Meryl Davis tweet re new Free Dance? | Golden Skate

Meryl Davis tweet re new Free Dance?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Meryl Davis @Meryl_Davis
Quand les années auront passé On retrouvera sous terre Nos squelettes enlacés Pour dire à l'univers Combien Quasimodo aimait Esméralda
6:30 PM - 11 Sep 12 ·​

Is she announcing that Davis/White FD will be The Hunchback of Notre Dame?

Last edited:

CAS

On the Ice
There was a rumour that they are skating to Notre Dame for their FD. I would think that tweet confirms it.

Sacre tonerre! C'est possible, je crois.

(Yipes! I think this could be possible.) Would this refer to the Disney sound track? I sure hope Charlie doesn't change his beautiful posture to imitate Quasimodo. But Meryl will certainly make an exquisite Esmeralda. I think her name means "emerald," by the way. Might this mean that she might wear some splendid tone of green?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There is a fairly wide spread superstition that a green costume is unlucky. So the possibility of a green costume depends on whether Meryl or Marina or Charlie is superstitious.

Victura

On the Ice
There is a fairly wide spread superstition that a green costume is unlucky. So the possibility of a green costume depends on whether Meryl or Marina or Charlie is superstitious.

What is this based on, if anything? Has someone in a green costume in the past done terribly at competitions?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I remember hearing that on youtube that green was not a lucky color. But what about the Irish. I think good skating is good skating and if I remember correctly the commentator said that and the Russian skater went on to win a medal - and she was not expected to win one. I think the skater was something like Anna Kondrasheva or something like that. But have the Germans Ssquared won or done well with a green costume before. Regardless D and W will be the faves this season I sense. Though I have to give credit to V and M - both D and W and V and M are technically amazing as well as artisitically. One thing though that neither team has truly impressed me is that in classical music they have not shown they can carry the drama of say Krylova and Oksinikov (who never won OGM but were good) as well as Usova and Zhulin again not OGM but excellent or Bestmianova and Bukin, Klimova and Pomanrenko or even Anisinna and Pezeriat or Navka and kosomov. So i applaud V and M for trying Carmen.

clairecloutier

Final Flight

That is so interesting--I've noticed before that green costumes are rather rare. Which is too bad, as green can be very striking. For example, I loved Savchenko/Szolkowy's green LP costumes last season--they were in fact some of my favorite costumes of the season--the simple cut and bold color just fit so well with the innovative, intense program. Maybe S/S's victories last season will help dispel the myth!!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
What is this based on, if anything? Has someone in a green costume in the past done terribly at competitions?
I think that (about Ice Dancing) you can think about Bourne-Kraatz in 1998 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZxdCZUAPjo), when they sadly lost a medal when they obviously deserved to beat Anissina/Peizerat (even if they placed 3rd in the FD segment, so there is not much to care about that green dress...). Kostner had a green part in her SP dress this year (http://searchsafer.com/imgdetail.ph...imgsize=1.5&imgtype=jpeg&qsearch=kostner 2012), but you can't really say it was unlucky! I can't remember any other green dress in the last years... however, fantastic music for davis-White (if confirmed): Carmen vs Notre-Dame?

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Had wondered before about why skating in a green costume could be considered bad luck.
Was especially curious after seeing the elegant (and superstitious) Tessa Virtue in a head-to-toe green formal gown when V/M were invited to sit at the head table with Queen Elizabeth for a state dinner. The color was nothing pale or subtle, either. It was a vivid, fresh, summery green (worn during a July heat wave that even knocked the power out in Toronto). To see photos, scroll down here: http://www.skatecanada.ca/News/20102011/0707/tabid/156/language/en-US/Default.aspx.
Virtue's choice for that once-in-a-lifetime occasion led me to believe that the superstition applies only to wearing green on the ice.

Could the origin be what I read at this link? http://plays.about.com/od/experiencesandanecdotes/a/moliereDeath.htm
The content there says that the playwright Molière also was an actor and that he suffered from tuberculosis. He died after coughing his way through a performance for King Louis XIV.
"Molière's costume -- the clothing that he died in -- was green. And since that time, actors have maintained the superstition that it is highly unlucky to wear green while on-stage."

Last edited:
That makes sense as the story behind the superstition.

I wonder how many four-leafed clovers they scattered around on the stage of Wicked to keep the bad vibes away. No only is there a scene where everyone wears green to sing "One short day in the Emerald City," but one of the two lead characters, Elphaba, has green skin. And the woman who originated the role, Idina Menzel, won the Tony Award for it.

janetfan

Match Penalty
That makes sense as the story behind the superstition.

I wonder how many four-leafed clovers they scattered around on the stage of Wicked to keep the bad vibes away. No only is there a scene where everyone wears green to sing "One short day in the Emerald City," but one of the two lead characters, Elphaba, has green skin. And the woman who originated the role, Idina Menzel, won the Tony Award for it.

So how does one explain the "green room" found in theatres and concert halls?

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Years ago ,while commentating for TV ,Toller Cranston remarked that it wasn't a good sign that someone had a green costume. When asked why he replied " Green Always Falls " :biggrin:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Last edited:

all that

Final Flight
Had wondered before about why skating in a green costume could be considered bad luck.
Was especially curious after seeing the elegant (and superstitious) Tessa Virtue in a head-to-toe green formal gown when V/M were invited to sit at the head table with Queen Elizabeth for a state dinner. The color was nothing pale or subtle, either. It was a vivid, fresh, summery green (worn during a July heat wave that even knocked the power out in Toronto). To see photos, scroll down here: http://www.skatecanada.ca/News/20102011/0707/tabid/156/language/en-US/Default.aspx.
Virtue's choice for that once-in-a-lifetime occasion led me to believe that the superstition applies only to wearing green on the ice.

Tessa picked a green dress and the power got knocked out such that she couldn't use her hair appliances to prepare for this "once-in-a-lifetime occasion." Coincidence? Bet you if she had picked a different colour, the power would have kept up just fine and she wouldn't have had to shellac her hair with product. Has she worn green since?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Jamie and David wore green when they won their world title... :scratch: is it just an ice dance thing?

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Why expect superstition to be consistent. Beside, they had slips and troubles when they won their world title, but won anyway
So Green always falls. Doesn't mean green always loses. :laugh:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
mmm..seems to me I've seen 'em fall and still win under the old system and the new...:biggrin: ..no matter what colour costume they wore .