Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: When did you become a skating fan?

Medalist
    1. Approximately what year did you first become aware that there is a sport called figure skating?

1992, I was four years old. My mom took me for skating lessons at the local rink.

2. Approximately what year did you become a fan of the sport?

My mom always had skating on when I was little. But I think I made it a point to start watching on my own around 1997-1998 during the Michelle vs. Tara thing leading up to the Olympics.

3. Have you ever taken skating lessons?

Yes, I skated competitively for several years when I was younger.

3a. If so, did you start lessons before or after identifying yourself as a fan?

Before

4. Would you consider your current level of fandom

b. interested (I'll seek out opportunities to watch on video, and live if costs, location, and schedule allow)
    c. serious (I will go out of my way and spend money specifically to obtain access to videos or travel to shows or competitions, and I will do outside reading to learn about the current competition rules)

I am somewhere between "interested" and "serious". I make sure to watch all of the competitions and clear my schedule so that I can catch the live stream if available. But I am a busy graduate student and that is top priority in my life right now. I'll probably be watching the GPF and maybe the last couple of competitions of the Grand Prix late because of exams. I have been to shows but have never traveled to a competition(Grand Prix, Nationals etc). This is mainly because I am a poor student and I really don't have the money right now to pay for travel, hotel, and a ticket. Years ago Worlds was held in my home city and I think Skate America has been reasonably close. If an opportunity like that ever came up in my area then I'd be there in a second. But I definitely have to balance skating with other very important priorities in my life.

5. Would you consider your current level of interest higher or lower than your answer to question 2?

Higher. I was very young and didn't have the ability to watch skating whenever I wanted and rearrange my schedule to watch competitions back then.

6. Was there a point or period in between question 2 and now when your interest was at an all-time high? When?

There have been highs and lows in my interest/ability to watch figure skating from 1998 until now. Some seasons I've watched every competition and some I've missed the entire Grand Prix series, Nationals, and Worlds. To give you an idea, I joined this website in 2005 and my last post until very recently was in 2007. I've been busy busy busy with school and other drama in my life. :-)

7. Which of the following is your favorite format to watch skating?

d. elite competition (Olympics, Worlds, Grand Prix, nationals of countries with deep competitive fields)

I watch all of the "main" competitions. The Grand Prix, US Nationals, Worlds, Europeans, Four Continents, and the Olympics.

8. What country do you live in? Please indicate if you have moved between the time of questions 1-2 and now

I've lived in the "middle of nowhere" United States my entire life. I'm certainly not as "well traveled" as some of the other members of this forum.
    Last edited by *~RussianBleux~*; 11-07-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    I became a fan in the early 1980's....Rosalynn Sumners is from Edmonds and I learned to skate at the same rink...what a fabulous double axel...still the best I've ever seen...from anyone

I became very fascinated with the battle of the Brians and Kat Witt in 1988...Kat's 1994 tribute to Sarajevo was probably the first program that moved me to tears.

I also became a hard core Kwan fan after she lost in 1998...sooo much dignity

I have attended a few comps...1990 Goodwill games for example....but last year's nationals (so much easier than trying to get a ticket to the Olympics) was my first and definitely not my last

I'll also never forget stumbling upon Tonya Harding practicing on the ice at Lloyd center in Portland. I actually heard her jump landings and wondered who is that...can I say wow...I was mesmerized

I prefer to watch on TV and in hi def but I've been streaming the short programs on-line lately....I'm blown away that they don't even show the short programs on TV but such is life...I've also watched as many historical performances on-line as I can...so amazing...

I'm from the US and I love to hear all of the different perspectives of all of you from all over the world...especially the old timers...I'm really fascinated by the up and coming Russian young ladies...

Rinkside
    1. Approximately what year did you first become aware that there is a sport called figure skating?
    No

d. obsessed (a considerable portion of my waking life is spent skating, watching skating, and/or reading/talking/writing about skating, at Golden Skate and elsewhere)

5. Would you consider your current level of interest higher or lower than your answer to question 2?
    Definitely Higher.

6. Was there a point or period in between question 2 and now when your interest was at an all-time high? When?
    I would have to say 1992-2002 I was beyond obsessed with the sport. I was a huge fan Of Kristi Yamaguchi, and I followed Michelle Kwan's career sine 1993 when I saw here in Phoenix at Nationals

d. elite competition (Olympics, Worlds, Grand Prix, nationals of countries with deep competitive fields)

8. What country do you live in? Please indicate if you have moved between the time of questions 1-2 and now
    USA

Custom Title

Probably in the early 90s. I want to say 1992.

1994, from what I remember. I was 11 and that Olympics is the earlier memory I have of actually watching a figure skating competition.

No.

N/A

b. interested (I'll seek out opportunities to watch on video, and live if costs, location, and schedule allow). Probably more between interested and serious, but right now leaning towards interested more.

Lower.

1997-2006.

United States. Have not moved.
    Last edited by loop9497; 11-11-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3