When did you become a skating fan? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

When did you become a skating fan?

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
1. Approximately what year did you first become aware that there is a sport called figure skating? Probably around 2006 (this is because I'm a teenager, I don't live in a cave :) )

2. Approximately what year did you become a fan of the sport? 2010. (Relatively recently, so I'm still learning!) I saw the Olympics and I was hooked.

3. Have you ever taken skating lessons? No, but I'd like to.

4. Would you consider your current level of fandom
c. serious (I will go out of my way and spend money specifically to obtain access to videos or travel to shows or competitions, and I will do outside reading to learn about the current competition rules)

5. Would you consider your current level of interest higher or lower than your answer to question 2? About the same. I spend extra money to get Universal Sports and subscribe to several skating magazines. I have never been able to travel to a competition, though.

6. Was there a point or period in between question 2 and now when your interest was at an all-time high? When? Not really, my interest is still high.

7. Which of the following is your favorite format to watch skating?
d. elite competition (Olympics, Worlds, Grand Prix, nationals of countries with deep competitive fields)

8. What country do you live in? USA

noskates

Record Breaker
1. Approximately what year did you first become aware that there is a sport called figure skating?
Carol Heiss and the Olympics at Squaw Valley, CA. - 1960

2. Approximately what year did you become a fan of the sport?

3. Have you ever taken skating lessons?
Oh Lord no.......that's why my screenname is NOSKATES

3a. If so, did you start lessons before or after identifying yourself as a fan?

a. casual (I'll watch on TV or online if it's convenient, occasionally attend a live event near my home)
b. interested (I'll seek out opportunities to watch on video, and live if costs, location, and schedule allow)
c. serious (I will go out of my way and spend money specifically to obtain access to videos or travel to shows or competitions, and I will do outside reading to learn about the current competition rules)
d. obsessed (a considerable portion of my waking life is spent skating, watching skating, and/or reading/talking/writing about skating, at Golden Skate and elsewhere)

B

5. Would you consider your current level of interest higher or lower than your answer to question 2?

Higher

6. Was there a point or period in between question 2 and now when your interest was at an all-time high? When?

Probably the World Championships in Oakland, CA in 1992 and any time Kurt Browning competed

a. shows that feature costumes, plots or themes, and group numbers
b. shows that feature current and former elite medal winners
c. professional and pro-am/"open" competitions featuring current and/or former elite medal winners with more emphasis on artistry/entertainment and less on technical difficulty
d. elite competition (Olympics, Worlds, Grand Prix, nationals of countries with deep competitive fields)
e. all international competitions and, in countries with deep fields, qualifying and nonqualifying competitions featuring skaters with national and international aspirations
f. all levels of amateur/eligible competition from local club events to Olympics/Worlds
g. primarily local competitions and shows -- I'd rather watch kids I know than elite level strangers

B, D, E and F

8. What country do you live in? Please indicate if you have moved between the time of questions 1-2 and now

USA

lulu

Final Flight
Just out of curiosity, I'd like to get a sense of trends in when, where, and how Golden Skate posters became skating fans. Please answer as many of the questions as appropriate

1. Approximately what year did you first become aware that there is a sport called figure skating? I vaguely remember figure skating at the 1992 Olympics, but I first really became involved in figure skating in 1994.

2. Approximately what year did you become a fan of the sport? I first became a fan in 1994, I was the only person in my elementary school who was rooting for Tonya Harding (had nothing to do with her skating at the time, I just loved being a contrarian at the time), fell in love with Oksana Baiul. Figure Skating lost it's luster for me, but I got back in the fandom after SLC.

no.

a. casual (I'll watch on TV or online if it's convenient, occasionally attend a live event near my home)
b. interested (I'll seek out opportunities to watch on video, and live if costs, location, and schedule allow)
d. obsessed (a considerable portion of my waking life is spent skating, watching skating, and/or reading/talking/writing about skating, at Golden Skate and elsewhere)

Can I say casual and obsessed? I don't spend money on figure skating events, and I haven't seen a test/club event in years, but I do frequent figure skating messageboards, youtube current and old figure skating routines almost everyday. If figure skating is on t.v., I'll usually watch it, but I won't go out of my way to watch an event.

5. Would you consider your current level of interest higher or lower than your answer to question 2? Lower.

6. Was there a point or period in between question 2 and now when your interest was at an all-time high? When?

2003-2006

c. professional and pro-am/"open" competitions featuring current and/or former elite medal winners with more emphasis on artistry/entertainment and less on technical difficulty
e. all international competitions and, in countries with deep fields, qualifying and nonqualifying competitions featuring skaters with national and international aspirations
f. all levels of amateur/eligible competition from local club events to Olympics/Worlds
g. primarily local competitions and shows -- I'd rather watch kids I know than elite level strangers

Elite competitions, but I also loved watching the Russian test skate videos and I'm looking forward to the Japan Medal Winners Open as well. :)

8. What country do you live in? Please indicate if you have moved between the time of questions 1-2 and now
U.S.

Tippy Snookums

Spectator
1. Approximately what year did you first become aware that there is a sport called figure skating?
Around 1984-85 .... when I was a new Canskater I remember watching the older girls in their pretty dresses.....

1988- Battle of the Brians and Olympics in general. Tried some disastrous attempts at flying camels on my living room floor : )

Yes, all my life, now coach and skate as an adult

Before

5. Would you consider your current level of interest higher or lower than your answer to question 2?
Higher

No, I don't think so.

Canada

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

Mid 90s. Started with Torville and Dean who basically held Britain hostage for 2 decades to love of figure skating/ice dancing. I am generally cynical about anything popular, but I thought I'd watch the next Olympics to see what is the fuss about.

Twice.
Started with Winter Olympics '94, Michelle Kwan. Need I say more?
Interest waned after her second attempt, and the judging scandal in 02 totally sealed the deal.
I became interested again after witnessing Yuna Kim's perfect 10 moment at Winter Olympics 2010 (more like perplexed and utterly amazed). I haven't been following figure skating for years, so it was with fresh eyes I saw Yuna, Mao and the amazing final flight of ladies for the first time, which was quite an an opener. Didn't really enjoy the mens at the time, thought it was predictably war of words between US vs Russia, politics and media frenzies hasn't gone away. I thought what Plushy said was valid, at the same time, he should have done better to seal the deal. Since last year I have become wiser to the fact with human judging, it is never possible not to have biases and influenced by outside factors. It is up to the judge panels of the day to keep these lines in check from getting it too wrong.

Yes for 2 summer, because of I want to fly effortlessly like Kwan. I thought having background in ballet and folk dancing would have helped. I was dead wrong. Actually i realised very quickly it is not something you can do half heartily as a hobby. It requires a great deal of dedication, time and effort. The 2nd summer was very frustrating seems like i havn't learned anything at all the first time, going through a growth spurt hasn't helped. I am someone with mild case of ADD, and can get too greedy with too many hobbies including sports, painting and playing a few instruments at the time. (Piano, Violin, Chinese Viola, Guitar, and um... Harmonica, Chinese flute, recorder just for fun lol. I can play music by ear but with skating, there are no cheats or quick shortcuts like in Music or Art.)

Fan first.

b-d. On a scale of 1-10, it varies on a daily basis between 4-9 depends on who am I watching. Some times i wonder why I bother when i see a artistically contrived piece of work ends on the podium just because of the name, reputation, politics and tick all the COP boxes. I have planned my holidays to coincide with skating shows and competitions to LA, Moscow and Boston.I am also a subscriber to skating mags and forum.

Higher now Yuna is back facing probably the deepest field in years with many promising young talents coming up. The Mens are getting sooo exciting too. I want to support Jeremy and Patrick more this season, think what they are doing with their skating is great and exciting! I like skaters takes risks, try something new and different, push themselves for higher actualization; physically, artistically, musically, philosophically. For figure skating to evolve as a sport and art, it mustn't remain stagnant and predictable.

WC, I was at Moscow, just want to see all the skaters live and experience it for myself. I learnt alot.

It is difficult to answer this question, because i think it is about quality and not format. Therefore I'd pick D. Though B is great during the off seasons, Yuna's LA show cast was just amazing.

UK now. I was between UK and Asia during the time of Q1-Q2.

Last edited:

dwiggin3

Final Flight

Yup!

Slightly after I saw a skating show and then took Basic Skills lessons then private then competing.

Lower....after removal of figures and Kwan's retirement, I see the quality and purity of skating decreasing. With the exception of the surge in NA dance teams, there really have not been any standouts that have garnered my attention.

During the year before any given winter Olympics and during the Michelle Kwan era.

USA

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I don't remember, it was so long time ago, my mama liked so much.

I don't know exactly...I was a very little girl, I've seen them compete: Irina Rodnina, Dianne De Leeuw , Tai Babilonia and Randy Gardner, Mojseeva-Minenkov..... I don't know who was better Jan Hoffman or Kovaljev.. I felt in love with Robin Cousins..:love: I loved Fadeev's white pants...:biggrin: , I adored Oxana Baiul, and loved Michelle Kwan, Kulik and Yagudin etc.:clap: In 1998 I saw a little blond russian guy, with big nose and he was a prodigy...:rock: and in that moment I became his huge fan forever.

No.

b. and
d. obsessed of one skater :party2:

5. Would you consider your current level of interest higher or lower than your answer to question 2? higher

1994-2006.

d.

European Unio

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Oh, that's a good one! It would have been sometime during the Nineties, but I am not sure when. That said, I am nearly sure about how I found out. It would have been through somebody involved in the sport appearing on Blue Peter. Thinking logically, it was probably Jayne and Chris, but I definitely remember seeing Robin Cousins on the show (although, I think that was only within the last 6 or 7 years).

However, if it was the very late Nineties, there is the possibility that I found out through the local news on BBCNI or UTV doing a feature on an up-and-coming local skater called Jenna McCorkell…

I first got interested in figure skating probably around the 2001/2002 season. I would be in the kitchen doing my homework, and would need a break. So I would flick on Eurosport to see what was on. And, sometimes there would be figure skating on. Irina Slutskaya was at the height of her success at the time. I was really impressed by her, and whenever I came across skating, I would keep an eye out for how Irina was doing.

But, I can tell you the exact date that I became a proper fan. Thursday 23rd January 2003. During the Ladies Free Programme at the 2003 European Championships. To be precise, during Carolina Kostner's performance ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28djAK9g4-0 ). Here was this beautiful wee 15 year old Italian girl. And she put on a performance that was absolutely amazing! I instantly fell in love! And I have been hooked ever since! ;) :biggrin:

I haven't had lessons, but in 2001 I went on a youth club trip to the Jet Centre in Coleraine (Jenna McCorkell's local rink until they closed it to extend the cinema). Suffice to say, I vowed "never again". Mind you, I am now thinking "actually, I wouldn't mind another try…" ;) :biggrin:

N/A

Definitely (b.) interested (I'll seek out opportunities to watch on video, and live if costs, location, and schedule allow)

Oh, far higher. Like, this season I have started hunting out videos of competitions on the internet to make up for Eurosport not showing the competitions in their entirety due to other programming commitments. And, when I found out Liza and Jenna were both competing at the Eric Bompard Trophée, I even priced how much it would cost to go to Paris for the weekend. But, it worked out too expensive for an unemployed archaeologist!

My interest is definitely at an all-time high now.

Oh, that's a hard one! I haven't seen any shows, so that's (a.) and (b.) out. In fact, now that I think of it, (d.) is the only option that I have seen. But, I would like to see some national competitions, so I will choose (e.)

I have lived in Northern Ireland my whole life.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

1991 also, at the World Figure Skating Championships. Because more of a series fan during the 2009 World Figure Skating Championships. Watching Yuna win on high definition television should make anyone a more serious fan!

No, but I am considering doing so this winter. There are figure skating lessons available at my local rink!

Definitely higher. Namely because it's so much easier to access all levels of competitions and get access to information.

I think my interest has continued to grow. This current Olympic cycle (2010-2014) is probably my most active cycle so far as a figure skating fan.

USA. I have not moved as far as countries but I have changed states from question 1-2 (Pennsylvania) to now (Washington).

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker

Probably around 1990 :)

We'll say...1992
No :(

Much higher.

No not really :)

USA :)

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist

1992, I was four years old. My mom took me for skating lessons at the local rink.

My mom always had skating on when I was little. But I think I made it a point to start watching on my own around 1997-1998 during the Michelle vs. Tara thing leading up to the Olympics.

Yes, I skated competitively for several years when I was younger.

Before

I am somewhere between "interested" and "serious". I make sure to watch all of the competitions and clear my schedule so that I can catch the live stream if available. But I am a busy graduate student and that is top priority in my life right now. I'll probably be watching the GPF and maybe the last couple of competitions of the Grand Prix late because of exams. I have been to shows but have never traveled to a competition(Grand Prix, Nationals etc). This is mainly because I am a poor student and I really don't have the money right now to pay for travel, hotel, and a ticket. Years ago Worlds was held in my home city and I think Skate America has been reasonably close. If an opportunity like that ever came up in my area then I'd be there in a second. But I definitely have to balance skating with other very important priorities in my life.

Higher. I was very young and didn't have the ability to watch skating whenever I wanted and rearrange my schedule to watch competitions back then.

There have been highs and lows in my interest/ability to watch figure skating from 1998 until now. Some seasons I've watched every competition and some I've missed the entire Grand Prix series, Nationals, and Worlds. To give you an idea, I joined this website in 2005 and my last post until very recently was in 2007. I've been busy busy busy with school and other drama in my life. :)

I watch all of the "main" competitions. The Grand Prix, US Nationals, Worlds, Europeans, Four Continents, and the Olympics.

I've lived in the "middle of nowhere" United States my entire life. I'm certainly not as "well traveled" as some of the other members of this forum.

Last edited:

leoncorazon

Skating on through
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I became a fan in the early 1980's....Rosalynn Sumners is from Edmonds and I learned to skate at the same rink...what a fabulous double axel...still the best I've ever seen...from anyone

I became very fascinated with the battle of the Brians and Kat Witt in 1988...Kat's 1994 tribute to Sarajevo was probably the first program that moved me to tears.

I also became a hard core Kwan fan after she lost in 1998...sooo much dignity

I have attended a few comps...1990 Goodwill games for example....but last year's nationals (so much easier than trying to get a ticket to the Olympics) was my first and definitely not my last

I'll also never forget stumbling upon Tonya Harding practicing on the ice at Lloyd center in Portland. I actually heard her jump landings and wondered who is that...can I say wow...I was mesmerized

I prefer to watch on TV and in hi def but I've been streaming the short programs on-line lately....I'm blown away that they don't even show the short programs on TV but such is life...I've also watched as many historical performances on-line as I can...so amazing...

I'm from the US and I love to hear all of the different perspectives of all of you from all over the world...especially the old timers...I'm really fascinated by the up and coming Russian young ladies...

Rod Celaya

Spectator
No

Definitely Higher.

I would have to say 1992-2002 I was beyond obsessed with the sport. I was a huge fan Of Kristi Yamaguchi, and I followed Michelle Kwan's career sine 1993 when I saw here in Phoenix at Nationals

USA

loop9497

On the Ice
Country
United-States

Probably in the early 90s. I want to say 1992.

1994, from what I remember. I was 11 and that Olympics is the earlier memory I have of actually watching a figure skating competition.

No.

N/A

b. interested (I'll seek out opportunities to watch on video, and live if costs, location, and schedule allow). Probably more between interested and serious, but right now leaning towards interested more.

Lower.

1997-2006.

United States. Have not moved.

Last edited: