Quick! Someone call up Noah | Golden Skate

Quick! Someone call up Noah

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
We are under flood advisories/warnings here in South Central Alaska. As I type this it has poured non stop at my house for about 30 hours (if not more). My entire driveway is a LAKE with ankle deep water. We haven't been down to the basement yet, but we're worried about possible water damage down there.

We're used to "monsoon season" but this is an early one and we've also been dealing with hurricane force winds (again not uncommon, but too early). Power's gone down in most areas, trees are falling over due to over saturated ground so they just pull right out of the ground due to teh wind. It's been pretty crazy!

In Seward the road in and out of the town is CLOSED. streets are washed out, and they could lose bridges. It's all under water. The dogs at Ididaride are fine (wet, of course, but fine) but Danny had to go rescue another mushers 40 dogs because they were lower down the mountain. They live along a couple of rivers, though, so they may have to move the dogs even higher if this rain doesn't let up.

http://www.ktuu.com/city-of-seward-declares-emergency-due-to-flooding-091912,0,3965696.story

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
We just went through a fall storm last night- 60 mph winds, and tornado warnings. The cellar flooded a little, but it didn't get up high enough to kill the furnace again. I've got to go fix gutters tomorrow-things didn't drain correctly.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Couple of videos by a local news station:

http://www.ktuu.com/videogallery/72408618/News/Seward-Airport-Flooding#pl-62893695 - "Airport" washed out (it's just a few runways really)

http://www.ktuu.com/videogallery/72408522/News/Seward-Flooding--Lowell-Creek-Waterfall#pl-62893695 - a waterfall turned water chute. check out the tractor. It's got someone driving it moving silt out of the way so that it doesn't push thruough and take out the bridge, but the water is pushing it along a whole lot faster than those things typically go!

Seavey's are dealing with flooded driveways, and the box canyon river that runs by the houses and dog lot is being worked on as we speak to keep the river flowing in it's normal path - and away from the houses...

We just went through a fall storm last night- 60 mph winds, and tornado warnings. The cellar flooded a little, but it didn't get up high enough to kill the furnace again. I've got to go fix gutters tomorrow-things didn't drain correctly.

yeah our gutters couldn't keep up, it's such a mess outside right now lol

Joint Base Elmendorf-richardson (jber) reported a tornado like wind storm last night... damage looks like a mini tornado ripped through - http://www.adn.com/2012/09/19/2631646/powerful-wind-gust-hammers-jber.html

skateluvr

Record Breaker
So much terrifying weather around the world and accelerating. I ask Mary to protect all who call on her. Amen.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Our rain stopped last night and this morning... but it's back to pouring. The Kenai river is flooding in the upper region, and Seward is still completely under water... this happens every 20 years or so...

Hang in there, Toni! It sounds pretty awful. At least I know that being a resourceful Alaskan, you have supplies on hand, and you seem to have power. Hope the rain moves out again for good.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Interview with Travis Beals who used to work for the Seavey's before he and his girlfriend (who also worked for the Seavey's, and I took her job when she left them. His dogs are the ones that Danny Seavey rescued the other night and is taking care of now. Danny's house is flooded and so they're all moved over to his grandfather's house (just across teh street basically). No rain today so waters are going down, but more rain should be coming in tonight or tomorrow. A major road in Kenai has washed out as well... crazy!
http://community.adn.com/?q=adn/node/162456

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
I'm glad the dogs are all being moved to safer grounds :no: Around here severe weather has been infrequent, but when it comes it's been terrifying. I hope the coming rain is just some drizzles!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Sounds like the dogs are out of Seward at this point. I haven't heard anything from Danny, my job is probably on the line as the whole place is pretty much wasted... they may need to cut costs, I don't know - haven't spoken to him since this all happened. Their power's been out for a while now.

Here's a vid/audio from the Anchorage Daily News' interview with Danny today... http://vimeo.com/49945685

I hope you are able to resume your job! That would be awful if they had to lay you off. At least the dogs are safely away, but I hope that the Seaveys will be able to recover in time for the mushing season.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The mushing season isn't in jeopardy. Mitch trains out of Sterling in teh winter/racing months... but the summer season could be in trouble... especially since Danny and his family have plans to move out to Virginia for the winter.

Virginia for the winter? You mean, they won't be in Alaska, mushing? Or does mushing come closer to spring?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Danny doesn't race - and his wife wants out of the cold weather lol Mitch (danny's dad) is the lead musher in their kennel... Danny just runs the business end of things.

I see. I understand Mrs. Seavey's wish to get out of cold weather! Virginia is supposed to be beautiful. I don't know whether you ever saw the movie Runaway Bride, which was filmed in Maryland. That's what I think of as autumn in Virginia. Winter is somewhat warmer than what we see in the Northeast, as well. Sounds pretty tempting to me, too. Let's all go!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yeah they have family in Virginia, too... all of Danny's mom's family is from there. They'll be back in AK for spring/summer... whatever works~! :)

So they get extra daylight all year round. That makes sense. Too bad they can't take all the dogs with them!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Just got a text from Danny, looks like I still have my job! PTL! I really expected him to be getting ahold of me to let me go (I wouldn't have been surprised or hurt, considering everything). Whew! I'll be manning the phone again this winter judging by his very short message... will have more info tomorrow or thurs... I hope, more bad weather is scheduled to hit Seward tonight through Thursday... but so far the predictions for this week haven't panned out so keep those prayers and good thoughts coming for Seward.

The Kenai river, though is flooded and we've seen some major losses. (not we personally, but the folks who live in teh flood plain) I am not in any danger of flooding (now if we have a tsunami, I'm gonna have flooding lol) but it's still going to impact life down here. Fish have been found in other areas swimming up stream via the flooded roads. Once the water receeds we'll end up with a lot of dead fish unable to spawn (or who have spawned but now the eggs are no good)... we had a bad fishing season this year (the king salmon run basically never showed up, and they have no idea what caused it) and a lot of people are going to be hurting this winter food and financially...

crazy!