State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season | Page 55 | Golden Skate

State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season

R.D.

Record Breaker
Getting the 3rd spot back is great, but I have to wonder if it will be able to be maintained. Oh well, at least one more US lady gets to experience the Olympics and that's a big deal.

Yes, the stakes were high this season and Wagner had a lot she was dealing with in the mean time...now that this season is behind her, she can simply focus on making the Oly team, which will now be easier since 3rd place (most likely) now makes it as well...and then hopefully go all out and show the world who she is. Still, 2014 Worlds could be her time to shine - I think a lot of top skaters will be skipping it (probably not Asada though since it's in Japan).

For some reason, I think Wagner's reign as the top US lady is going to come to an end very soon. But perhaps that's where she wants to be - less pressure that way. She skates best coming from behind/when she's in underdog position.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Getting the 3rd spot back is great, but I have to wonder if it will be able to be maintained. Oh well, at least one more US lady gets to experience the Olympics and that's a big deal.

Yes, the stakes were high this season and Wagner had a lot she was dealing with in the mean time...now that this season is behind her, she can simply focus on making the Oly team, which will now be easier since 3rd place (most likely) now makes it as well...and then hopefully go all out and show the world who she is. Still, 2014 Worlds could be her time to shine - I think a lot of top skaters will be skipping it (probably not Asada though since it's in Japan).

For some reason, I think Wagner's reign as the top US lady is going to come to an end very soon. But perhaps that's where she wants to be - less pressure that way. She skates best coming from behind/when she's in underdog position.

Who do you think will be the top US lady then, Gold? Just curious.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Actually, I think she will be pretty fired up to try to earn another U.S. title. She probably didn't like it any better than any of us that she got it due to her lead in the SP. I think she wants to have that standing ovation/SOHL to get the title. Gracie and Co. will battle her for it, but I think she will not settle for third place just so she can make the Olympics.

And actually, I think despite her setbacks this season, she actually grew in a lot of ways this year. She was notorious for two-foot jumps and she has done a LOT fewer of those this year. I think she really had lovely programs with some great transitions in and out of her jumps. And most importantly, she learned what it's like to maintain consistency.

Now she gets to build on that...which is a lot better than having to go back to the drawing board like Mirai and Alissa will be doing.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Who do you think will be the top US lady then, Gold? Just curious.

Most likely. Although it's assuming quite a bit: 1) she stays healthy and 2) she becomes a better competitor.

But it's not that so much as I don't think Wagner can maintain the level of performance she showed earlier in the year. She has already begun slipping - it may not be a Meissner free fall type of decline but on an off-night she is very beatable (or at least should be...)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Most likely. Although it's assuming quite a bit: 1) she stays healthy and 2) she becomes a better competitor.

But it's not that so much as I don't think Wagner can maintain the level of performance she showed earlier in the year. She has already begun slipping - it may not be a Meissner free fall type of decline but on an off-night she is very beatable (or at least should be...)

We shall see, won't we? I'm not trying to be an Ashley uber (honestly I'm not really a huge uber for any of the U.S. Ladies) but I really like her competitive drive and believe that she will use it productively.

R.D.

Record Breaker
We shall see, won't we? I'm not trying to be an Ashley uber (honestly I'm not really a huge uber for any of the U.S. Ladies) but I really like her competitive drive and believe that she will use it productively.

Honestly, I do too. But that's the very reason I felt let down by her recent performances. The opposite of what I'm used to seeing from Wagner - instead of being gutsy and no-holds-barred, she's become very cautious and conservative (and still slipping up). Now that the essential thing has been done (3 spots, US media should ease up a bit now), perhaps she can let loose a bit more.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I don't think Wagner is very talented. She's a work horse. She's dependable in the past 2 years. But raw talent? Natural ability to perform? Nope. She's not!
Flatt is similar. But Flatt is likeable and Flatt has other things going on at the same time.

Gold is the new US #1. Next year, expect her PCS to shoot up significantly (deserved or not) I don't think she deserve to break 60 at this point, but I see her doing much better in the future. She just needs to get the right programs, and learn to perform.

For next year, Gold and Wagner are locked for the team. Third spot would be between Hicks and Gao. Mirai is dumped, she really has absolutely no chance. Miller has little jumps, so no chance. Samantha also has no chance. They don't need Czisny anymore.

Two will be top 10, but 6th at best. Another will be top 15.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
She's already there. She got 60.18 at worlds ;)

I mean at Nationals where she would get the highest PCS.
I know she got 60+ now, I don't think she deserve it now. I also don't think a lot of them deserve their PCS either, so relatively speaking, it was ok.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I don't think Wagner is very talented. She's a work horse. She's dependable in the past 2 years. But raw talent? Natural ability to perform? Nope. She's not!
Flatt is similar. But Flatt is likeable and Flatt has other things going on at the same time.

Gold is the new US #1. Next year, expect her PCS to shoot up significantly (deserved or not) I don't think she deserve to break 60 at this point, but I see her doing much better in the future. She just needs to get the right programs, and learn to perform.

For next year, Gold and Wagner are locked for the team. Third spot would be between Hicks and Gao. Mirai is dumped, she really has absolutely no chance. Miller has little jumps, so no chance. Samantha also has no chance. They don't need Czisny anymore.

Two will be top 10, but 6th at best. Another will be top 15.

I agree on all you said but you didnt mention Agnes. Do you think she has a chance at the 3rd Olympic spot?

guanchi

On the Ice
I would like to see Hicks improve and get that 3rd spot- she's kinda wild, but her jumps are huge and she has an energy and excitement I don't see with the others who competed at juniors.
Wagner is locked in, but I think she has peaked. Waiting for that long-legged talent Polina Edmunds to get some age on her to replace Ashley one day, sorry Ashley.
Gold, Hicks, Edmunds- I can live with that.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Pretty easy to forget about Zawadzki these days, no? I constantly forget about her as well...

Anyway, judging from the reaction on Twitter there is a lot of excitement among the skaters (fans, too) and I think this will be a real source of motivation for many of these girls.

I don't know about spaces locked up - I'd say if Gold holds the fort, she's got one easily...Wagner can also get one easily but she'll have to work for it...3rd spot will probably be similar to 2006 where there will be several contenders. I don't think Czisny will make it- if she's not injured she'll fold under the pressure as usual. It looks like it may shape up to be a fight between Zawadzki, Gao and Hicks. Nagasu has a shot as well but it's a long one to be honest. I think she is being passed by somewhat quickly and even with 3 spots it will be tough for her to make a second Oly team.

I want the 3rd spot to go to someone who actually has a legit chance at spoiler. I can't name anyone outside of Wagner and Gold now who can do that...PERHAPS Czisny or Nagasu on a good day, but how likely is that?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Oh god, that one. Didn't even cross my mind. I think she should man the register at the hot dog stand. No chance.

Well do remember the judges gave her 3rd place at the last 2 Nationals even with really bad LPs filled with mistakes both times. Next year 3rd place means going to the Olympics. Or do you think the USFSA love for her is about to dry out completely.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Anyway, AS IT STANDS NOW, I think Wagner/Gold/Nagasu would be the team with highest potential. Wagner/Gold/Gao would be OK too but Gao's probably the weak link there, competitive for bottom top 10 at best

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Well do remember the judges gave her 3rd place at the last 2 Nationals even with really bad LPs filled with mistakes both times. Next year 3rd place means going to the Olympics. Or do you think the USFSA love for her is about to dry out completely.

Oh, she milked the last drop from that udder.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think it is hoping for too much to think the 3rd U.S skater will have spoiler potential. Csizny and Nagasu at this point do not have spoiler potential even if one miracelously made the team and skated lights out at the Games. They have NO international rep anymore, they have even barely been seen internationaly in the last 18 months and the battle lines are already being drawn in the judges mind with a large sea of names. Gold and Wagner at this point are only spoilers. Nobody is picking either to win an Olympic medal next year, everyone thinks the podium is Kim, Asada, and Kostner in some order, and there will be more attention on the Russians sure to be overhyped on their home ice, possibly Murakami, and possibly even Osmond than either of them as well, so that means they are the definition of spoiler. Granted Nagasu didnt have much international rep in 2010 and came 4th, but she was fresh and new then, which she isnt anymore. I think a 3rd U.S skater who is solid and has a decent shot at top 10 at the Games and not embarass the U.S pride, and then can help perhaps save the U.S 3rd spot if one of Wagner or Gold have an off event at the post Olympic Worlds is good enough. Frankly it should just go to whoever skates best at Nationals after Gold and Wagner .