Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: When did you become a skating fan?

More or less: more is more sequinsgalore's Avatar
    1. Approximately what year did you first become aware that there is a sport called figure skating?
    I have a vague memory of the 2002 Winter Olympics

2. Approximately what year did you become a fan of the sport?
    Worlds 2007 was the first competition I followed seriously on TV.
    It was also about that time I got my first own laptop, so I wasn't too dependent of figure skating on TV (or lack thereof)

3. Have you ever taken skating lessons?
    No, never had the opportunity, unfortunately

4. Would you consider your current level of fandom
    d. obsessed
    Much of my spare time is used on watching/seeking figure skating online/TV, forums and writing my danish figure skating blog Sequins Galore

5. Would you consider your current level of interest higher or lower than your answer to question 2?
    Much higher

6. Was there a point or period in between question 2 and now when your interest was at an all-time high? When?
    No, it's still rising

7. Which of the following is your favorite format to watch skating?
    d. elite competition

I like the watching difficult elements! Biting your nails in nervousness before a skater takes the ice the BEST.

8. What country do you live in?
    Denmark

Custom Title
    What a wonderful thread! Thank you so much, gkelly!!!
    It's so nice to know how and when other GS members became a fan of this beautiful sport, also very educative to me how they see and value figure skating. But more interesting to know for me is...at what point they became an 'obsessed' fan!

1. Approximately what year did you first become aware that there is a sport called figure skating?
    I don't remember well but late 1970's, I guess.

In 1980 at NHK Trophy, when I saw Midori Ito a tiny jumping bean on TV!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLtdl...eature=related

No, never. In this regard, all competitive skaters in the world, at any countries, any levels and any ages win tons of my respect and love, and rightfully so!

d. obsessed, of course

Until 2001-2002 SLC Olympic season and the famous battle btwn Evgeni/Alexei (in other words, Mishin/Tarasova), I was just a casual fan only to watch Olympic games and occasionally watch NHK Trophy when aired on TV. And Russian male skaters, such as Victor P, Urmy, and Ilia stole my heart every four years.
    But at Grand Prix Final and at SLC that year, Alexei simply took my breath away and I was sort of a serious fan since then. I had another crash on a skater of my own country at Skate America 2005...you know the rest of my story.

5. Would you consider your current level of interest higher or lower than your answer to question 2?
    Way way higher

6. Was there a point or period in between question 2 and now when your interest was at an all-time high? When?
    From 2005-06 season to 2009-2010 season.

f. all levels of amateur/eligible competition from local club events to Olympics/Worlds

8. What country do you live in?
    Japan

Down With It

1994, with the Tonya/Nancy hullabaloo (I was quite young at the time)

[edited] 2002, immediately following the Olympics. I did watch in '98, but although I was caught up in the hype, it wasn't enough to get me to pay attention to the sport in general

No

a. casual (I'll watch on TV or online if it's convenient, occasionally attend a live event near my home)
    b. interested (I'll seek out opportunities to watch on video, and live if costs, location, and schedule allow)
    c. serious (I will go out of my way and spend money specifically to obtain access to videos or travel to shows or competitions, and I will do outside reading to learn about the current competition rules)
    d. obsessed (a considerable portion of my waking life is spent skating, watching skating, and/or reading/talking/writing about skating, at Golden Skate and elsewhere)

B, maybe with a tiny bit of C mixed in on occasion (partly only because I have spent good money to see many shows and have tried to take advantage of opportunities to meet skaters) But I typically do not go out of my way (i.e. if it's not in my neck of the woods), and I could care less about the nuances of the scoring system

Lower, definitely.

Have to say my interest was highest the two years following SLC. The online community, the drama was like a drug almost. Couldn't get enough of it. It has fallen a good bit since then, but I still try to stay involved

a. shows that feature costumes, plots or themes, and group numbers
    b. shows that feature current and former elite medal winners
    c. professional and pro-am/"open" competitions featuring current and/or former elite medal winners with more emphasis on artistry/entertainment and less on technical difficulty
    d. elite competition (Olympics, Worlds, Grand Prix, nationals of countries with deep competitive fields)
    e. all international competitions and, in countries with deep fields, qualifying and nonqualifying competitions featuring skaters with national and international aspirations
    f. all levels of amateur/eligible competition from local club events to Olympics/Worlds
    g. primarily local competitions and shows -- I'd rather watch kids I know than elite level strangers

Easy. D. I just don't find skating exciting to watch below the elite level. The whole point is to make these incredible tricks look easy and only the best are able to accomplish that.

8. What country do you live in? Please indicate if you have moved between the time of questions 1-2 and now

USA
    Last edited by R.D.; 10-02-2012 at 12:49 AM. Reason: added lines to try to make it a little easier to follow

Custom Title

probably in 1988 Olympics.

I've instently become a fan.

Never had a chance. I took my mother's skates and skated in a frozen pond. Learned my skating lessons from friends. And obsessed with skating.

a. casual (I'll watch on TV or online if it's convenient, occasionally attend a live event near my home)
    b. interested (I'll seek out opportunities to watch on video, and live if costs, location, and schedule allow)
    c. serious (I will go out of my way and spend money specifically to obtain access to videos or travel to shows or competitions, and I will do outside reading to learn about the current competition rules)
    d. obsessed (a considerable portion of my waking life is spent skating, watching skating, and/or reading/talking/writing about skating, at Golden Skate and elsewhere)

a,b, and d.

Much higher.

Brian Boitano brought me in. On and off for a while until I've found Alexei Yagudin. Then I've never really left figure skating. My all time high must be now when I'm spending a considerable time a day reading and posting on a skating forum.

c. professional and pro-am/"open" competitions featuring current and/or former elite medal winners with more emphasis on artistry/entertainment and less on technical difficulty
    d. elite competition (Olympics, Worlds, Grand Prix, nationals of countries with deep competitive fields)
    e. all international competitions and, in countries with deep fields, qualifying and nonqualifying competitions featuring skaters with national and international aspirations
    g. primarily local competitions and shows -- I'd rather watch kids I know than elite level strangers

d.

8. What country do you live in? Please indicate if you have moved between the time of questions 1-2 and now

Canada and USA.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 10-01-2012 at 11:31 PM.

In winter of 1998. Articles were pouring in my hometown newspaper about Michelle Kwan, who was injured but still the favorite to win the OGM. I was a fourth grader

In summer of 2009.

Nope, I barely stand on ice with blades:( But I want to, someday.

Similar!

Vancouver Olympics/that season.

e. all international competitions and, in countries with deep fields, qualifying and nonqualifying competitions featuring skaters with national and international aspirations)

USA, and spent a year in Japan for study abroad program which was really exciting since there were so many easy accesses to figure skating.

1. Approximately what year did you first become aware that there is a sport called figure skating? Probably around 2006 (this is because I'm a teenager, I don't live in a cave )

2. Approximately what year did you become a fan of the sport? 2010. (Relatively recently, so I'm still learning!) I saw the Olympics and I was hooked.

3. Have you ever taken skating lessons? No, but I'd like to.

5. Would you consider your current level of interest higher or lower than your answer to question 2? About the same. I spend extra money to get Universal Sports and subscribe to several skating magazines. I have never been able to travel to a competition, though.

6. Was there a point or period in between question 2 and now when your interest was at an all-time high? When? Not really, my interest is still high.

8. What country do you live in? USA

Custom Title
    Carol Heiss and the Olympics at Squaw Valley, CA. - 1960

Oh Lord no.......that's why my screenname is NOSKATES

3a. If so, did you start lessons before or after identifying yourself as a fan?

B

Higher

Probably the World Championships in Oakland, CA in 1992 and any time Kurt Browning competed

B, D, E and F

USA

Custom Title
    Just out of curiosity, I'd like to get a sense of trends in when, where, and how Golden Skate posters became skating fans. Please answer as many of the questions as appropriate

1. Approximately what year did you first become aware that there is a sport called figure skating? I vaguely remember figure skating at the 1992 Olympics, but I first really became involved in figure skating in 1994.

2. Approximately what year did you become a fan of the sport? I first became a fan in 1994, I was the only person in my elementary school who was rooting for Tonya Harding (had nothing to do with her skating at the time, I just loved being a contrarian at the time), fell in love with Oksana Baiul. Figure Skating lost it's luster for me, but I got back in the fandom after SLC.

no.

Can I say casual and obsessed? I don't spend money on figure skating events, and I haven't seen a test/club event in years, but I do frequent figure skating messageboards, youtube current and old figure skating routines almost everyday. If figure skating is on t.v., I'll usually watch it, but I won't go out of my way to watch an event.

5. Would you consider your current level of interest higher or lower than your answer to question 2? Lower.

2003-2006

Elite competitions, but I also loved watching the Russian test skate videos and I'm looking forward to the Japan Medal Winners Open as well.

U.S.

Rinkside
    Around 1984-85 .... when I was a new Canskater I remember watching the older girls in their pretty dresses.....

1988- Battle of the Brians and Olympics in general. Tried some disastrous attempts at flying camels on my living room floor : )

Yes, all my life, now coach and skate as an adult

Before

Higher

No, I don't think so.

Canada

Custom Title

Mid 90s. Started with Torville and Dean who basically held Britain hostage for 2 decades to love of figure skating/ice dancing. I am generally cynical about anything popular, but I thought I'd watch the next Olympics to see what is the fuss about.

Twice.
    Started with Winter Olympics '94, Michelle Kwan. Need I say more?
    Interest waned after her second attempt, and the judging scandal in 02 totally sealed the deal.
    I became interested again after witnessing Yuna Kim's perfect 10 moment at Winter Olympics 2010 (more like perplexed and utterly amazed). I haven't been following figure skating for years, so it was with fresh eyes I saw Yuna, Mao and the amazing final flight of ladies for the first time, which was quite an an opener. Didn't really enjoy the mens at the time, thought it was predictably war of words between US vs Russia, politics and media frenzies hasn't gone away. I thought what Plushy said was valid, at the same time, he should have done better to seal the deal. Since last year I have become wiser to the fact with human judging, it is never possible not to have biases and influenced by outside factors. It is up to the judge panels of the day to keep these lines in check from getting it too wrong.

Yes for 2 summer, because of I want to fly effortlessly like Kwan. I thought having background in ballet and folk dancing would have helped. I was dead wrong. Actually i realised very quickly it is not something you can do half heartily as a hobby. It requires a great deal of dedication, time and effort. The 2nd summer was very frustrating seems like i havn't learned anything at all the first time, going through a growth spurt hasn't helped. I am someone with mild case of ADD, and can get too greedy with too many hobbies including sports, painting and playing a few instruments at the time. (Piano, Violin, Chinese Viola, Guitar, and um... Harmonica, Chinese flute, recorder just for fun lol. I can play music by ear but with skating, there are no cheats or quick shortcuts like in Music or Art.)

Fan first.

b-d. On a scale of 1-10, it varies on a daily basis between 4-9 depends on who am I watching. Some times i wonder why I bother when i see a artistically contrived piece of work ends on the podium just because of the name, reputation, politics and tick all the COP boxes. I have planned my holidays to coincide with skating shows and competitions to LA, Moscow and Boston.I am also a subscriber to skating mags and forum.

Higher now Yuna is back facing probably the deepest field in years with many promising young talents coming up. The Mens are getting sooo exciting too. I want to support Jeremy and Patrick more this season, think what they are doing with their skating is great and exciting! I like skaters takes risks, try something new and different, push themselves for higher actualization; physically, artistically, musically, philosophically. For figure skating to evolve as a sport and art, it mustn't remain stagnant and predictable.

WC, I was at Moscow, just want to see all the skaters live and experience it for myself. I learnt alot.

It is difficult to answer this question, because i think it is about quality and not format. Therefore I'd pick D. Though B is great during the off seasons, Yuna's LA show cast was just amazing.

UK now. I was between UK and Asia during the time of Q1-Q2.
    Last edited by os168; 10-03-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Yup!

Slightly after I saw a skating show and then took Basic Skills lessons then private then competing.

Lower....after removal of figures and Kwan's retirement, I see the quality and purity of skating decreasing. With the exception of the surge in NA dance teams, there really have not been any standouts that have garnered my attention.

During the year before any given winter Olympics and during the Michelle Kwan era.

USA

I don't remember, it was so long time ago, my mama liked so much.

I don't know exactly...I was a very little girl, I've seen them compete: Irina Rodnina, Dianne De Leeuw , Tai Babilonia and Randy Gardner, Mojseeva-Minenkov..... I don't know who was better Jan Hoffman or Kovaljev.. I felt in love with Robin Cousins.. I loved Fadeev's white pants... , I adored Oxana Baiul, and loved Michelle Kwan, Kulik and Yagudin etc. In 1998 I saw a little blond russian guy, with big nose and he was a prodigy... and in that moment I became his huge fan forever.

No.

b. and
    d. obsessed of one skater

5. Would you consider your current level of interest higher or lower than your answer to question 2? higher

1994-2006.

d.

European Unio
    Last edited by plushyfan; 10-08-2012 at 02:11 PM.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar

Oh, that's a good one! It would have been sometime during the Nineties, but I am not sure when. That said, I am nearly sure about how I found out. It would have been through somebody involved in the sport appearing on Blue Peter. Thinking logically, it was probably Jayne and Chris, but I definitely remember seeing Robin Cousins on the show (although, I think that was only within the last 6 or 7 years).

However, if it was the very late Nineties, there is the possibility that I found out through the local news on BBCNI or UTV doing a feature on an up-and-coming local skater called Jenna McCorkell…

I first got interested in figure skating probably around the 2001/2002 season. I would be in the kitchen doing my homework, and would need a break. So I would flick on Eurosport to see what was on. And, sometimes there would be figure skating on. Irina Slutskaya was at the height of her success at the time. I was really impressed by her, and whenever I came across skating, I would keep an eye out for how Irina was doing.

But, I can tell you the exact date that I became a proper fan. Thursday 23rd January 2003. During the Ladies Free Programme at the 2003 European Championships. To be precise, during Carolina Kostner's performance ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28djAK9g4-0 ). Here was this beautiful wee 15 year old Italian girl. And she put on a performance that was absolutely amazing! I instantly fell in love! And I have been hooked ever since!

I haven't had lessons, but in 2001 I went on a youth club trip to the Jet Centre in Coleraine (Jenna McCorkell's local rink until they closed it to extend the cinema). Suffice to say, I vowed "never again". Mind you, I am now thinking "actually, I wouldn't mind another try…"

N/A

Definitely (b.) interested (I'll seek out opportunities to watch on video, and live if costs, location, and schedule allow)

Oh, far higher. Like, this season I have started hunting out videos of competitions on the internet to make up for Eurosport not showing the competitions in their entirety due to other programming commitments. And, when I found out Liza and Jenna were both competing at the Eric Bompard Trophée, I even priced how much it would cost to go to Paris for the weekend. But, it worked out too expensive for an unemployed archaeologist!

My interest is definitely at an all-time high now.

Oh, that's a hard one! I haven't seen any shows, so that's (a.) and (b.) out. In fact, now that I think of it, (d.) is the only option that I have seen. But, I would like to see some national competitions, so I will choose (e.)

I have lived in Northern Ireland my whole life.
    Last edited by CaroLiza_fan; 11-26-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Just discovered I have been using the wrong auto-text for the "big grin" emoticon!

1991 also, at the World Figure Skating Championships. Because more of a series fan during the 2009 World Figure Skating Championships. Watching Yuna win on high definition television should make anyone a more serious fan!

No, but I am considering doing so this winter. There are figure skating lessons available at my local rink!

Definitely higher. Namely because it's so much easier to access all levels of competitions and get access to information.

I think my interest has continued to grow. This current Olympic cycle (2010-2014) is probably my most active cycle so far as a figure skating fan.

USA. I have not moved as far as countries but I have changed states from question 1-2 (Pennsylvania) to now (Washington).
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 11-07-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Probably around 1990

We'll say...1992
    No :(

Much higher.

No not really

USA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast