Evening with Champions - Updated with Reviews | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Evening with Champions - Updated with Reviews

Doris and Eyria, thanks so much for the detailed reports. I felt as if I had been there. Doris, I'm so glad you and Mr. Ski were able to get there and even locate seating. It's nice to hear about Emily's graduation and the fact that Christina Gao is at Harvard. What with Wylie, Dick Button, and John Misha Petkevich, Harvard can be called a skating school.

You lucky ducks, to see the Haydenettes! They are such an incredible group. How can human beings who don't have telepathic powers synchronize so well. (Doris, I love your account of several of them texting completely in synch.)

I'm glad you saw Jeremy's program choreographed by Benji Schwimmer, one of my favorite dancers in the world. I'm relieved Jeremy didn't injure himself jumping on the pitted ice....

I'll look forward to Kimmie's program. She was one of my favorite American champions, and though it's regrettable that her growth spurt affected her skating ability, I can never be sorry to see someone grow bigger and stronger. It will be interesting to see how she competes in the Medal Winners' Open. Eyria, you say that she'd been mostly off the ice for a few years? Maybe if she has started training again, she might regain skills and be able to do more in terms of a competitive career. (I can dream, can't I?)

Eyria, I agree with you about Paul Wylie. I could watch him just skating crossovers. His posture and extensions, his commitment to every movement, will always pull me in. He's on my forever list for sure.

And thanks so much for the links, Doris--both the ones for this show and the reference ones (especially Rahkamo/Kokko!).

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Thank you so much, Doris and eyria! Those detailed reports are very much appreciated!

Jeremy Abbott's skating speed was a surprise to me too when I watched him live the first time. So fast, smooth, and quiet! What a shame that his nerves have prevented him from getting higher positions in competitions! I'm so looking forward to seeing him compete at SA!

Kimmie has changed so much! She is a lot prettier now.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Somebody was running a TV camera there, so perhaps the rest of you will be able to see 2012 Evening With Champions sometime, too. I hope so. It was a good show.

For those interested in even more than the YouTube videos [and the detailed reports here on GS :)]:

Today's IN article about An Evening With Champions says, "Look for video of the show to be available on icenetwork.com in the near future."
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121001&content_id=39300890&vkey=ice_news

I seem to recall that the show's advance publicity also had said something about availability of video on IN.
But I don't know whether it will be available only to IN subscribers. And I don't know whether that means complete video of every single moment.​