Should Youtube (google) censor content | Golden Skate

Should Youtube (google) censor content

skateluvr

Record Breaker
They have blocked the video that inflamed the violence in the arab world in two countries. What do people feel about this. Live in fear and censor all that might incite the crazies? What is the answer? It seems an issue now without a good resolution. I do not have the answer but pose the question for intelligent, thoughtful, opinions.

gmyers

Record Breaker
They censored the michelle obama monkey picture and do it all the time but it is wrong. They also work with China's government to ban all tianemen square content.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
You don't pay youtube to display your videos. There is no contractual arrangement with users that they have to run their stuff.

Book publishers reject manuscripts.

Skating & other forums ban spammers routinely, and ban posters for hate speech, as we do here on Golden Skate.

And Google is not the public square, owned by the government, and therefore free to all to stand on a soap box and say whatever they like.

Posting on youtube is a privilege, not a right. Essentially, you are a guest at youtube. And consequently, they have a right to throw you out of their house if they don't like your content.

I do wonder whether the folks at Google, who bought youtube some years ago, will be utilizing the same software they use to detect copyright violations (and ban users because of them) to ban hate speech videos now?

Oh, Lord, what a miserable situation. If I were Google, I'd ban this scurrilous piece of muck, especially considering how dangerous it is now. As for free speech rights, several American political and judicial figures have used the phrase "the Constitution is not a suicide pact." If ever there were an example of yelling FIRE in a crowded theater, this is it. The theater is Planet Earth, crowded with 7 billion people (or fish in a barrel), and moreover, the video uses vile lies and crude language to stir up emotions. Banning it does not set a precedent for free speech, and in any case, as you point out, Doris, YouTube is neither the steps of the Capitol Building nor the pages of the New York Times or the Washington Post.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I tend to see this as Olympia and Doris, but it begs the question, will the west be constantly banning any anti-islamic speech in all mannner of vehicles to avoid the violent crazies attacks on any American they can find? The US govt. says we don't negotiate with terrorists, but we obviously do. The attack in Libya was a well coordinated two step process from the little I read. (I cried watching the ceremony yesterday, it is very upsetting to me as a Christian to see things worsening between us and islam all the time. I did not see the video, but I recall when a southern Pastor threatened to burn the Koran, there was a similar reaction, though I do not recall if people died during those protests.

The question seems so very delicate because there are many preachers who speak regularly on the television about the growing dangers for Christians in many countries and explain Islam in ways not always complimentary. Are they to shut up? If free speech is countered with planned murder of ? by a mob or terrorist group, then are we letting the violent fringe win? This is the quandary we are in, and it seems to be getting worse.

I was surprised there was not a huge response from parts of the Arab world when Osama was taken out. In this post 9/11 world, every thing is so dangerous. I cannot believe that this stupid trash video which was done by one person and left on Youtube would be seen, would be taken seriously and reacted upon in such a senseless manner.

I am very frightened for Americans in harms way. I lived in Guatemala in 1981 when much was going down in Central America. But I felt safe, as they were not killing Americans, and were very afraid to do so. They were killing teacher of literacy to the indigenous people, and even clergy, but tourists were left alone, and I know there would have been a huge response by the US Govt if one of us was kidnapped or shot.

What is the answer? Should the press clamp down on any articles where these people are discussed for fear of reprisal? How much do we stifle for fear of the over the top senseless brutality we just witnessed?

evangeline

Record Breaker
Even if Youtube does choose to censor content, the diffusion of media technologies makes full suppression virtually impossible.