Back to skating: My loop | Golden Skate

Back to skating: My loop

Noga L.

Rinkside
Hi everyone! As you may have read in my previous posts, I'm now trying to get back to skating after not having skated for almost 13 years.

My new skates are finally broken in now (thanks for all your tips!), and I have begun working on my elements (no major jumps, of course).

Due to circumstances (school, funding, distance) I get very little ice time, and much less coaching. There are hardly any other skaters around here as well. That's why I would like to post some videos of me here and receive feedbacks and tips.

I will start with the loop jump (why? i don't know, it's all I have on video so far).
Please watch and comment (you can be harsh as long as you top it off with a friendly comment :laugh:)

http://youtu.be/_NKYaV6MwVw

Thank you!

Last edited:

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
It's pretty good for so long off the ice. You want to increase your height though by jumping through the entire foot, with the toe pick leaving the ice last and the take off leg stretching fully. Try to vault the jump by bringing the free leg to an h position on take off, same basic principle as the axel. Your upper body is fine for the single, but if you want to turn it into a double, you want to be more across and a bit less scoopy with the arms.

treesprite

Final Flight
I'm impressed. When I came back after 17 years it took me a few months. When I came back this last time after 4 years, well, I still can't do it and I've been back 10 months.

Noga L.

Rinkside
Thank you so much. I think it's mostly about overcoming your fear and letting yourself take off the ice.
I tend to use my toe pick too much on this one, I guess because I'm afraid of slipping on my outside edge. I'll try to do all those things you said and post another video when it looks better.
Thanks again =]

Last edited:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Your loop jumps is really good, considering that you've been without skating for so many years! When you feel more comfortable, you can try to land it with more speed and on a deeper outside edge! You could post also videos of your toeloop or salchow jump, we'll help you the best we can! :agree:

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Thank you so much. I think it's mostly about overcoming your fear and letting yourself take off the ice.
I tend to use my toe pick too much on this one, I guess because I'm afraid of slipping on my outside edge. I'll try to do all those things you said and post another video when it looks better.
Thanks again =]

You don't want to be using the toe pick on the entry edge, just for the actual jump as the last thing to leave the ice.

Noga L.

Rinkside
Thanks! I'm actually surprised, I wasn't sure I would be able to do all single jumps in just a couple of weeks (well, except for the axel of course) but the truth is that some of them I perform very poorly. I can't seem to get a good lift off the ice and I'm not really sure what the reason for that is.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Thanks! I'm actually surprised, I wasn't sure I would be able to do all single jumps in just a couple of weeks (well, except for the axel of course) but the truth is that some of them I perform very poorly. I can't seem to get a good lift off the ice and I'm not really sure what the reason for that is.

so much in skating is muscle memory and timing. Getting those things to work right is what takes us so long to "get" our jumps in the first place on ice when many of us can land high double-triples off-ice. Getting the timing right tales a while but you seem to have fairly smooth edges and good technique, so it shouldn't e too long. Continue to practice them, and do off-ice strengthening exercises to bulid up that muscle again in your legs.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Spin class would defiantly be good for building up muscle and cardio endurance. Also if running is a problem, try rollerblading. It's low impact and uses a similar set of muscles to skating.