Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Meryl Davis tweet re new Free Dance?

Jamie and David wore green when they won their world title... is it just an ice dance thing?
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 09-12-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Why expect superstition to be consistent. Beside, they had slips and troubles when they won their world title, but won anyway
    So Green always falls. Doesn't mean green always loses.

Custom Title
    Falling in ice dance almost always means LOSING.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    mmm..seems to me I've seen 'em fall and still win under the old system and the new... ..no matter what colour costume they wore .

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Why expect superstition to be consistent. Beside, they had slips and troubles when they won their world title, but won anyway
    So Green always falls. Doesn't mean green always loses.
    Pale green:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...mb=NecUpV2jbgv

Gangrene:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...mb=NecUpV2jbgv

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    So how does one explain the "green room" found in theatres and concert halls?
    Good question. I looked around a bit for an answer, but could not find any definitive origin for the phrase.
    At least in modern times, green rooms are not really green [and who knows whether the reason is to prevent bad luck?].

[In the USA, "green cards" documenting official status for resident aliens once were truly green, but I think that the actual cards now are blue -- sorry, I digress.]

Quote Originally Posted by all that View Post
    Tessa picked a green dress and the power got knocked out such that she couldn't use her hair appliances to prepare for this "once-in-a-lifetime occasion." Coincidence? Bet you if she had picked a different colour, the power would have kept up just fine and she wouldn't have had to shellac her hair with product. Has she worn green since?
    LOL, had not occurred to me that some bad luck did befall her, in the form of the power outage. Tessa managed to look "stunning" - to use Scott's adjective - all the same.
    She is wearing a sort of olive-y green blouse in the off-ice photo at the following link. I think it was taken back at the 2011 HP Camp, although SC recently tweeted it to promote 2012 Skate Canada International. http://twitter.com/SkateCanada/statu.../photo/1/large
    Last edited by golden411; 09-12-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Custom Title
    Hmmmmmm. It could be!!! If it is, I wonder if they're going with Disney or the Ballet La Esmeralda with music by Cesare Pugni. You can watch the Bolshoi's 2009 reconstruction of the ballet here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_uUf...eature=related

Just hearing the overture of the ballet it's VERY Meryl and Charlie to me. Classic, sweeping and romantic. Where Die Fledermaus was the essence of those things in a very sophisticated, elegant and presentational yet somehow dreamy package, La Esmeralda would be the classic, sweeping, romantic, but earthier and more passionate.

THEN AGAIN, could it be the French version of the ballet from the 60s with music by Maurice Jarre??? I doubt it, but you never know. That score is more at home with the more experimental work of Prokofiev and Stravinsky.

We'll see. The aesthetics of Hunchback really suit Meryl and Charlie to me so if that's what's going down I'm excited!

Actually they both have very nice posture. Their leglines used to sometimes be a problem, but not so much any more.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    OT- here's a lady who dared to wear green to the short program at the Olympics: http://youtu.be/TK8S3YeFh6M

Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    OT- here's a lady who dared to wear green to the short program at the Olympics: http://youtu.be/TK8S3YeFh6M
    Here is the ultimate green dress AKA "Dean's Green" complete with Go-Go boot skates

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIfSf...eature=related

But watch the cool combo jump - a single foot axel + 3S

Paying the bills
    I really hope they use music from the Notre Dame de Paris version. I think Johnny Weir used that music some years ago and I fell in love with it.

Custom Title
    they always pick perfect music for them unlike virtue and moir. I am not sure if v and m do themselves any favour by challenging themselves. Davis and White have done very well just skating to their strengths. One thing that bothers me a little about D and W is they are not as versatile as V and M and I am not sure if they can evoke the same kind of romance and passion of Bsquared or even Navka and kostomorov or Klimova and Pomarenko, Krylova andOksiankov et al. Lovely skaters but they do not have that pure fiery passion which is why maybe some passionate tangos and such are not their forte.

But D/W HAVE pushed themselves out of their comfort zone on occasion (specifically the Tango FD they did a few years ago) which shifted their comfort zone out a bit from where it was

In fact, every year they publish exactly what they are trying to improve before the season-it's one thing that makes following their development entertaining for me, as a fan.

It may not be what you would chose for them to improve, but they are always doing it. Last year they were trying to show more connection. Whether you think that was successful or not, I can tell you that every place they performed Die Fledermaus, they got at least a partial standing ovation (Canada, GPF, and I think 4CCs) and a full standing O everywhere else (Nice, WTT, Skate America of course, and Cup of Russia).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    In fact, every year they publish exactly what they are trying to improve before the season-it's one thing that makes following their development entertaining for me, as a fan.

It may not be what you would chose for them to improve, but they are always doing it. Last year they were trying to show more connection. Whether you think that was successful or not, I can tell you that every place they performed Die Fledermaus, they got at least a partial standing ovation (Canada, GPF, and I think 4CCs) and a full standing O everywhere else (Nice, WTT, Skate America of course, and Cup of Russia).
    They sure succeeded for me! In my estimation, that piece is one of the great dance programs ever. I hope I can wean myself off of it in time to get excited over their new programs, but that one was stupendous.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast