Page 73 of 77 FirstFirst ... 23 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1147

Thread: State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season

Down With It
    Getting the 3rd spot back is great, but I have to wonder if it will be able to be maintained. Oh well, at least one more US lady gets to experience the Olympics and that's a big deal.

Yes, the stakes were high this season and Wagner had a lot she was dealing with in the mean time...now that this season is behind her, she can simply focus on making the Oly team, which will now be easier since 3rd place (most likely) now makes it as well...and then hopefully go all out and show the world who she is. Still, 2014 Worlds could be her time to shine - I think a lot of top skaters will be skipping it (probably not Asada though since it's in Japan).

For some reason, I think Wagner's reign as the top US lady is going to come to an end very soon. But perhaps that's where she wants to be - less pressure that way. She skates best coming from behind/when she's in underdog position.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Getting the 3rd spot back is great, but I have to wonder if it will be able to be maintained. Oh well, at least one more US lady gets to experience the Olympics and that's a big deal.

Yes, the stakes were high this season and Wagner had a lot she was dealing with in the mean time...now that this season is behind her, she can simply focus on making the Oly team, which will now be easier since 3rd place (most likely) now makes it as well...and then hopefully go all out and show the world who she is. Still, 2014 Worlds could be her time to shine - I think a lot of top skaters will be skipping it (probably not Asada though since it's in Japan).

For some reason, I think Wagner's reign as the top US lady is going to come to an end very soon. But perhaps that's where she wants to be - less pressure that way. She skates best coming from behind/when she's in underdog position.
    Who do you think will be the top US lady then, Gold? Just curious.

Actually, I think she will be pretty fired up to try to earn another U.S. title. She probably didn't like it any better than any of us that she got it due to her lead in the SP. I think she wants to have that standing ovation/SOHL to get the title. Gracie and Co. will battle her for it, but I think she will not settle for third place just so she can make the Olympics.

And actually, I think despite her setbacks this season, she actually grew in a lot of ways this year. She was notorious for two-foot jumps and she has done a LOT fewer of those this year. I think she really had lovely programs with some great transitions in and out of her jumps. And most importantly, she learned what it's like to maintain consistency.

Now she gets to build on that...which is a lot better than having to go back to the drawing board like Mirai and Alissa will be doing.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Who do you think will be the top US lady then, Gold? Just curious.
    Most likely. Although it's assuming quite a bit: 1) she stays healthy and 2) she becomes a better competitor.

But it's not that so much as I don't think Wagner can maintain the level of performance she showed earlier in the year. She has already begun slipping - it may not be a Meissner free fall type of decline but on an off-night she is very beatable (or at least should be...)

Most likely. Although it's assuming quite a bit: 1) she stays healthy and 2) she becomes a better competitor.

But it's not that so much as I don't think Wagner can maintain the level of performance she showed earlier in the year. She has already begun slipping - it may not be a Meissner free fall type of decline but on an off-night she is very beatable (or at least should be...)
    We shall see, won't we? I'm not trying to be an Ashley uber (honestly I'm not really a huge uber for any of the U.S. Ladies) but I really like her competitive drive and believe that she will use it productively.

Custom Title
    We got our 3 spots back for the Olympics??? It's finally happened!

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    We got our 3 spots back for the Olympics??? It's finally happened!
    I know, right? Wow, it's now all over - we can all breathe again!

(Wagner was 5th, Gold 6th which is 11 < 13 so 3 spots it is)

Custom Title
    Good job! I'm delighted. That's one less thing to hand-wring about at Nationals

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    We shall see, won't we? I'm not trying to be an Ashley uber (honestly I'm not really a huge uber for any of the U.S. Ladies) but I really like her competitive drive and believe that she will use it productively.
    Honestly, I do too. But that's the very reason I felt let down by her recent performances. The opposite of what I'm used to seeing from Wagner - instead of being gutsy and no-holds-barred, she's become very cautious and conservative (and still slipping up). Now that the essential thing has been done (3 spots, US media should ease up a bit now), perhaps she can let loose a bit more.

Custom Title
    I don't think Wagner is very talented. She's a work horse. She's dependable in the past 2 years. But raw talent? Natural ability to perform? Nope. She's not!
    Flatt is similar. But Flatt is likeable and Flatt has other things going on at the same time.

Gold is the new US #1. Next year, expect her PCS to shoot up significantly (deserved or not) I don't think she deserve to break 60 at this point, but I see her doing much better in the future. She just needs to get the right programs, and learn to perform.

For next year, Gold and Wagner are locked for the team. Third spot would be between Hicks and Gao. Mirai is dumped, she really has absolutely no chance. Miller has little jumps, so no chance. Samantha also has no chance. They don't need Czisny anymore.

Two will be top 10, but 6th at best. Another will be top 15.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post

Gold is the new US #1. Next year, expect her PCS to shoot up significantly (deserved or not) I don't think she deserve to break 60 at this point
    She's already there. She got 60.18 at worlds

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Puchi View Post
    She's already there. She got 60.18 at worlds
    I mean at Nationals where she would get the highest PCS.
    I know she got 60+ now, I don't think she deserve it now. I also don't think a lot of them deserve their PCS either, so relatively speaking, it was ok.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    I don't think Wagner is very talented. She's a work horse. She's dependable in the past 2 years. But raw talent? Natural ability to perform? Nope. She's not!
    Flatt is similar. But Flatt is likeable and Flatt has other things going on at the same time.

Gold is the new US #1. Next year, expect her PCS to shoot up significantly (deserved or not) I don't think she deserve to break 60 at this point, but I see her doing much better in the future. She just needs to get the right programs, and learn to perform.

For next year, Gold and Wagner are locked for the team. Third spot would be between Hicks and Gao. Mirai is dumped, she really has absolutely no chance. Miller has little jumps, so no chance. Samantha also has no chance. They don't need Czisny anymore.

Two will be top 10, but 6th at best. Another will be top 15.
    I agree on all you said but you didnt mention Agnes. Do you think she has a chance at the 3rd Olympic spot?

Custom Title
    I would like to see Hicks improve and get that 3rd spot- she's kinda wild, but her jumps are huge and she has an energy and excitement I don't see with the others who competed at juniors.
    Wagner is locked in, but I think she has peaked. Waiting for that long-legged talent Polina Edmunds to get some age on her to replace Ashley one day, sorry Ashley.
    Gold, Hicks, Edmunds- I can live with that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I agree on all you said but you didnt mention Agnes. Do you think she has a chance at the 3rd Olympic spot?
    Oh god, that one. Didn't even cross my mind. I think she should man the register at the hot dog stand. No chance.

Page 73 of 77 FirstFirst ... 23 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 LastLast