Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Anyone going?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    I was planning on it. I had vacation days I could use and was getting ready to start purchasing tickets when my best friend decided to have her wedding that weekend and ask me to be maid of honor. I actually had to think about it for a minute
    What did you ex-best friend tell you when you said "NO!" I told my wife there are three times during the year she cant die or she is going into the freezer till I get home.....she thinks I am kidding.....

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    What did you ex-best friend tell you when you said "NO!" I told my wife there are three times during the year she cant die or she is going into the freezer till I get home.....she thinks I am kidding.....
    I told my husband the same! LOL
    By the way, I will be in Omaha this year!

Custom Title
    After two bad experiences missing something I really cared about to go to someone's wedding, I have decided that I will never again do that. The only exception would have been my own wedding. And I'm already married.

I gave up a concert ticket once upon a time to go to a relative's wedding. He and his wife did not even send a card when I got married. That one really stung. So...not skipping fun stuff for weddings ever again. If someone was getting married on the Saturday of Nats, the one time I'll ever get to go (unless Omaha gets it again someday), I would have said "have a nice time, I can't make it!"

Custom Title
    Recent articles about some good Omaha restaurants:

M's Pub is in the Old Market downtown:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2013010...p-its-regulars

The slide show includes some other great Omaha restaurants to consider.

And the best reviewed restaurants of 2012:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20121221/GO/712219989

V. Mertz is also in the Old Market. Block 16 is downtown. Blatt Beer & Table is pretty close to the arena, near the new ballpark.

I can do my best to answer other Omaha questions anyone has. Just ask!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    Recent articles about some good Omaha restaurants:

M's Pub is in the Old Market downtown:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2013010...p-its-regulars

The slide show includes some other great Omaha restaurants to consider.

And the best reviewed restaurants of 2012:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20121221/GO/712219989

V. Mertz is also in the Old Market. Block 16 is downtown. Blatt Beer & Table is pretty close to the arena, near the new ballpark.

I can do my best to answer other Omaha questions anyone has. Just ask!
    Thanks for the offer.

Any word on the long range forecast for the city? As we get closer, it would be great to have some idea about the weather. I don't expect it to be warm, but I do want to do some walking. In my town it has been very very cold - about 3-19 degrees. I would love to think Omaha will be up to freezing. Is Omaha windy as a general rule?

Also, what are the distances like. Are the blocks short blocks? Do you know about how many blocks to a mile? One answer I found was about 12 blocks to a mile. Is that about right?

After two bad experiences missing something I really cared about to go to someone's wedding, I have decided that I will never again do that. The only exception would have been my own wedding. And I'm already married.

I gave up a concert ticket once upon a time to go to a relative's wedding. He and his wife did not even send a card when I got married. That one really stung. So...not skipping fun stuff for weddings ever again. If someone was getting married on the Saturday of Nats, the one time I'll ever get to go (unless Omaha gets it again someday), I would have said "have a nice time, I can't make it!"
    To be fair, going to your relative's wedding vs. being your best friend's maid of honor aren't quite the same thing.... :wink:

I'll look forward to hearing all your reports!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    Thanks for the offer.

Any word on the long range forecast for the city? As we get closer, it would be great to have some idea about the weather. I don't expect it to be warm, but I do want to do some walking. In my town it has been very very cold - about 3-19 degrees. I would love to think Omaha will be up to freezing. Is Omaha windy as a general rule?

Also, what are the distances like. Are the blocks short blocks? Do you know about how many blocks to a mile? One answer I found was about 12 blocks to a mile. Is that about right?
    Long range right now is upper 20s to mid 30s. Wind can be vicious here in winter, so wind chill can make it much colder than the temp. And it can be windy. My guess on snow (my big concern as we'll be driving in from out of the city each day--my mom lives an hour in the opposite direction of Omaha from me, can no longer drive and my father is ill...so this got complicated since we bought the tickets) is little to none as we are in the midst of a severe drought. I just don't expect much all winter.

One walking warning--Omaha is not flat, particularly the farther east in the city you go and downtown and the arena is on the river--the easternmost point. City blocks are about what you have found. It is a pretty good distance to the Old Market from the hotels around the arena, but many offer shuttle services to get you there (I know the Hilton does for sure). There are a number of good restaurants there as I linked and interesting shops--mostly locally owned. There is nice walking around the riverfront area which is not far from the arena and official hotels.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    To be fair, going to your relative's wedding vs. being your best friend's maid of honor aren't quite the same thing.... :wink:

I'll look forward to hearing all your reports!
    Yeah...but I also skipped something once in a lifetime to be in a friend's wedding once. That wasn't really worth it either. And I was "co-maid of honor" for that one.

One thing I have learned in life....unless you are a really important part of an event, you wont be missed much. There are pleanty of other people there for others to talk to. If you are really an important part...say, the groom, ...you will be consulted first before a date is set for the event. Honest. If you are not consulted, you arent as important as you think you are!!! Got my tickets today! So happy....everyone who is going...dont forget to wear orange so we all can recognize each other.....worked out well at SA-Kent, didnt it Mrs. P and Doris? Lots of good info over on the "other" forum about restaurants....

Yeah...but I also skipped something once in a lifetime to be in a friend's wedding once. That wasn't really worth it either. And I was "co-maid of honor" for that one.

One walking warning--Omaha is not flat, particularly the farther east in the city you go and downtown and the arena is on the river--the easternmost point. .
    Hmmmm...perhaps I am biased as Spokane is pretty hilly in areas...but I have been "walking" around Omaha on google street view...especially from the arena to my hotel and then
    South to the Market restaurants.....and I am not seeing anything but flat?????

sadly we arent going this year due to us having a house built. It closes in Feb, so I can use my credit cards again after that. Not that Im counting down the minutes or anything

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Hmmmm...perhaps I am biased as Spokane is pretty hilly in areas...but I have been "walking" around Omaha on google street view...especially from the arena to my hotel and then
    South to the Market restaurants.....and I am not seeing anything but flat?????
    People tend to expect the entire state to be like the middle where it is flatter than the definition of flat. You don't know flat until you've been to say Hastings in the middle. Omaha is not like that. Downtown is not hilly but some of the city is particularly just south of downtown (an area where I worked years ago and the area of the zoo--which is a workout to walk around as it is certainly not flat), but it is not what people expect from Nebraska. So not as hilly as the northwest certainly. But not the more than flat vistas people imagine Nebraska as.

I lived 20 years in central Illinois.....it was so flat you could see the curvature of the earth....cant wait to try those restaurants!

People tend to expect the entire state to be like the middle where it is flatter than the definition of flat. You don't know flat until you've been to say Hastings in the middle. Omaha is not like that. Downtown is not hilly but some of the city is particularly just south of downtown (an area where I worked years ago and the area of the zoo--which is a workout to walk around as it is certainly not flat), but it is not what people expect from Nebraska. So not as hilly as the northwest certainly. But not the more than flat vistas people imagine Nebraska as.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    V. Mertz used to be pretty fancy and expensive.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    V. Mertz used to be pretty fancy and expensive.
    It isn't cheap. But it is good. The Old Market link I posted earlier in the thread divides restaurants by "fine dining", "casual" and "fast food", so that should help people who need an idea of price ranges.

My husband's and my favorites in the Old Market are M's Pub, Stokes, Zio's Pizza, Upstream Brewery and Roja. For wine, don't miss La Buvette. Wheatfield's has divine baked goods and if it is not too cold for ice cream, check out Ted & Wally's.

The Hilton's restaurant has amazing, but very pricey, steak. Our favorite place for steak or prime rib is The Drover which is away from downtown. Link: http://www.droverrestaurant.com/

Another local favorite of ours, away from downtown, is The Brazen Head Irish Pub. Link:
    http://www.brazenheadpub.com/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast