State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season | Page 45 | Golden Skate

State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I have no doubt about her TES. Her PCS, I have big problem with. She is no where near the level of the phenoms, and the phenoms didn't get 60 in PCS for a long time.

unfortunately to be it girl (sell products in u.s has you have to have face). i been told i was homely and ugly since i was born. i don't have the photographic/photogenic face . it helps in job interview, meeting with public, perception. they hold you in higher standard.help people watch you and overlook mistakes etc. sad but true--now with social media, internet, you tube etc. comments on looks, etc. shouldn't but does automatically consciously or unconsciously

in my order of ranking of photographic/photgenic faces best top to worst last
sorry but going into last half of this year/next year olympics.
looks help.

i
1) alissa
2)ashley
3) gracie
4) caroline
5) mirai & christina
6) rachel
7) courtney
8) agnes.
didn't count senior ladies who hasn't skated in a senior event -went back to juniors.

AW, gee. Couldn't you have just said that Alissa, Ashley, and Gracie are pretty, and stopped there?

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Why is that better? You are still stating that the other women are not pretty, only implicitly. Also, why the cutoff at Gracie, mm?

There is no reason to put in number order how pretty any skater is. I think any skater who will go out and do what they love for their country is beautiful.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
There is no reason to put in number order how pretty any skater is. I think any skater who will go out and do what they love for their country is beautiful.

I don't mean to be cynical, but I definitely think it's way more for themselves than for their country. And who could fault them for that? Skating is expensive. Gotta love the sport to continue for years on end as well.

Reginald

Match Penalty
There are a lot of eerie similarities between Kimmie Meissner, Alissa Czisny, and Ashley Wagner.
In 2006-2007, Kimmie won a major senior international (4CC) and nationals, and placed 4th at worlds (with a score of 180.23).
In 2007-2008, she did decently on the GP Circuit, but then went to the GP Final and didn't do well.
In the 2008, nationals, she didn't perform her best, but still was good enough to go to worlds.
At 2008 worlds, she performed poorly.
By the 2008-2009 season, her career was basically over.

In 2010-2011, Alissa won a major senior international (GPF) and nationals, and placed 5th at worlds (with a score of 182.25).
In 2011-2012, she did decently on the GP Circuit, but then went to the GP Final and didn't do well.
In the 2012, nationals, she didn't perform her best, but still was good enough to go to worlds.
At 2012 worlds, she performed poorly.
By the 2012-2013 season, her career was basically over.

In 2011-2012, Ashley won a major senior international (4CC) and nationals, and placed 4th at worlds (with a score of 176.77.).
In 2012-2013, she did decently on the GP Circuit, but then went to the GP Final and didn't do well.
In the 2013, nationals, she didn't perform her best, but still was good enough to go to worlds.
At 2013 worlds, she performed______.

ForeverFish

Medalist
I don't mean to be cynical, but I definitely think it's way more for themselves than for their country. And who could fault them for that? Skating is expensive. Gotta love the sport to continue for years on end as well.

Agree. At the age that elite figure skaters begin the sport (6-8, or even younger), I doubt that they're considering the honor they can bring their country. It's all about sparkly dresses, jumps, and pretty music until they realize that they have more talent than most.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
There are a lot of eerie similarities between Kimmie Meissner, Alissa Czisny, and Ashley Wagner.
In 2006-2007, Kimmie won a major senior international (4CC) and nationals, and placed 4th at worlds (with a score of 180.23).
In 2007-2008, she did decently on the GP Circuit, but then went to the GP Final and didn't do well.
In the 2008, nationals, she didn't perform her best, but still was good enough to go to worlds.
At 2008 worlds, she performed poorly.
By the 2008-2009 season, her career was basically over.

In 2010-2011, Alissa won a major senior international (GPF) and nationals, and placed 5th at worlds (with a score of 182.25).
In 2011-2012, she did decently on the GP Circuit, but then went to the GP Final and didn't do well.
In the 2012, nationals, she didn't perform her best, but still was good enough to go to worlds.
At 2012 worlds, she performed poorly.
By the 2012-2013 season, her career was basically over.

In 2011-2012, Ashley won a major senior international (4CC) and nationals, and placed 4th at worlds (with a score of 176.77.).
In 2012-2013, she did decently on the GP Circuit, but then went to the GP Final and didn't do well.
In the 2013, nationals, she didn't perform her best, but still was good enough to go to worlds.
At 2013 worlds, she performed______.

As some would say say, a pattern is a pattern till it's no longer a pattern. I hope Ashley breaks this pattern.

ForeverFish

Medalist
As some would say say, a pattern is a pattern till it's no longer a pattern. I hope Ashley breaks this pattern.

Me too. Fervently. Without Ashley, there's not really a skater left who can carry the American ladies. Gracie's talented and finally beginning to live up to her potential, but she's still so young and liable to crack under pressure. Agnes and Christina, despite their musicality, just don't have the "it" factor required to take command of the show. Mirai's been struggling ever since the Olympics, and the younger girls with potential for stardom--Angela Wang, etc.--haven't had near the amount of experience on the senior international circuit that they need to become real threats.

Hopefully, Ashley takes full advantage of her break from 4CC to rework her programs and add a triple-triple in both the SP and the FS. Without it, some terrific skaters will have to crash and burn for her to have a shot at the podium.

Last edited:

Reginald

Match Penalty
Another eerie similarity.

Kimmie did not go to Four Continents before 2008 worlds.

Alissa did not go to Four Continents before 2012 worlds.

Ashley isn't going to this year's four continents before worlds.

Ashley will probably perform well at worlds due to my jinxing it.

However, it will be tough for Ashley and Gracie to get three sport back.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
However, it will be tough for Ashley and Gracie to get three sport back.

It will be. Ashley will be lucky to repeat her 4th place finish, and it looks like the two Russian girls can challenge for placements between 4 to 7 after their solid showing at Europeans. Along with Akiko, that's 7 ladies who have a very good shot at finishing ahead of Gracie. 4th (Ashley) + 8th (Gracie) will get the job done, but it's clear there is very little margin for error.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Can't believe just a month or two ago a bunch of people actually think Ashley can win World. :)

Who said that?

Same with Rachael Flatt-Yuna Kim after 2009 Skate America. *shrugs* I just want to watch a good competition.

Last edited:

ForeverFish

Medalist
5th and 8th. 6th and 7th, piece of cake! Go, ladies!

Actually, Gracie's CoR score would have given her a 6th place finish at last year's Worlds, way ahead of Asada and just behind Murakami. Not by any means the same level of scoring at Worlds, I know, but the bottom line is that a clean Gracie (SP and FS) can rack up points in the 180-190 range.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Don't get your hopes up though. 1 for 3...remember that

And yes, once AGAIN history is not on Wagner's side heading to Worlds. She got INCREDIBLY lucky at Nationals is all I can say...

ForeverFish

Medalist
Don't get your hopes up though. 1 for 3...remember that

And yes, once AGAIN history is not on Wagner's side heading to Worlds. She got INCREDIBLY lucky at Nationals is all I can say...

I'm gonna be honest here and confess that I'm more worried for Ashley than Gracie headed into Worlds. I can't even imagine how difficult it would be to head into the last major international competition before the Olympics as the national champion of a country that really wants its three spots back. And Ashley's most recent performances weren't exactly of the caliber we saw at SA and TEB. Lucky or not, though, history wasn't on her side at Nationals, either.

Gracie, on the other hand, doesn't have nearly as much pressure on her shoulders. No one's realistically expecting her to pose a medal threat (unless they changed the rules and made it a purely technical competition), so she can get out there and have a good time. Her FS at Nats should have bolstered her confidence some, and as I said before, a clean Gracie is a generously rewarded Gracie.