Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cynthia Phaneuf

Custom Title
    Sorry, I didn't remember all the rules for the olympic team event and I thought it said you have to put you best skaters but you can fill in or substitute in 2 events with someone else (second) So since Joannie doesn't want to skate individually if Canada had only one spot in ladies the the first lady could take the individual position and if joannie were second Skate Canada could elect to let Joannie skate in the team event or at least the Freeskate. But I do not know the rules.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    I believe these are the relevant passages from the Olympic team event rules:

NOCs/ISU Members with Teams who have qualified Skaters/Couples in an individual OWG competition/discipline (Single Lady, Single Man, Pair Skating, Ice Dance), must list the respective qualified Skaters/Couples of such discipline also as entries for the Figure Skating Team Event and may not enter different Skaters/Couples for such discipline.

The Skaters/Couples competing in the Free Skating must be the same as those having competed in the Short Program/Short Dance, however each Team has the option to replace up to two (2) entries (two Single Skaters or one Single Skater (Lady or Man) plus one couple (Pair Skating or Ice Dance) or both the Pair Skating and Ice Dance Couples) between the Short Program/Short Dance and the Fee [sic] Skating/Free Dance provided such Skaters/Couple is part of the accredited delegation on site of the OWG.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    I believe these are the relevant passages from the Olympic team event rules:

NOCs/ISU Members with Teams who have qualified Skaters/Couples in an individual OWG competition/discipline (Single Lady, Single Man, Pair Skating, Ice Dance), must list the respective qualified Skaters/Couples of such discipline also as entries for the Figure Skating Team Event and may not enter different Skaters/Couples for such discipline.

The Skaters/Couples competing in the Free Skating must be the same as those having competed in the Short Program/Short Dance, however each Team has the option to replace up to two (2) entries (two Single Skaters or one Single Skater (Lady or Man) plus one couple (Pair Skating or Ice Dance) or both the Pair Skating and Ice Dance Couples) between the Short Program/Short Dance and the Fee [sic] Skating/Free Dance provided such Skaters/Couple is part of the accredited delegation on site of the OWG.
    I would interpret that as being if you have more than one skater/team qualified for the Olympics you may make a substitution. But if you only have 1 ladies skaters, you don't have that option.

Custom Title
    Exactly. If a federation has qualified just one skater in a discipline, a substitute skater may be designated before the start of the event, but once the event begins, the skater who takes the ice is the one and only skater who can participate. Should that skater withdraw at any point during the competition, the federation will have no representative in that discipline for the duration.

Custom Title
    Well from what people are saying about the Olympic team medals it does not look good for a Rochette return. At least she is honest; she doesn't want to compete in singles only team. So I don't think she will return. What I appreciate about some comments that Virtue and Moir recently made and Rochette is that they are a little more open and honest and do not sugar coat everything. Ie. A person is injured or starting a new partnership - while you should be optimistic the truth is there is usually some doubt and some healing or growing time expected. Like I said we can't always be improving. Same thing with puberty it is nice to say I love a challenge but really... Rochette said she was still stoked by competition but at least admits she doesn't want to compete singly which suggests she does not want to get that competitive and or questiosn her jumps though she says she still has them all. And Virtue and Moir while optimistic sort of admitted by their comments and tone that they aren't thrilled by the choice of the SD but are doing the best they can and they admitted Carment was an over used piece so they don't sugar coat everything. I like that honesty and transparency. But Canada's ladies even with Lacoste's recent bronze isn't overly bright.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2