Page 71 of 77 FirstFirst ... 21 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1147

Thread: State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    One wonders if, considering everything, this team is good enough to do what it's being asked to do...
    Ashley says: “I think the U.S. is sending a very capable team. Gracie and I, as long as we skate solid performances we’ll be able to accomplish that. I definitely am aware there’s a lot at stake at this competition.”

I guess I agree with this. If everyone skated their best I think Ashley would wind up 5th and Gracie 8th, which would do it. However, as we know all the skaters do not skate their best, so if they are clean the US ladies could place a bit higher. I'm not confident because both skaters are coming in with little momentum.

Down With It
    I actually think Gold can do better than 8th if she did her best...but in reality, top 10 will be a stretch for her.

As for Wagner, she's in that funny spot where she MIGHT be able to medal (or even win- don't laugh, Meissner did it) if she skated lights out w/3-3 and the favorites stumbled, but on an average day will probably be around 5th-6th. Maybe 4th on a good day.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    With the kind of ironic luck US women have been having at Worlds the last few years, Gracie will skate lights out to a surprise 5th place finish, while Ashley bombs into 9th place. *sadtrombone*

Custom Title
    Keeping my fingers crossed that Gracie skates lights out (think Nationals FS plus CLEAN SP) and that Wagner has regained her Grand Prix-level consistency. If both of these things happen, we should have no problem getting 3 spots for Sochi. I don't really care whether either ends up on the podium in London as long as we can send 3 skaters to the Olympics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by amc987 View Post
    Keeping my fingers crossed that Gracie skates lights out (think Nationals FS plus CLEAN SP) and that Wagner has regained her Grand Prix-level consistency. If both of these things happen, we should have no problem getting 3 spots for Sochi. I don't really care whether either ends up on the podium in London as long as we can send 3 skaters to the Olympics.
    Same here. First things first is getting that 3rd spot back. Sooner not later another US Lady will be on the podium.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by amc987 View Post
    Gracie said that she's focusing on putting out 2 to 3 completely clean programs every day. The only thing standing in her way is nerves, which I think (hope) her coaches and sports psychologist are helping her overcome.

Despite her GPF and Nationals free skates, I'm really not worried about Ashley. She's gained a lot of respect on the international scene this season and was remarkably consistent at both of her Grand Prix events (and, even with two falls, won silver in the GPF behind Mao Asada). Plus, it'll be good for Gracie to have someone on hand who's had prior Worlds experience.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Despite her GPF and Nationals free skates, I'm really not worried about Ashley. She's gained a lot of respect on the international scene this season and was remarkably consistent at both of her Grand Prix events (and, even with two falls, won silver in the GPF behind Mao Asada)...
    who, I should point out, is someone Wagner has beaten before...

Custom Title
    I'm more worried for Ashley than I was before, because so many of the people she's up against seem to be peaking now (Kostner, Asada, Tuktamisheva) or have demonstrated evidence of righting the slump they were in (Suzuki, Sotnikova). We haven't seen where Ashley's at (nor Gold, for that matter). Kim's not in either group due to a real lack of a season, but she delivered a clean long program at Nationals which suggests she's certainly in fighting condition.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I'm more worried for Ashley than I was before, because so many of the people she's up against seem to be peaking now (Kostner, Asada, Tuktamisheva) or have demonstrated evidence of righting the slump they were in (Suzuki, Sotnikova). We haven't seen where Ashley's at (nor Gold, for that matter). Kim's not in either group due to a real lack of a season, but she delivered a clean long program at Nationals which suggests she's certainly in fighting condition.
    Actually, I worry that Asada's eight-triple free skate is too ambitious. If she hits every single element, she's definitely on the podium and maybe even the world champion. If she falters or missteps, the judges are sure to hammer her down -- she may not even finish in the top five with the level of skating that's going to be present.

Custom Title
    I expect all 6 of those skaters to finish ahead of Ashley and Gracie in the SP. That is why I am concerned; I worry less about Ashley skating 2 clean programs than her finishing down in the standings because of no 3/3 in the SP. She seems kind of uncertain about doing the 3/3 in her interview, something along the lines of "we'll decide when we get there." IMO unless she is doing it poorly in practice, Ashley MUST go for the 3/3 in the SP.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I expect all 6 of those skaters to finish ahead of Ashley and Gracie in the SP. That is why I am concerned; I worry less about Ashley skating 2 clean programs than her finishing down in the standings because of no 3/3 in the SP. She seems kind of uncertain about doing the 3/3 in her interview, something along the lines of "we'll decide when we get there." IMO unless she is doing it poorly in practice, Ashley MUST go for the 3/3 in the SP.
    I agree.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Actually, I worry that Asada's eight-triple free skate is too ambitious. If she hits every single element, she's definitely on the podium and maybe even the world champion. If she falters or missteps, the judges are sure to hammer her down -- she may not even finish in the top five with the level of skating that's going to be present.
    But they're not sure to hammer her down. NHK 2012 was an example where great GOEs (she out GOEd Suzuki!) and PCS actually compensate a great deal. Now, you can argue that the level of skating in London will be too high for her to be successful with that kind of program, and I'll agree, but attempting 8 triples when one is a 3A? Yeah, she's got room for error. Ashley with six triples simply doesn't.

Custom Title
    I'm afraid that if Ashley goes for the 3/3 and/or the 2a+3t, she will UR the second jump. That would leave her with less points than if she didn't go for those jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I'm afraid that if Ashley goes for the 3/3 and/or the 2a+3t, she will UR the second jump. That would leave her with less points than if she didn't go for those jumps.
    Depends on how she UR's them. If it doesn't result in a glaring error (step-out, hand down, fall), the GOE penalty may not be too bad.

Miserere Nobis
    But they're not sure to hammer her down. NHK 2012 was an example where great GOEs (she out GOEd Suzuki!) and PCS actually compensate a great deal. Now, you can argue that the level of skating in London will be too high for her to be successful with that kind of program, and I'll agree, but attempting 8 triples when one is a 3A? Yeah, she's got room for error. Ashley with six triples simply doesn't.
    NHK was also, to many, a glaring error on the part of the judges. I don't throw around the term lightly, but I do believe that Suzuki was robbed of the gold there. I don't disagree that Asada has room for error -- my question is how many errors can she afford to make before the judges drop her?

Page 71 of 77 FirstFirst ... 21 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 LastLast