Klimova/Ponomarenko.) Though she's chosen to leave the performance aspect of skating, Michelle surely knows that her fans continue to wish for the best for her, and I'm glad she's chosen to share her latest good news with us.
    Last edited by Olympia; 09-15-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Well that is very different sentiment, is it not? Still, though I love the skater and she's been a cool kid to watch, I agree with the poster her passion comes out over skating. I expect her to be nuts over her kids should they be so blessed.

Thanks Blades, I read your posts for the same reason. You know your stuff, skating and you are very honest. Don't we have more than enough vapid treacle? MK could have fallen in love with many an LA hunk, surfer, athlete. She is clearly choosing a white house guy, a DC guy with I'll bet big political aspirations. The elders here are quite silent, as they surely see what I am saying. MK is not a saint, people, she is a champion figure skater, and she is an underdog after Nagano. I bet half this forum feels she was robbed in Nagano...hence came her popularity for being gracious with silver. (and how hard is that, really). Look at her for the complex person she likely is. Thank you Blades, and the people who raised a surprised honest an eye at her first statements. I have started several Kwan threads, as that is why we like her. If she fell all the time, we would not care. Honest appraisal is a good thing. This is not a fan fest thread where people are prohibited. As Mathman said a while back about her political aspirations, she will lose half her fan base lol. Does anyone know, are they Democrat, Republican? Independent would be safe.

As far as the dress, we should have a dress thread where we pick the dress. Look at different designers. But I think I know exactly the dress-very simple and like every bride is wearing. I'd like to see her go with Carolina Hererra or Monique Llulier (sp). Just for a surprise dress- something different. Wang's brides all look the same.

Now, it was love at sight, and he's the one. Very different. Now, is anyone expecting an invite for all our posts and threads for her? Including me? I hope whoever runs MK forum gets an invite. She should.

You are entitled to your opinions....but seem determined to diminish the feelings of happiness Michelle's many fans feel over this next chapter in her life.

I think Michelle has led an exceptional life....been an exceptional athlete ...and a wonderful role model.

I for one expect even greater things from Michelle the diplomat. Beyond any doubt I think she is on the path to becoming a tremendous asset to US foreign diplomacy.

I know it is in her to be great .... and I think USA is fortunate to have a person of such high character as a future diplomat representing our country.

As far as Michelle Kwan goes....the best is yet to come.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 09-18-2012 at 02:16 AM.

Custom Title
    Agreed, Janetfan! One of Michelle's great strengths is that her skating career, illustrious though it was, will not turn out to be the high point in her life. This in itself is an achievement.

Custom Title
    Here is a transcript of Jim McKay's beautiful tribute to Michelle:

And the ice skating world has been a brighter place

With her shining above it
    Janetfan, I listened again and the last line is: "And the skating world will be a darker place without her shining above it." And he has certainly been proven right!

Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Janetfan, I listened again and the last line is: "And the skating world will be a darker place without her shining above it." And he has certainly been proven right!
    I noticed there was a diffence between the transcript I posted and the clip.....

Either way....I like it.....

I said nothing bad about Michelle. Look up who started the threads about her skating upon her induction. I just wish the ubers would stop acting like you know her and she has been canonized. In effect, all I said was this LOOKS to be a stepping stone to the political career she wants. One of my proposals in life was about how I'd be an asset to his political (fledgling) career. He was 30, he said it was time. I was not looking to settle down. People marry for many reasons. Clay looks like a very good marriage material. Someone said Mk could do better, but only young women go for looks. She chose substance.

Her statements were clarified and she said she loved him. Which is the best reason to marry, after all. So drop it already, ok? If my opinion is deeper than yours, it doesn't make me wrong. Or does it?
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 09-18-2012 at 02:15 AM. Reason: edited to remove personal attack

Well I find much of what you say Hogwash, Janetfan. At least I don't attack posters. I said nothing bad about Michelle. Look up who started the threads about her skating upon her induction. I just wish the ubers would stop acting like you know her and she has been canonized. In effect, all I said was this LOOKS to be a stepping stone to the political career she wants. One of my proposals in life was about how I'd be an asset to his political (fledgling) career. He was 30, he said it was time. I was not looking to settle down. People marry for many reasons. Clay looks like a very good marriage material. Someone said Mk could do better, but only young women go for looks. She chose substance.

Her statements were clarified and she said she loved him. Which is the best reason to marry, after all. So drop it already, ok? If my opinion is deeper than yours, it doesn't make me wrong. Or does it?
    You want to tell me to drop it...?

Fine

I just disagrreed with you although I did make it clear you have the right to your opinions.

Whether you like it or not I also have the right to my opinions.

Anyway....most if us were happy to hear of Michelle's engagement.

You seem to have some twisted views about it...but to each their own.
    Last edited by janetfan; 09-15-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Custom Title
    I bought the issue of People Magazine. It goes into more detail about the proposal (he apparently got down on both knees) and the fact that they met when both were competing for a White House fellowship, which he got and she didn't. Between this and the two truffles I had this afternoon, I'm feeling pretty good about life. (I also got a flu shot, which makes me feel accomplished but sore. The truffles were instead of aspirin. I didn't know what medicine would fight with the flu shot, but I knew that chocolate goes with everything.)

Go, Michelle!

Custom Title
    And Bluebonnet, please look up the meaning of slander.
    I did. And I was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I bought the issue of People Magazine. It goes into more detail about the proposal (he apparently got down on both knees)
    Awwwwww! So romantic!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    damn it, you made me cry.

i was too lazy to click on the YT vid though i know of it, but black and white text affects me profoundly. maybe because i can hear jim mckay's voice reading it... thanks for that.

yes, i do think michelle is a practical, un-flighty woman. that doesn't mean there can't be love.

yes, i dread that political career she's about to embark on. but it appears my love for her skating might survive her politics, if i'm still this easily wrung when i reflect upon her years on our TV screen...
    Interesting thoughts....but sometimes we either believe in someone or we don't.

I was recently taken aback to see Kristi in a Mitt Romney political ad.
    But you know what...in Americia we are all entitled to our views.

I may disagree strongly with Kristi's politics...but that doesn't mean I like her any less or will ever forget the great skating memories I have of her.

I love Kristi.....not just for being an Olympic champion but for the way she has always handled herself - on and off the ice.

I feel the same way about Michelle.

But if the Kwan is a Bush/Romney girl.....I will be crushed but will still support her.
    Last edited by janetfan; 09-15-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Custom Title
    I noticed there was a diffence between the transcript I posted and the clip.....

Either way....I like it.....
    I can clear that up for you, janetfan.

There were two slightly different versions of Jim McKay's tribute. The text you quoted came from the first version, which aired during the '06 US Nationals. The second, slightly different version (the clip version), aired after the '06 Olympics, during the Marshalls Spring '06 event. I believe there was also different background music for each version.

Custom Title
    Oh my . . . Was Kristi actually endorsing Romney? Does anyone have a link to the ad?

Getting back to Michelle, I think it's wonderful everyone is so happy for her. Interesting to hear that she and Clay were competing for the same fellowship! I do hope she's able to secure a full-time government/public service position soon so that she can really get her new career established.

Interesting thoughts....but sometimes we either believe in someone or we don't.

I may disagree strongly with Kristi's politics...but that doesn't mean I like her any less or will ever forget the great skating memories I have of her.

I love Kristi.....not just for being an Olympic champion but for the way she has always handled herself - on and off the ice.
    I think Kristi had a chance to interact personally with Mitt Romney at the 2002 Olympics, where Kristi was the star ice skating attraction in the opening ceremonies. She donated money to Romney's primary campaign in 2008. Romney is the only politician that she ever made a donation to, so I would guess that she probably likes Romney as a person and is not really very much into politics herself.

But if the Kwan is a Bush/Romney girl.....I will be crushed but will still support her.
    Continuing in the whispering size one font... I always figured that Michelle's political leanings would be influenced by her first mentor in politics, Condoleezza Rice. But the Pell family is huge in Democratic politics in Rhode Island. He is more likely actually to run for office than she is. I guess we will have to stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I bought the issue of People Magazine. It goes into more detail about the proposal (he apparently got down on both knees) and the fact that they met when both were competing for a White House fellowship, which he got and she didn't. Between this and the two truffles I had this afternoon, I'm feeling pretty good about life.
    I didn't want to say anything, but the part that caught my eye in the initial story was this:

Pell proposed on Block Island, off the coast of Rhode Island.

"It was hot and we were going to go into the water to cool ourselves off a little bit," Kwan says. "I wasn't anticipating going swimming. I said, 'I don't feel comfortable because I don't have my bathing suit on.' He's like, 'No, come on in,' so I said, 'Okay.' "
    So let me see if I have the scene right. Clay talks Michelle into going swimming without a bathing suit. She doesn't feel entirely comfortable, but goes along with it anyway. He immediately drops to his knees and proposes.

Ah. young love!

That is odd. Proposing in the water on one's knees in full clothing? Huh? I don't get it MM and don't want to buy People Mag.

Anyway, I am SO happy to hear he is a Democrat. Likely she is too. Though the two party lock is because not much separates them but rhetoric, I'd be far more impressed to learn they were in the Green party AND PROMOTING MA Dr Jill Stein. She is the real deal. I know Romney all too well, and the lady who ran the state while he spent nearly every day of his term running for Prez in NH, his first time around. He is a good husband and father, and that is as far as I can say something nice. Google "Big Dig" to know more about him than SLC, I would say to Kristi. I don't see the point of tiny font if you mean what you say.

And while I don't care about MK as a DC person, as I am "fed up" at my age with "politics" and other lies, I will always say she is one of the best skaters ever to have lived. I don't think she will be some great political luminary, but he might be planning a run for something someday, like Senator I am guessing, and I certainly think MK would love to be a Senator's wife. It is very posh as we all know in the senate. She wants a world stage I think, and misses those heady days of World championships. Funny that Yuna could actually have I think, a big political role in Korea but right now, skating still matters I guess. Skating has been conquered. But her fans forget the gold meant so much, despite statements she was going for 2006, and also had all her triples in 2009, when announcig at LA Worlds. So clearly, the gold mattered enough that she kept the dream alive until 2010. I maintain she was moredriven than Tara, Sarah, Witt combined. Tara was happy with one gold and moved on not only due to her hip, but she wanted to be a pro, get out of the crunch, and give her parents a chance to co-habitate. I think she was very mature for her age, and with surgery, likely could have won another medal at Ollympics. Those were great days, when we Had Mk, then tara, then Sarah, hen Sasha all emerge on the heels of the Kerrigan, Harding, Yama days of dominance. How different ladies is now. Oh, well. I enjoy the Asian stars of the sport just as much. Things change.

I have always thought it sad that some fans hated Tara, then Sarah because they won the golds. I am a fan of all, and always will be. They are all amazing girls, Americans to be proud of. Tara came back to skating, and even Sarah has, with no jumps. I think that says how much they will always love the sport, even though they are not big stars anymore, nor can they really perform like champions. It shows humility. Both are very bright, and I am wondering, OT what Hughes might do next? I could see her in law shcool and politics as well. All three are driven ladies, as was Irina during that time period. I miss them, and hope we have another meteor in ladies, soon.
    Last edited by skateluvr; 09-15-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast