Today's SOI Broadcast | Golden Skate

Today's SOI Broadcast

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Paul Wylie's JFK...oh my! I wish Mike would try some programs like this. Elena Bechke was so elegant, I miss her skating. Segeii and Katia, such a loss but I am pleased that Katia has found new happiness. Good to see Okasana back doing what she does best. STILL hate the chair number.

Complaint: Why couldn't Johnny Z. read ALL of the cities the tour will be visiting. That alone would be worth taping.:D ;) :love:

Piel

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I couldn't understand why they picked the chair number as one of the top numbers. I still think it's stupid.
Seeing Sergei broke my heart. :cry:

windspirit

On the Ice
Well, I would've liked to see this year's show (are they going to show it later? I've heard that maybe in March), but I must say that the compilation was rather nice.

Paul Wylie - loved him. Not only his Tribute to JFK, but everything they showed of him (and he had some groovy moves :laugh: ).

Yuka without make up, and with her hair down, is just stunning. Wow.

S & P's "dancers" number seems like fun.

I liked Scott's "Hair" number very much (never saw it before). Maybe because I love "Hair", but the choreography was interesting and Scott actually did some skating for a change. :p

Steve Cousins always skates the same number...

I wished they showed some of Kulik's programs.

The new "at work" number looks very promising. :D

Kurt with more hair looked great, and skated very nice.

I was rolling with laughter when they showed Scott being chased by Lloyd Eisler in drag. Nice choreography, lol.

Overall, it was a nice compilation, and there weren't many commercials in between, which was really a plus.

Piel said:
Complaint: Why couldn't Johnny Z. read ALL of the cities the tour will be visiting. That alone would be worth taping.
I had the same thought, not about John, though. ;) Anton was funny with his "Massa...tchu...attchutttsedtsssbaaaa." :laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
JFK is definately a masterpiece

I really enjoyed this special(though I would have liked to see some of this years show). I really liked seeing the stuff pre-92/93(I have 92/93 thru to the present on tape:))... overall really nice

although Kurt was jipped... he should have made the top 8! LOL

I agree, Toni. I was expecting either Brick House or the Clown in the place of the "tie" between the two grand finales.

Wasn't Paul fantatic? Of course Kristi's Doop-doop is one of my all-time favorites.:love:

Windspirit, what would be really funny is if they went on a tour of Russia and made the American skaters try to pronounce the names of the cities in Russian.:)

Mathman

Last edited:

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
An hour and a half ad for SOI - expensive way of getting the word out. Enjoyed it, though. Until recently, I paid little attention to pro skating so I hadn't seen much of what was shown.

Loved Paul's JKF ... the line on his inside spread eagle is stunning. I also really enjoyed the chair program and the number with Kurt, Scott, and Paul all in black.

I'm very tempted to see this year's show in San Jose next weekend. I shouldn't spend the money, but I want to see Kurt before he retires for good, Yuka, and the SLC pairs. Looks like an entertaining show.

CB1AB2

Medalist
I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING EVERYONE SAID=I ENJOYED IT TOO=POOR ANTON TRYING TO SAY MASSACHUSETTS=I'VE GOT MY TICKETS AND CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE SHOW LIVE=IT COMES TO MASS IN FEB. IT WOULD BE GREAT IF PAUL SKATED IN THIS SHOW I WOULD LOVE TO SEE HIM LIVE=

cb

bleuchick

On the Ice
I loved it too.

1. P.Wylie.
2. Pretty Lloyd chasing Scott :laugh: :laugh:
3. Torvil and Dean
4. comedy - this is pretty much why I am going this year. I am so glad Scott is back! The funny numbers are gonna be fun to see for sure. :D :D

IDLERACER

Medalist
[COLOR=0080FF]I saw them do the chair number live. It looked more like a BLUE MEN routine, than a skating demonstration. I just zeroed my binoculars in on Rene Roca :love: and enjoyed the show.[/COLOR]

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
my one question is... before now was Lloyd and Scott's routine EVER SHOWN on TV??? If so I HAVE TO HAVE A COPY OF THE FULKL ROUTINE! That was just priceless... the Katarina Witt/Scott make out is cute... but Lloyd litterally had my dad on the floor howling with laughter! I NEED THAT PROGRAM! LOL

Pookie

Final Flight
I enjoyed the show, also. My husband actually let me turn off the playoffs for a little while. :) I hadn't seen several of the top 8 so it wasn't all reruns for me. Paul Wylie is always wonderful to watch. I think "The Chairmen is a fun number.

I'm really jealous of all who get to see a live show.

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Lloyd does drag better than any other skater. Patricia the Stripper was one of his best, IMO.

Piel

pairsfan

On the Ice
Tonichelle,

The Lloyd/Scott number is from 1996 Canadian Stars on Ice. I have it on tape. PM me if you want a copy.

This show is being trashed on every other message board. It was everything I hate about skating:

props
bad costumes
men in drag
clowns

At least we got to see some of our old favorites from the glory days of SOI. Too bad the clips were so short.

This year's show was great. I hope you all get to see it.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Apparently, A&E is scheduled to show the 2004 SOI in March. Anyhow, I think the Marketing & PR departments for SOI are doing a wonderful job this year, thank God. They showed us just enough to arouse our curiosity. I thought the NBC show was good.

Dee

Jhar55

Medalist
Loved the show knew I should have taped it. Also liked the lloyd and Scott routine. tharrtell if you've got the chance to see the show go for it, your lucky there in your area. Not getting to see any this year due to the fact that neither show will be in my area.

shdotz

On the Ice
SOI Show

Since I've seen most of what was presented on SOI last night, it was double joy. Especially I loved G&G and Paul Wylie. It's going to take some truly excellent skaters with total integrety to replace them - or, probably I should say - match their excellence. No one can replace them. Especially G&G.

I'm so pleased Katia and Kulik are together. they did a couple of steamy skates on SOI a few years back. SOI showed one clip of them together which pleased me greatly.

All in all, it was a good show. I liked the chair number because I watched the different personalities take charge and compared them to others doing the same thing. Kulik and Sur were the best by far. Their minds are brilliant.

I just would like to have seen some of the new numbers that are for 2004. I know it was a teaser to get more people to get out and buy tickets; I think it worked. I just can't do that anymore and the SOI on TV is something I looked forward to each year.

I have come to two of their shows in Orlando; I came to one competition in Daytona Beach. I wish I could do more. Good figure skating really is beautiful and is one of my passions.

sh

linnylee

Spectator
I really enjoyed this lengthy commercial, but sure hope they are going to show the real show down the line. For those of us here in the wilderness (Butte, MT) , seeing SOI live is not much of an option--I think the closest place this year is Denver, and that's a "fur piece" to travel. For its first 3 years in business, SOI started its tour here, and always had standing room only crowds. I always wonder if sold-out crowds in smaller arenas aren't better than poor sales in big ones, but apparently not. :(

I LOVE SOI and I only started going in '93 to see Paul Wylie. From '93 to '98 I saw both SOI and COI every year, but then they stopped bringing COI to NYC. They are different kinds of shows and different people tend to like one more than the other. I started off like both equally, but as time went on, I came to prefer SOI. I like the continuity of having a theme from beginning to end, seeing skaters do more than one number, the creativity, and especially the group pieces, whether they be a trio or the entire cast. One of the best pieces of choreography I've ever scene in dance or figure skating was Sandra Bezic's "Four Corners" in '99.

I love "Chairmen" (big surprise, lol). I once did a dance on rolling typewriter chairs and let me tell you, the specific strength you need in your thighs is killer. Of course I understand that some people wouldn't like it, but from a skating standpoint, it's HARD!

I too wished they'd shown more Ilia, but at least we got to see him in "Chairmen." Besides, with him being conspicuously absent from the tour, for whatever reason, SOI isn't exactly going to advertise, "And here is Ilia Kulik doing one of our Top 8 Great Skates--but he's not with SOI anymore even though he's still skating." I won't kvetch; for all I know it's Ilia's decision not to do SOI. I sure wish he would though. He was the star of the show from '99 through '02 and that's not opinion, it's fact--because my "cool guy, wouldn't be caught dead at a skating show" cousin said, "I say that guy's stealin' the show!";) I do hope he skates with SOI again someday--soon.

Paul Wylie, Kristi, and Ilia--consistently the most brilliant skaters I've ever seen and they could do ANYTHING, from drama to comedy. Paul's dramatic routines are the ones most people remember him for and what he mostly did, but you wouldn't believe how funny he could be. I even didn't hate the clown numbers, lol. I also keep going back because I found I really enjoyed seeing the skaters evolve and grow each year. Kristi started out as an excellent performer, but after 10 years, she was the consummate performer/skater. Really a master. Kurt too, and Paul. Scott, of course, is in a class by himself.

I agree Piel, Lloyd Eisler should get a special medal for his drag routines. Now that is panache! There were times I wished I could have seen the Canadian SOI live just to see Herbie and Fred.

Am I going back this year? You betcha. I'm curious to see how the change in artistic direction will manifest itself. The reviews I've heard have been good:)
Rgirl

LarasB

Rinkside
I forgot that they were broadcasting SOI that day, which I though was the 2004 tour, so I missed the first 20 minutes of the program. I was pleasantly surprised to see the old routines. It was sad to see Sergei because I loved G&G and it was such a loss to the skating world, let alone what Katia and Daria had to go through. I am happy for Katia that she was able to rebuild her life. All in all, I enjoyed it very much. Seeing Paul Wylie skate to JFK - that was great. I hope they televise the SOI 2004 because I can never go to live shows because of my finances.:)