CoC and NHK GP assignments in the light of new developments | Page 3 | Golden Skate

CoC and NHK GP assignments in the light of new developments

NMURA

Medalist
I wonder how many GP TBA slots are left at this late date. I would think that all of the spots are taken. Thank you or the link.

I guess it's just "transfer". If Russia accepts Asada and Takahashi, they will have 11 Men and Ladies. Under the extraordinary circumstances, and especially the safety of athletes is at stake, they don't need to stick to number quotas. NHK trophy can accept Machida and Ando (if she chooses to compete)..

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I'm starting to think that Japanese government wants to make things worse.
The "article" is not an article at all but a post/comment of an annonymous poster on this blog (fsnews.ru is not a media, it's basically a private site/blog where posters write their stuff). The comment doesn't mention any Cup of Russia for J-skaters to be transfered to and basically the poster retyped/translated in Russian the stuff that was here on GS 3-4 days ago. Nothing new there. We should wait for the official JSF federation announcement on this matter if any comes. Seems like things come down in fact.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
^^ Well, that's all speculation. But it wouldn't be very fair to the rest of the skaters assigned to CoR, who would have to contend with a bigger field and more seeded skaters. It would also leave CoC with one seeded man and no seeded ladies. And it goes against the regulations and the GP announcement. Of course, the JSF is a powerful federation, so if the ISU wants to I am sure they can find a loophole. I just don't think they should, unless there is clear indication closer to the timing of CoC that it would be unsafe for the Japanese skaters to take part.

I'm starting to think that Japanese government wants to make things worse.
Your posts suggest that you've been thinking that all along. And the politics thread on this is closed, so I suggest you focus on the skating, as others have done.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Is 10 the maximum number of participants for singles or is it 12? I would think that any transfer between countries that goes over the set limit will have to involve the ISU.

NMURA

Medalist
it goes against the regulations and the GP announcement. Of course, the JSF is a powerful federation, so if the ISU wants to I am sure they can find a loophole. I just don't think they should, unless there is clear indication closer to the timing of CoC that it would be unsafe for the Japanese skaters to take part.

We all know the ISU is very flexible on "rules." They allowed Plushenko to participate Europeans last year even though he didn't have minimum score. Japanese and French federations "swapped men" (so to speak) in this year's GP assignments. As for GP events, host federations seem to have very wide discretion. When they agree on something, the ISU can just give a rubber stamp to them. If some federation (e.g. USA) wants to transfer some of athletes from Russia to "easier" China, it could be arranged.

Anyway, Cup of China will be a commercial failure. No top Japanese skaters will go to China next year (along with sponsors). It's possible that CoC itself could be transferred to a different country.

Last edited:
Is COC the Lexus Cup of China ? Is Lexus the Japanese car manufacturer ?

Yes, indeed. :) Lexus China and the ISU negotiated the naming sponsorship rights only three weeks ago.

As I understand it, Lexus is in kind of a bind with respect to the China market. The company would very much like to expand its presence, but is handicapped vis-a-vis its European competitors (Audi, Mercedes-Bemz) because Lexus manufactures cars only in Japan and the United States. So they have to import parts from China, assemble the cars, then ship the cars back to China.

Also, China has high tariffs and import quotas for cars with large engines, forcing Lexus to build more units of the less powerful and hybrid models. Sponsorship of the Cup and China, and other figure skating projects recently announced, will fall flat if the Japanese skaters are withdrawn.

I believe that Toyota (Lexus' parent company) is Miki Ando's big sponsor.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I understand that this says that the Japanese skaters will compete at CoC? Very good news, if so.
Yes, it says JSF decided not to withdraw J-skaters from Cup of China. They will monitor the situation and might use some extra security measure for skaters if it is necessary.

let`s talk

Match Penalty

slipslidin

On the Ice
Is this the venue that opens off a shopping mall, with free admission, and people wander in and out with their shopping bags and take-out food throughout the competition? If so, I imagine it would be very difficult to provide security for the athletes. Someone, please tell me I'm in the wrong nightmare.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Is this the venue that opens off a shopping mall, with free admission, and people wander in and out with their shopping bags and take-out food throughout the competition? If so, I imagine it would be very difficult to provide security for the athletes. Someone, please tell me I'm in the wrong nightmare.

:laugh: Definitely wrong nightmare. It's held in a regular sports arena just like anywhere else in the world, with typical security of ticketholder-only checkpoints, WTMD's, bag xrays, in-arena security. Normally at any athletic event in China where Japanese athletes are competing, there is extra security put on--it's been this way for years. For team sports matches such as football (soccer) and the like where Japan is competing, usually things like plastic water bottles are banned from the venue. Normally for figure skating, restrictions aren't that draconian but this year might be different. As I said upthread, I don't think the competition/practice venue is the potential problem.

ETA: photo link here: http://a103830828.designer.mynet.cn/_d275361174.htm

Last edited:

slipslidin

On the Ice
Thank you, bigsisjiejie, I've been worried about this, but was reluctant to ask. You've helped me to keep my nightmares straight.