Men's SP JGP Austria 2012 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Men's SP JGP Austria 2012

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yup! Too young for Sochi so he'll be aiming for Pyeonchang in 2018. I remember commentators mentioning that when he first won Novice at age 10! He really is something special though. What drive in a kid so young, his coaches must be honored to have him as a student!!

He's also a great pianist, so hence his musicality.

Hm...I need to start saving up for Pyeonchang!

Mao88

Record Breaker
Last edited:

A.H.Black

Final Flight
The thing that makes it for me is Nathan's ability to compete. Sometimes he isn't perfect but he seems to be able to bring it when he needs to. I first saw him at a local show in 2002 when he was about 4 and he was impressive in performance even then.

My only worry is when he grows (as with all young skaters) I have seen his brothers and they are hockey players - not little tiny. Maybe Nathan is more one parent's size than the other. He has to grow some at some point.

Country
Russia
Cool. Nathan will likely continue his winning streak at Nationals.

So per his birthday (5.5.1999), he won't be old enough for senior international competition until 2014-2015.
Is it actual?
For high Senior Men level quad is needed.
Did anybody land quad being yonger than 15?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, he has his 3A this year. I imagine next year he will start quads. He will be junior next year too, I imagine since he is not old enough for senior; barely for junior.

It is unknown what will happen to him when he grows, but he has very nice basics, and I have hopes.

Did Hanyu land a quad at 14? I know he did at 15?

How about Boyang Jin:
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013802.htm

His birthday is October 3, 1997

That would make him still 14.

He got credit for a quad at Courchevel
http://www.isuresults.com/results/jgpfra2012/jgpfra2012_JuniorMen_FS_Scores.pdf

Not only credit, positive GOE.

Country
Russia
Well, he has his 3A this year. I imagine next year he will start quads. He will be junior next year too, I imagine since he is not old enough for senior; barely for junior.
And what about knees and backbone? And coxofemoral joint also.
I know a lot about skaters with these problems.

May be it is better to start quads at 16-17 and land them until 30.

Boyang Jin - thank you.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Nathan is simply a phenomenal talent. Bravo !

But I think AlexRus makes a good point. I really worry about the damage done to young bodies as a result of performing extremely punishing feats before the body is ready for it.

I'm truly apprehensive about the focus drifting back to quads as the be-all and end-all .

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I agree AlexRus-I have no idea whether these very young guys are doing terrible damage to their bodies. Certainly Evgeni Plushenko was doing everything at a very young age, but also he has had a lot of surgery.

What I do know is that no rules seem to be able to stop them from trying the hard stuff. Nothing keeps the young Russian ladies from doing very hard stuff at earlier & earlier ages. Nothing kept Tara Lipinski from ruining her hip that way either.

Competitive kids are like that. If they don't do these skills with their coach, they'll try them on their own, no doubt doing even more damage, since they will be inventing the technique rather than learning correct technique.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I do know that Nathan's coaches have been working for years to make sure he doesn't overdo on the jumps. I'm guessing Nathan would have been trying 3 axels at 10 if not for good coaching. I think they are trying hard to find a good balance.

icebeauty

On the Ice
I do know that Nathan's coaches have been working for years to make sure he doesn't overdo on the jumps. I'm guessing Nathan would have been trying 3 axels at 10 if not for good coaching. I think they are trying hard to find a good balance.

Also the fact that Nathan is very involved a LOT of extracurricular activities, he's not just living and breathing figure skating, which I believe will help save his body (and his mind) as he grows. But absolutely THRILLED for him...what a way to be welcomed to the world!

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Also the fact that Nathan is very involved a LOT of extracurricular activities, he's not just living and breathing figure skating, which I believe will help save his body (and his mind) as he grows. But absolutely THRILLED for him...what a way to be welcomed to the world!

I agree. Someone mentioned on the LP thread they thought Nathan was probably a practice demon. I know that until a year or so ago Nathan was only doing a couple of hours a day on the ice. I'm sure the ballet he did helped with ice training too. Last year he was still dancing in the annual Ballet West production of the Nutcracker as he has done for several years. Now his ISU bio lists his training as 30 hours a week in off season and 25 hours during the season. So his practice time has increased since he moved to Lake Arrowhead. Now is probably the appropriate time.

I think the key is his mental focus. He started training the 3 axel this year (I assume) and now he has it. Several of the senior men have been working on that jump for years with only partial success. I find his ability to master the things he sets his mind to to be simply amazing.