Anyone going? | Golden Skate

Anyone going?

iskaterkay

Spectator
I really want to go for finals weekend because it's a manageable drive for me, but I really don't want to absorb the cost of a hotel room + watch alone. So what I'm saying is: want to be friends? :)

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Bought airline tickets today with a 40% discount on Southwest. Love to be friends but we are already a party of eight.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I will be there on Monday. If anyone wants to, we can make a list of GSers and try and meet up. Worked out really well at SA Kent. No one tried to monopolize anyone else's time, no one was obnoxious or mean.
You get a feel when someone wants to sit alone during practice and when they want company. I think other GSers might enjoy what we experienced at Kent.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think you should be the official GS meet up organizer, Chris! You seemed to do a great job for SKAM!

JPierce

Match Penalty
I'm considering going but it would be an all-day drive, and the expense for these things is so much (usually ends up costing $1000+.) Last time I went it wasn't so far and I got practice passes to meet some of the skaters, which was great. Questions:

- Is there any way to get practice passes without a huge expense? (I'm not purchasing the entire week of tickets or something crazy like that)
- Anything else to do in Omaha that might make the extra days worthwhile?

It's kind of like... it's so far that going for just a couple days seems not worth it. But 4 days seems so expensive that it also seems not worth it. :(

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
As far as I know the only way you can get a practice pass is if you purchase all event tickets or some special package that offers it.

JPierce

Match Penalty
Do you know that specifically for this Nationals? I could have sworn at the last Cleveland nationals we just bought passes right there (practices were at another rink a few miles out.)

-- Just found out that there are 2 types of practices. Main arena is restricted as you said, but there's another arena where the general public can attend. Now I just have to find out if there will be any ladies or mens practices on Thursday or Friday at the public arena.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Do you know that specifically for this Nationals? I could have sworn at the last Cleveland nationals we just bought passes right there (practices were at another rink a few miles out.)

-- Just found out that there are 2 types of practices. Main arena is restricted as you said, but there's another arena where the general public can attend. Now I just have to find out if there will be any ladies or mens practices on Thursday or Friday at the public arena.
Watch the main website for a very detailed PDF that will give all the schedules for all the sheets of ice, just like when you attended Cleveland. Also remember that with a ticket, you can get in early and watch practice/warmups before the event. When a ticket covers two events, you can actually see alot. Every event seems to be different as far as watching practices, or even if you can get into the secondary practice ice.

louisa05

Final Flight

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last edited:

Antiloquy

Rinkside
Hi everyone. I'm going to Nats with a friend of mine and we're wondering if anyone would be willing to share a room. We have reservations for The Fairfield Inn, but it's $115/night and we're trying to keep it under $100/night. I'll be getting there on the 23rd and checking out on the 27th. My friend will be flying in the same day and flying out the 28th.

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
I was planning on it. I had vacation days I could use and was getting ready to start purchasing tickets when my best friend decided to have her wedding that weekend and ask me to be maid of honor. I actually had to think about it for a minute :think:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I was planning on it. I had vacation days I could use and was getting ready to start purchasing tickets when my best friend decided to have her wedding that weekend and ask me to be maid of honor. I actually had to think about it for a minute :think:
What did you ex-best friend tell you when you said "NO!" I told my wife there are three times during the year she cant die or she is going into the freezer till I get home.....she thinks I am kidding.....

loveskating

Rinkside
What did you ex-best friend tell you when you said "NO!" I told my wife there are three times during the year she cant die or she is going into the freezer till I get home.....she thinks I am kidding.....

I told my husband the same! LOL
By the way, I will be in Omaha this year!

louisa05

Final Flight
After two bad experiences missing something I really cared about to go to someone's wedding, I have decided that I will never again do that. The only exception would have been my own wedding. And I'm already married.

I gave up a concert ticket once upon a time to go to a relative's wedding. He and his wife did not even send a card when I got married. That one really stung. So...not skipping fun stuff for weddings ever again. If someone was getting married on the Saturday of Nats, the one time I'll ever get to go (unless Omaha gets it again someday), I would have said "have a nice time, I can't make it!"

louisa05

Final Flight
Recent articles about some good Omaha restaurants:

M's Pub is in the Old Market downtown:

http://www.omaha.com/article/201301...siness-m-s-pub-knows-how-to-keep-its-regulars

The slide show includes some other great Omaha restaurants to consider.

And the best reviewed restaurants of 2012:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20121221/GO/712219989

V. Mertz is also in the Old Market. Block 16 is downtown. Blatt Beer & Table is pretty close to the arena, near the new ballpark.

I can do my best to answer other Omaha questions anyone has. Just ask!

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Recent articles about some good Omaha restaurants:

M's Pub is in the Old Market downtown:

http://www.omaha.com/article/201301...siness-m-s-pub-knows-how-to-keep-its-regulars

The slide show includes some other great Omaha restaurants to consider.

And the best reviewed restaurants of 2012:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20121221/GO/712219989

V. Mertz is also in the Old Market. Block 16 is downtown. Blatt Beer & Table is pretty close to the arena, near the new ballpark.

I can do my best to answer other Omaha questions anyone has. Just ask!

Thanks for the offer.

Any word on the long range forecast for the city? As we get closer, it would be great to have some idea about the weather. I don't expect it to be warm, but I do want to do some walking. In my town it has been very very cold - about 3-19 degrees. I would love to think Omaha will be up to freezing. Is Omaha windy as a general rule?

Also, what are the distances like. Are the blocks short blocks? Do you know about how many blocks to a mile? One answer I found was about 12 blocks to a mile. Is that about right?