State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season | Page 43 | Golden Skate

State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
with Alyssa out with injury, the second spot/silver should be a competition with Mirai and Gracie
with Gao and Zawadzki as outside shots

is Hannah competing in seniors ?
if not she could compete with Karen Chen for the junior national title

just wondering

On the Ice
with Alyssa out with injury, the second spot/silver should be a competition with Mirai and Gracie
with Gao and Zawadzki as outside shots

is Hannah competing in seniors ?
if not she could compete with Karen Chen for the junior national title

Hannah is competing Senior. The junior title is not a done deal for Chen. She'll be competing against Barbie Long, Mariah Bell, Polina Edmunds, three names that pop into my head. Will be exciting to watch them all!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So sad about Czisny. I think many of us wanted her to be a factor but the truth is it was too soon for her to come back and she would have been a huge doubt with her horrific world's last year. It was one of the biggest downfalls since Lu Chen and at least Lu Chen looked pretty on ice. Poor AC did not look good at all at worlds I wish her well and while we talk for fun; it is a life and if she wants to go for theOlympics I wish her well. It isn't impossible but I think the writing on the wall says move on to the next phase of your life but she might surprise us but I can't say AC has really shown much improvement or glimmer of hope after world's.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sucks for Czisny - in retrospect she really should have just taken the season off. Especially after pulling out of NHK. Like I said in another thread, rushing back to competition is just not a smart move.

I think she really wants a shot at the Olympics...otherwise she would not have stayed in this long. But this may be the end of the road for her. I was doubtful about her successful return from her previous injury but from this one, apparently a hip dislocation? That's a death knell. Besides, she has to start thinking about her long-term health and whether it is really worth the sacrifice to keep trying. Only she can answer that.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Sucks for Czisny - in retrospect she really should have just taken the season off. Especially after pulling out of NHK. Like I said in another thread, rushing back to competition is just not a smart move.

I think she really wants a shot at the Olympics...otherwise she would not have stayed in this long. But this may be the end of the road for her. I was doubtful about her successful return from her previous injury but from this one, apparently a hip dislocation? That's a death knell. Besides, she has to start thinking about her long-term health and whether it is really worth the sacrifice to keep trying. Only she can answer that.

Agreed. I think her body is beginning to poop out on her and that's the worse thing, especially when you still want to skate. But this is the stage where one injury tends to lead to another and you're never able to get back to 100% or close to 100%.

I don't know if she'll come back from this but her concern should be about her overall health outside of skating. I feel sorry for her though. I never thought she had a hope of making it to worlds this year but it'd have been nice to see her put in two solid programs to erase her last outing.

This opens the door for a few of the other skaters though (5-10) in terms of placing better...

Poor Alissa...:disapp:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Don't feel bad for Alissa. She has so much to be proud of: two national titles, multiple international titles, and a top 5 finish at the World Championships. If last year's Worlds was her last competitive appearance, it is a pity because it was a poor showing by her standards. But when we look back on her career there are a lot of great results too. As others have said, she likely will have professional opportunities in which she can showcase all of her amazing non-jump abilities. I think we may have seen the last of Alissa as an amateur but I suspect we'll see a lot more from her in the future in shows and professional competitions.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Here is an article about Alissa's service on a committee to raise five million dollars to save the hockey program at Bowling Green University. Bowling Green alum Scott Hamilton is honorary co-chair, along with past hockey greats from the school.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=648178&print=true

If she can and wants to continue to skate, she's one of Scott's favorites (she's his hometown girl!) so I have a feeling she'd find a place in SOI - if it survives.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
American Stars on Ice will be bankrupt and over in 2 years max. Book it. However there is always Canadian Stars on Ice and tons of shows in Europe and Asia now.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
I find this thread hard to keep up with...so overwhelming. But here's the thought I have reading the last few pages pre- and post-Czisny injury at the recent pre-nationals event:

This thread seems to be maintained by a bunch of folks who really don't like AC. Why else has it become a forgone conclusion that she receives higher scores (in both TE and PC) than she deserves? (E.g., the myth that she was over-scored at Nationals in 2012--am I the only one who saw Zawadzki's FS?) I disagree. Heck, I think AC only started receiving the scores she deserved all along (with respect to both aspects) in late 2011. My opinion? Yes, but so is yours. The way folks sometimes assert their opinions as facts on this thread is galling.

I'm using the last bit of my hope for Czisny's return next year, making the Olympic and World team and earning (at one, the other, or both) a long deserved medal.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
This thread seems to be maintained by a bunch of folks who really don't like AC. Why else has it become a forgone conclusion that she receives higher scores (in both TE and PC) than she deserves? (E.g., the myth that she was over-scored at Nationals in 2012--am I the only one who saw Zawadzki's FS?) I disagree. Heck, I think AC only started receiving the scores she deserved all along (with respect to both aspects) in late 2011. My opinion? Yes, but so is yours. The way folks sometimes assert their opinions as facts on this thread is galling.

I think you can like Alissa while also having the opinion that she is over-marked at times. I was ok with Alissa finishing ahead of Agnes and Caroline but I do think her SP was marked generously considering her major jumping error. Alissa does a lot of things very well but, to me, she is a clear notch below Caro K, Yuna and Mao on PCS.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
she is a clear notch below Caro K, Yuna and Mao on PCS.

That is not my view, but I think the three you mention, along with some others (e.g., Suzuki, Murakami), are all so good, along with AC, PC-wise, that differences among them are really matters of opinion, and truly nothing more.

Of course, none of those awesome women were competitors at U.S. nationals in 2012 -- which seems a little bit relevant given what I take to be your point, drivingmissdaisy.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Despite Alissa not skating at this year's nationals there is still lots to cheer about. Sure we will miss Alissa's race and beauty - probably the best in the US at the least maybe in the world. However, her melt downs make Chan's pratfalls look like clean performances. The American team will miss her this year but won't hurt. She wasn't a real threat and they still have Waner and Gold, Nagasu, Zhang, Zawadiak, Gao et al

jaylee

Medalist
I find this thread hard to keep up with...so overwhelming. But here's the thought I have reading the last few pages pre- and post-Czisny injury at the recent pre-nationals event:

I'm using the last bit of my hope for Czisny's return next year, making the Olympic and World team and earning (at one, the other, or both) a long deserved medal.

Czisny has had a long career, with a lot of ups and downs. Performances like she gave at 2009 Worlds and 2011 Nationals/Worlds are in such contrast to her career highlights like 2007 Nationals, 2011 Nationals, that she has polarized many skating fans, who never know what to expect from Czisny (or were disappointed when they did have high expectations). Even her first Nationals win in 2009 was somewhat controversial at the time.

Obviously, no one wishes her ill now, just a full recovery. I'm afraid though that the Olympic team/medal or World medal is something like Michelle Kwan's OGM dream--something that will remain out of her reach.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I think Skater Boy meant to type "grace" instead of "race". :laugh:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Czisny should have worn a Miki Ando mask at the 2011 Worlds and Miki Ando a Czisny mask. I bet Czisny would have won and Ando finished lower than Czisnys 5th place if that were the case, even for the exact same performances both gave (note I am not saying Czisny deserved to win the 2011 Worlds, just as Ando sure as hell didnt).

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Czisny should have worn a Miki Ando mask at the 2011 Worlds and Miki Ando a Czisny mask. I bet Czisny would have won and Ando finished lower than Czisnys 5th place if that were the case, even for the exact same performances both gave (note I am not saying Czisny deserved to win the 2011 Worlds, just as Ando sure as hell didnt).

Miki's jumps are a lot better. That's only why she won, Yuna messed up the SP and then Ando racked up a bunch of points doing a bunch of +GOE triples in the 2nd half of her FS. That's COP for you.