Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: CoC and NHK GP assignments in the light of new developments

Rinkside
    Is COC the Lexus Cup of China ? Is Lexus the Japanese car manufacturer ?

Quote Originally Posted by fwsf View Post
    Is COC the Lexus Cup of China ? Is Lexus the Japanese car manufacturer ?
    Yes, indeed. Lexus China and the ISU negotiated the naming sponsorship rights only three weeks ago.

As I understand it, Lexus is in kind of a bind with respect to the China market. The company would very much like to expand its presence, but is handicapped vis-a-vis its European competitors (Audi, Mercedes-Bemz) because Lexus manufactures cars only in Japan and the United States. So they have to import parts from China, assemble the cars, then ship the cars back to China.

Also, China has high tariffs and import quotas for cars with large engines, forcing Lexus to build more units of the less powerful and hybrid models. Sponsorship of the Cup and China, and other figure skating projects recently announced, will fall flat if the Japanese skaters are withdrawn.

I believe that Toyota (Lexus' parent company) is Miki Ando's big sponsor.

I understand that this says that the Japanese skaters will compete at CoC? Very good news, if so.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I understand that this says that the Japanese skaters will compete at CoC? Very good news, if so.
    Yes, it says JSF decided not to withdraw J-skaters from Cup of China. They will monitor the situation and might use some extra security measure for skaters if it is necessary.

Another play on words?

Japan considers Cup of China pullout

Thanks for the updates.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gsk8 View Post
    Possibly not. It turned out that at least one J-source to my knowledge indeed mentioned a week-10 days time frame and the possibility of withdraw. http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/winter...do_sp-spo.html

Maybe JSF wants more attention from ISU on the subject of safety for skaters. Those ISU great-granddads have been so annoyingly quiet.....

Custom Title
    Is this the venue that opens off a shopping mall, with free admission, and people wander in and out with their shopping bags and take-out food throughout the competition? If so, I imagine it would be very difficult to provide security for the athletes. Someone, please tell me I'm in the wrong nightmare.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by slipslidin View Post
    Is this the venue that opens off a shopping mall, with free admission, and people wander in and out with their shopping bags and take-out food throughout the competition? If so, I imagine it would be very difficult to provide security for the athletes. Someone, please tell me I'm in the wrong nightmare.
    Definitely wrong nightmare. It's held in a regular sports arena just like anywhere else in the world, with typical security of ticketholder-only checkpoints, WTMD's, bag xrays, in-arena security. Normally at any athletic event in China where Japanese athletes are competing, there is extra security put on--it's been this way for years. For team sports matches such as football (soccer) and the like where Japan is competing, usually things like plastic water bottles are banned from the venue. Normally for figure skating, restrictions aren't that draconian but this year might be different. As I said upthread, I don't think the competition/practice venue is the potential problem.

ETA: photo link here: http://a103830828.designer.mynet.cn/_d275361174.htm
    Last edited by bigsisjiejie; 09-23-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Custom Title
    Thank you, bigsisjiejie, I've been worried about this, but was reluctant to ask. You've helped me to keep my nightmares straight.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4