Cynthia Phaneuf | Golden Skate

Cynthia Phaneuf

mariposa

Rinkside
It's been a while since any mention of Cynthia Phaneuf...how's she doing with her injury? I didn't see her in the Skate Canada National Photo. I'm hoping she's

doing better, getting healthy, and is on the road to recovery. Any information??

callalily

On the Ice
Here's an article published at the time of the High Performance Camp (she was absent).

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/autre...la-carriere-de-cynthia-phaneuf-compromise.php

The gist is that the stress fracture in her back has compromised her season and possibly also her career (hopefully the writer isn't overdramatizing here, but I suppose it's a reasonable statement). Paraphrasing Mike Slipchuk's comments - SC was planning to meet with her the following week to discuss her situation. He says the new rules (minimum score requirements) are hard for her (i.e. because she's missing the GP season and won't get a chance to earn minimum scores) and he understands she may be thinking seriously about her future.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Here's an article published at the time of the High Performance Camp (she was absent).

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/autre...la-carriere-de-cynthia-phaneuf-compromise.php

The gist is that the stress fracture in her back has compromised her season and possibly also her career (hopefully the writer isn't overdramatizing here, but I suppose it's a reasonable statement). Paraphrasing Mike Slipchuk's comments - SC was planning to meet with her the following week to discuss her situation. He says the new rules (minimum score requirements) are hard for her (i.e. because she's missing the GP season and won't get a chance to earn minimum scores) and he understands she may be thinking seriously about her future.
It's very sad... :cry: When, in 2010, se placed 5th at Worlds, and then 4th at both her GPs and won the national title in 2010-2011, everyone was considering her a top-level skater, a contender for at least the top-ten at Worlds, now she won't probably qualify for 4CC, Worlds or Olympics, and (from what you wrote) she's considering retirement, what a sad way to end a career after that exploit in 2010...

callalily

On the Ice
The article has a pessimistic tone, but she hasn't made any announcement, so maybe she will still decide to continue.

It's a shame that she became injured at this point. She hasn't had a chance yet to see what her coaching change to Orser can really do for her skating. But OTOH she is around 24 years old and may be looking at her career after skating. I wish her the best whatever she decides.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It is a sad way to end a career, but the fact is Cythnia's career peaked in the 2009-2010 season (3 years ago). Cynthia's performances over her last two seasons (2010-2011 and 2011-2012) have gradually deteriorated, culminating in losses to Lacoste at both Canadians 2012 and 4CC 2012.

callalily

On the Ice
I look at it from a different perspective. Cynthia has two Canadian titles to her name, and she should feel proud that after winning her first title at a young age, she kept fighting through the challenges she faced as she grew and her body matured, to make it to the Olympics in 2010, finish 5th at Worlds that year and recapture her national title in 2011.

These are excellent career accomplishments and she can move on to new challenges (whenever she decides) with a strong sense of pride in what she's achieved as an athlete.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FWIW, last month, Phaneuf had this Twitter conversation:

Cynthia Phaneuf ‏@PhaneufCynthia
Just got accepted to the #collegeofsportsmedia, can't wait to start this new challenge :)
12:10 PM - 5 Aug 12 ·

Monsieur Alan ‏@Monsieur_Alan
@PhaneufCynthia Felicitations! Where is it? Does this mean you're done competing?
12:34 PM - 5 Aug 12

Cynthia Phaneuf ‏@PhaneufCynthia
@Monsieur_Alan I'm not done competing, injured for the moment and taking that time off 2 orient myself towards new goals for my after career
12:39 PM - 5 Aug 12 ·
[emphasis added]​

And last week, IMG agent David Baden @DavidBaden sent a tweet about her, incl. an off-ice photo:
Just finished meeting with the wonderful @PhaneufCynthia in NYC. Shop therapy! @skatebuzz @SkateCanada @icenetwork pic.twitter.com/xMP4uchK
4:06 PM - 12 Sep 12​

hohoho

On the Ice
Phaeuf didn't show up for the SC National Team either. Where she is not doing GP it didn;t involve any ice time. She was still absent. And living in Toronto.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hmm, I wish we knew the rules for the team competition. Looks like Amelie is Canada's best hope for world's and only realistic shot. Osmond is young and still developing and who knows if last year was a fluke. I had high hopes with Cynthia. But maybe Canada could manipulate the rules if we knew what the rules were for the Olympic team competition. It may be possible to manipulate the situation so that if Canada has only 1 spot for ladies they could use it for someone else and have Joannie Rochette as no. 2 and she could then still compete in the team competition if the rules allowed it. I think the rules say you have to skate in the individual event of course if there is only one spotand she was th e back up it may allow her to skate as no. 2 Canadian woman and then help Canada to medal as a team.

hohoho

On the Ice
Hmm, I wish we knew the rules for the team competition. Looks like Amelie is Canada's best hope for world's and only realistic shot. Osmond is young and still developing and who knows if last year was a fluke. I had high hopes with Cynthia. But maybe Canada could manipulate the rules if we knew what the rules were for the Olympic team competition. It may be possible to manipulate the situation so that if Canada has only 1 spot for ladies they could use it for someone else and have Joannie Rochette as no. 2 and she could then still compete in the team competition if the rules allowed it. I think the rules say you have to skate in the individual event of course if there is only one spotand she was th e back up it may allow her to skate as no. 2 Canadian woman and then help Canada to medal as a team.

Look past this Olympic cycle and look at 2018. Give the younger skaters time to develop. Some good results on the JGP so far. Hopefully they can continue with the momentum that Osmond started last year. Lacoste will not be around for Olympics 2018. Canada won a medal at WTT with poor performances by Lacoste and Phaneuf. What would be so different at the Olympics? Perhaps Lacoste will build off of SLC. Hopefully Osmond will show last year was not a fluke. If Osmond places ahead of Lacoste at SCI, does that make her the front runner going into Nationals? Hopefully one of the ladies can step up on home soil and get a top 10 in London.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

I could swear that the ISU spelled out the official rules for the Olympic team event quite a while ago. (And I do mean the Olympic team event, as opposed to World Team Trophy.)
Some of us here on GS discussed the Olympic rules in detail at the time.
Are you expecting the ISU to revise the Olympic rules -- and if so, when? I don't recall any official indication that they intend to do so. [Wishful thinking is another matter. ;)]

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So far, Osmond is the only Canadian lady to have achieved the minimum TES required to compete at Worlds.

Lacoste didn't make it last season, and she didn't do it at the SLC Senior B because she landed only one combo in her FS.

Even if some more Canadian ladies achieve the minimum, only one can go to Worlds 2013, and it's doubtful any of them can score high enough to earn more than one spot for Sochi.

It is my understanding that just ONE lady can be on the Canadian team for Sochi, and that lady would have to do the team event first, then the individual SP and FS. I don't know how Skate Canada can "manipulate" the rules to allow multiple ladies on the Canadian team so Rochette can do the team event. To even suggest that Skate Canada is in a position to demand special privileges is outrageous.

We don't even know if Rochette is even interested in going to Sochi. Her choice of the Medalwinners event over the more competitive Japan Open would indicate otherwise.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I double-checked, and the name of the ISU document that includes the rules for the Olympic team event is:
"Qualification System for XXII Olympic Winter Games, Sochi 2014" (the one for Figure Skating and Ice Dance, of course -- as opposed to speed skating or short track).
Getting around those rules just does not seem realistic.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I love that the canadian ladies are not always the conventional beauties but Canada loves them each for diversity. Joannie Rochette knows how to maximize her look on the ice, and she moves in such a gorgeous, sophisticated way. Joannie kind of decided she was an ice princess and exudes that je ne sais crois thing...She held her own with the likes of Asada and Kim. So very special. I think Cynthia has such a beautiful face. I wonder where her ancestors come from? I think she has done well in skating, where tiny girls who rotate like tops are prized. Now we have Amelie who I know nothing about except her extraordinary cat eyes captivate me on close ups. I am not much of a fan but things could change.

Who will take Joannie's place? When will a Canadian woman win gold at the Olys? Canada's men, pairs, ice dancers make us proud. I wish Rochette was returning. I'm sure SC wishes same.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Sorry, I didn't remember all the rules for the olympic team event and I thought it said you have to put you best skaters but you can fill in or substitute in 2 events with someone else (second) So since Joannie doesn't want to skate individually if Canada had only one spot in ladies the the first lady could take the individual position and if joannie were second Skate Canada could elect to let Joannie skate in the team event or at least the Freeskate. But I do not know the rules.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I believe these are the relevant passages from the Olympic team event rules:

NOCs/ISU Members with Teams who have qualified Skaters/Couples in an individual OWG competition/discipline (Single Lady, Single Man, Pair Skating, Ice Dance), must list the respective qualified Skaters/Couples of such discipline also as entries for the Figure Skating Team Event and may not enter different Skaters/Couples for such discipline.

The Skaters/Couples competing in the Free Skating must be the same as those having competed in the Short Program/Short Dance, however each Team has the option to replace up to two (2) entries (two Single Skaters or one Single Skater (Lady or Man) plus one couple (Pair Skating or Ice Dance) or both the Pair Skating and Ice Dance Couples) between the Short Program/Short Dance and the Fee [sic] Skating/Free Dance provided such Skaters/Couple is part of the accredited delegation on site of the OWG.​

hohoho

On the Ice
I believe these are the relevant passages from the Olympic team event rules:

NOCs/ISU Members with Teams who have qualified Skaters/Couples in an individual OWG competition/discipline (Single Lady, Single Man, Pair Skating, Ice Dance), must list the respective qualified Skaters/Couples of such discipline also as entries for the Figure Skating Team Event and may not enter different Skaters/Couples for such discipline.

The Skaters/Couples competing in the Free Skating must be the same as those having competed in the Short Program/Short Dance, however each Team has the option to replace up to two (2) entries (two Single Skaters or one Single Skater (Lady or Man) plus one couple (Pair Skating or Ice Dance) or both the Pair Skating and Ice Dance Couples) between the Short Program/Short Dance and the Fee [sic] Skating/Free Dance provided such Skaters/Couple is part of the accredited delegation on site of the OWG.​

I would interpret that as being if you have more than one skater/team qualified for the Olympics you may make a substitution. But if you only have 1 ladies skaters, you don't have that option.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Exactly. If a federation has qualified just one skater in a discipline, a substitute skater may be designated before the start of the event, but once the event begins, the skater who takes the ice is the one and only skater who can participate. Should that skater withdraw at any point during the competition, the federation will have no representative in that discipline for the duration.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well from what people are saying about the Olympic team medals it does not look good for a Rochette return. At least she is honest; she doesn't want to compete in singles only team. So I don't think she will return. What I appreciate about some comments that Virtue and Moir recently made and Rochette is that they are a little more open and honest and do not sugar coat everything. Ie. A person is injured or starting a new partnership - while you should be optimistic the truth is there is usually some doubt and some healing or growing time expected. Like I said we can't always be improving. Same thing with puberty it is nice to say I love a challenge but really... Rochette said she was still stoked by competition but at least admits she doesn't want to compete singly which suggests she does not want to get that competitive and or questiosn her jumps though she says she still has them all. And Virtue and Moir while optimistic sort of admitted by their comments and tone that they aren't thrilled by the choice of the SD but are doing the best they can and they admitted Carment was an over used piece so they don't sugar coat everything. I like that honesty and transparency. But Canada's ladies even with Lacoste's recent bronze isn't overly bright.