Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Men's SP JGP Austria 2012

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Must be since Nathan landed a 3A on the first try for the first time under real PRESSURE!! Unless sky_fly20 is implying the size of Nathan's jumps. As a comparative to his size, they are quite large but compared to an almost fully grown 17 year old, they're "small".
    I was happy he got the 3A since he had mixed results with the jump this summer. I agree that his jumps are big for his height.

Is Nathan still competing at the junior level nationally as well?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I was happy he got the 3A since he had mixed results with the jump this summer. I agree that his jumps are big for his height.

Is Nathan still competing at the junior level nationally as well?
    Yes he mentioned that after Nationals last season that he would stay junior another season in the US because he's still little and is just becoming old enough to compete as a junior internationally. I tend to think he'll be one of the contenders to make the JW team though, considering Joshua Farris, Jason Brown, and Harrison Choate are the only senior men young enough to still be sent.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Yes he mentioned that after Nationals last season that he would stay junior another season in the US because he's still little and is just becoming old enough to compete as a junior internationally. I tend to think he'll be one of the contenders to make the JW team though, considering Joshua Farris, Jason Brown, and Harrison Choate are the only senior men young enough to still be sent.
    Cool. Nathan will likely continue his winning streak at Nationals.

So per his birthday (5.5.1999), he won't be old enough for senior international competition until 2014-2015.

Custom Title
    WOW! I see a champion from the first second. Quality skating throughout. I remember saying about three years ago that all Nathan needed was power and speed which would come with size. And now still under 5 feet, he already has such speed and ice coverage!

Great carriage and positions. And beautiful extension in his very fast spins. Love his donut spin, along with Plushenko's (at his age!) and Han Yan's, no deep sea fishing with the butt sticking out a la J Brown.

Custom Title

So per his birthday (5.5.1999), he won't be old enough for senior international competition until 2014-2015.
    Yup! Too young for Sochi so he'll be aiming for Pyeonchang in 2018. I remember commentators mentioning that when he first won Novice at age 10! He really is something special though. What drive in a kid so young, his coaches must be honored to have him as a student!!

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Yup! Too young for Sochi so he'll be aiming for Pyeonchang in 2018. I remember commentators mentioning that when he first won Novice at age 10! He really is something special though. What drive in a kid so young, his coaches must be honored to have him as a student!!
    He's also a great pianist, so hence his musicality.

Hm...I need to start saving up for Pyeonchang!

Custom Title
    MENS SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULTS

1. Nathan CHEN (USA) - 75.15
    2. Sei KAWAHARA (JPN) - 61.73
    3. Ryuju HINO (JPN) - 60.41
    4. Andrei LAZUKIN (RUS) - 57.64
    5. Petr COUFAL (CZE) - 56.85
    6. Jay YOSTANTO (USA) - 53.84
    7. Feodosiy EFREMENKOV (RUS) - 53.45
    8. Viktor ROMANENKOV (EST) - 52.35
    9. Mitchell GORDON (CAN) - 51.08
    10. Jin Seo KIM (KOR) - 49.60
    11. Matthias VERSLUIS (FIN) - 48.76
    12. Niko ULANOVSKY (GER) - 47.39

Protocols
    Last edited by Mao88; 09-13-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Custom Title
    The thing that makes it for me is Nathan's ability to compete. Sometimes he isn't perfect but he seems to be able to bring it when he needs to. I first saw him at a local show in 2002 when he was about 4 and he was impressive in performance even then.

My only worry is when he grows (as with all young skaters) I have seen his brothers and they are hockey players - not little tiny. Maybe Nathan is more one parent's size than the other. He has to grow some at some point.

Custom Title

Is it actual?
    For high Senior Men level quad is needed.
    Did anybody land quad being yonger than 15?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Well, he has his 3A this year. I imagine next year he will start quads. He will be junior next year too, I imagine since he is not old enough for senior; barely for junior.

It is unknown what will happen to him when he grows, but he has very nice basics, and I have hopes.

Did Hanyu land a quad at 14? I know he did at 15?

How about Boyang Jin:
    http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013802.htm

His birthday is October 3, 1997

That would make him still 14.

He got credit for a quad at Courchevel
    http://www.isuresults.com/results/jg..._FS_Scores.pdf

Not only credit, positive GOE.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRus View Post
    Did anybody land quad being yonger than 15?
    Boyang Jin.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Well, he has his 3A this year. I imagine next year he will start quads. He will be junior next year too, I imagine since he is not old enough for senior; barely for junior.
    And what about knees and backbone? And coxofemoral joint also.
    I know a lot about skaters with these problems.

May be it is better to start quads at 16-17 and land them until 30.

Boyang Jin - thank you.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Nathan is simply a phenomenal talent. Bravo !

But I think AlexRus makes a good point. I really worry about the damage done to young bodies as a result of performing extremely punishing feats before the body is ready for it.

I'm truly apprehensive about the focus drifting back to quads as the be-all and end-all .
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 09-14-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I agree AlexRus-I have no idea whether these very young guys are doing terrible damage to their bodies. Certainly Evgeni Plushenko was doing everything at a very young age, but also he has had a lot of surgery.

What I do know is that no rules seem to be able to stop them from trying the hard stuff. Nothing keeps the young Russian ladies from doing very hard stuff at earlier & earlier ages. Nothing kept Tara Lipinski from ruining her hip that way either.

Competitive kids are like that. If they don't do these skills with their coach, they'll try them on their own, no doubt doing even more damage, since they will be inventing the technique rather than learning correct technique.

Custom Title
    I do know that Nathan's coaches have been working for years to make sure he doesn't overdo on the jumps. I'm guessing Nathan would have been trying 3 axels at 10 if not for good coaching. I think they are trying hard to find a good balance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast