State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season | Page 12 | Golden Skate

State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season

burntBREAD

Medalist
Does anyone know why Mirai got a level 1 on her combination spin? Is it because the (rather unattractive) catchfoot she did in her flying camel earlier counted as a forward camel (as opposed to a donut spin which would be sideways camel), and then she did something similar in the combo spin, which reduced it to level 1?

janetfan

Match Penalty

tulosai

Record Breaker
Mirai apparently turned in a decent LP at Finlandia (haven't seen it yet) and won another Intl medal. I guess if she medals at CoC that will be enough to keep her out of Skate America again next season. And to only receive one GP event.

Great, fair system we have in USA.

Go Mirai!

Mirai is likely to receive the spot that Tukt will open at Skate Canada if she does, in fact, withdraw. It is only a gut feeling, but I think she is going to.

The USA has very little to do with who gets GP slots- you have to be invited by the host country. It is true they chose to invite Flatt to SA over Mirai but as others have discussed more eloquently than I could, it makes some some sense. If Mirai wants to receive 2 guaranteed GP slots she has to skate to deserve them like everyone else.

In addition, Finlandia is far from a truly prestigious competition. If Mirai had finished below anyone she finished above (all of whom are virtually unknowns, at least by people who follow skating only casually), that would have been very bad indeed. 110 is a decent FS score but the scores there were all inflated. I wouldn't hail this as her second coming yet.

That said, I have not seen the FS and I was impressed with her triple-triple combo in the short despite the fall and the fact that she did not give up.

This is all coming from a huge Mirai fan. In addition, the USA has exempted Mirai from needing to qualify for Nationals this year despite the fact that technically, she should need to. Some (though not me) actually see this and the fact that she was an alternate at Worlds as signs of favoritism toward Mirai. It's not fair to ignore the whole picture just because you like a skater.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Mirai is likely to receive the spot that Tukt will open at Skate Canada if she does, in fact, withdraw. It is only a gut feeling, but I think she is going to.

The USA has very little to do with who gets GP slots- you have to be invited by the host country. It is true they chose to invite Flatt to SA over Mirai but as others have discussed more eloquently than I could, it makes some some sense. If Mirai wants to receive 2 guaranteed GP slots she has to skate to deserve them like everyone else.

In addition, Finlandia is far from a truly prestigious competition. If Mirai had finished below anyone she finished above (all of whom are virtually unknowns, at least by people who follow skating only casually), that would have been very bad indeed. 110 is a decent FS score but the scores there were all inflated. I wouldn't hail this as her second coming yet.

That said, I have not seen the FS and I was impressed with her triple-triple combo in the short despite the fall and the fact that she did not give up.

This is all coming from a huge Mirai fan. In addition, the USA has exempted Mirai from needing to qualify for Nationals this year despite the fact that technically, she should need to. Some (though not me) actually see this and the fact that she was an alternate at Worlds as signs of favoritism toward Mirai. It's not fair to ignore the whole picture just because you like a skater.

I appreciate your post -but wouldn't it seem MORE FAIR based on Intl results if it was Christina or Agnes who were up for the possible open GP spot at SC or NHK?

It doesn't even feel like a reasonable discusion to say that Christina or Agnes have had better Intl results than Mirai.

Those who don't believe me only have to check out the Intl rankings of the three Ladies.

I could also ask why Mirai has to skate under the added pressure this season. Anyone half-way honest knows it is easier to prepare for two assigned GP's than to be on the outside hoping to skate well enough to get a last minue replacement slot.

Not only that but the "pageant effect" that still rules skating almost means Mirai would have a better chance to pick up a GP slot if she skated POORLY ....rahther than well.

Why in the world would SC want Mirai if they could get a less acomplished skater - one who their best girls could more predictably beat?

Sorry but this is not sport -it is pure pageantry - and I see it as a major reason Americans no longer consider skating an important or legitimate sport.

And why should we......(last time I checked simply being caucasian was not enough to make anyone America's sporting favorite).

The out of touch lily white group that runs US Skating has other ideas.

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I appreciate your post -but wouldn't it seem MORE FAIR based on Intl results if it was Christina or Agnes who were up for the possible open GP spot at SC or NHK?

It doesn't even feel like a reasonable discusion to say that Christina or Agnes have had better Intl results than Mirai.

Those who don't believe me only have to check out the Intl rankings of the three Ladies.

I could also ask why Mirai has to skate under the added pressure this season. Anyone half-way honest knows it is easier to prepare for two assigned GP's than to be on the outside hoping to skate well enough to get a last minue replacement slot.

Not only that but the "pageant effect" that still rules skating almost means Mirai would have a better chance to pick up a GP slot if she skated POORLY ....rahther than well.

Why in the world would SC want Mirai if they could get a less acomplished skater - one who their best girls could more predictably beat?

Sorry but this is not sport -it is pure pageantry.

indeed, what is actually puzzling is how the US Fed keeps promoting on Agnes who in fact has proven time and time she isnt very much reliable
not to mention horrible in FS, Agnes is better than Mirai ? :unsure:, that would be like saying Flatt is the Best Current US skater

samson

Medalist
It's great to finally see some SKATING. So at this point we've seen at least FS efforts by Gracie, Ashley, Agnes, Caroline, and Mirai.

Honestly all this skating just makes me more anxious for the grand prix to start. Great to see Mirai successfully hitting the axel/toe combo with 1+ in GOE. Her jumps looks steadier this year, she has more flight. I'm glad to see the triple/triple attempts this early as well. And her layback is WAY faster this year and the position is improved it's become a real feature and I think the scores deservedly showed that. She may have fire in her yet.

Ashley seems ready to claim her place as one of the best in the world, and the judges seem ready to let her do that too. It was a fine debut for her free skate. I won't be surprised if it grows on me as the season develops. Right now I don't love it, but I wasn't a fan of black swan at the beginning of last season either and I think she definitely made it a signature piece by 4CC.

Agnes, I really don't know. She gave a great sp at the Classic, but her free skates continue to be a problem.

And in two weeks we'll be in grand prix season! I'm looking to see if Caroline can bounce back after Nebelhorn, but I feel like she's always been a late season skater, so I'm not too anxious.

janetfan

Match Penalty
indeed, what is actually puzzling is how the US Fed keeps promoting on Agnes who in fact has proven time and time she isnt very much reliable
not to mention horrible in FS, Agnes is better than Mirai ? :unsure:, that would be like saying Flatt is the Best Current US skater

They tried making us believe Flatt was the best US skater for a few years - even after the Intl judges kept saying NO!
Now it is Ashley's turn. US Skating can feel very smug knowing Gracie is waiting in the wings.

Whatever happened to what you did on the ice counting for more than "other factors."

If some here write that Mirai lacks confidence - I say when she is treated like a second rate skater as opposed to one of USA's best how is she supposed to act?

Nobody here is gonna say Agnes or Christina are better skaters than Mirai - but they will say with a feeling of righteousness that Mirai is being treated like USA's Favorite.

How laughable.....:disagree:

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If some here write that Mirai lacks confidence - I say when she is treated like a second rate skater as opposed to one of USA's best how is she supposed to act?

Mirai's "treatment" is based on how she performs. The problem is she is not a reliable performer---last year, she finished 5th in one GP and 2nd in another. Then at Nationals she was 5th in the SP and 8th in the FS, finishing 7th overall.

Mirai herself doesn't seem invested in her own performances. Much of the time, she skates through a performance with little or no expression, almost as if she wished she were somewhere else.

I'd say it's not a lack of confidence but a lack of commitment that keeps Mirai from being on top.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Mirai's "treatment" is based on how she performs. The problem is she is not a reliable performer---last year, she finished 5th in one GP and 2nd in another. Then at Nationals she was 5th in the SP and 8th in the FS, finishing 7th overall.

Mirai herself doesn't seem invested in her own performances. Much of the time, she skates through a performance with little or no expression, almost as if she wished she were somewhere else.

I'd say it's not a lack of confidence but a lack of commitment that keeps Mirai from being on top.

Why do you and Doris simply refuse to acknowledge Mirai also won Nebelhorn last season?
So she had a senior Gold and Silver last season to go with a disappointing Natls.

If Alissa was held to such standards we would have seen the last of her several years ago.
(BTW, I love Alissa - just getting tired of such inaccurate and biased comments about Mirai's record from last season.)

And how is this - maybe the most mature LP we have seen from Mirai?
This is early in the season-and with new coaches - but I like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6h8JdqSDhw

Go Mirai !

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I do think Mirai's LP has a lot of hope - no Miss America smile like her uninspirational Carmen - that alone deserved no podium at the Olympics. It was like a princess skating to classical music give me good marks because I skate like an American Princess to artistic classical opera music. USA has never been short of feminine, graceful princesses and I am not talking Johnny Weir lol. I am talking Hamel, Fratianne, Kadavy, Trenary, Yamaguchi, Kerrigan, bobek, Cohen, Kwan et al. But Ashley looks like WGM could be hers. Carolina is a question mark. The Russians look like they are in trouble with no clear leader or great skating so far. Mao doesn't look the same; Yuna is rusty and who knows about hte other Japanese ladies Murakami and Akiko. Akiko does look good but I never saw her as a WGM more of a medallist - Wagner has the goods and presence. A lot of stock is in Gold but she has time to develop and looks better for now than the Russian baby ballerinas.

samson

Medalist
Well I think this could potentially be Mirai's best free skate. I think the style suits her, it's a great contrast to her sp, and I think it shows more maturity than any other routine we've seen from her. But when you're 19 and beginning to find your own independence in the world I would expect that to happen.

R.D.

Record Breaker
For reference, here are the Japan Open videos for Ashley Wagner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TJMDkYMfy7c

and Agnes Zawadzki:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwMlWXiWxA0&feature=channel&list=UL

Again, this year will be a big test for Wagner. I will be interested to see how she does under pressure at the big events (remember, this was just a fluff competition). But still, an impressive start for her.

As for Zawadzki...actually, she wasn't bad a few weeks ago so I'll cut her slack here. Besides, if you pick a competition to bomb...better to do it at an event like the Japan Open rather than Nationals (or Worlds), for example. That said, red flags will go up if she continues to flub the LP during the Grand Prix...

As for Nagasu, an encouraging sign is that she didn't give up after the fall. It will still be an uphill battle for her, though, with Wagner, Zawadzki and Gold in the mix. Also, I got a bit of a cold vibe from that performance. I really feel she is at her best when she is happy, and freely expressing that happiness on the ice.

Last edited:

brightphoton

Medalist
Mirai's FS reminded me sooo much of her at 2008 Nationals. :eek: this girl is so good, talent and skill is just pouring out of her. Those landings are held out and so smooth. Her posture, so refined. And that gorgeous camel with so much extension, straight into the donut spin, no sticking her butt up in the air as a transition. And that final layback combination spin and that biellmann variation. and that music, it's so dramatic. No more cutsey wootsy Carmen. :hb: :hb:Thank goodness she dumped Frank.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm very happy with where Ashley's long program is this early in the season. She needs to add a bit more fire, which I don't doubt that she will...

janetfan

Match Penalty
For reference, here are the Japan Open videos for Ashley Wagner:

As for Nagasu, an encouraging sign is that she didn't give up after the fall. It will still be an uphill battle for her, though, with Wagner, Zawadzki and Gold in the mix. Also, I got a bit of a cold vibe from that performance. I really feel she is at her best when she is happy, and freely expressing that happiness on the ice.

And I think if the judging is fair for a change it will be an uphill battle for Ashley, Agnes and Gracie if Mirai skates well at Natls. :p

What is Mirai to do -if she skates "cutesy" folks like you get on her for....being too cute.:)

If she shows more maturity we hear " I want Mirai to be cute and carefree when she skates.

She must read GS alot-coz this season she has a cutesy SP and a very dramatic LP.

What's a girl to do...... :think:

brightphoton

Medalist
And I think if the judging is fair for a change it will be an uphill battle for Ashley, Agnes and Gracie if Mirai skates well at Natls. :p

What is Mirai to do -if she skates "cutesy" folks like you get on her for....being too cute.:)

If she shows more maturity we hear " I want Mirai to be cute and carefree when she skates.

She must read GS alot-coz this season she has a cutesy SP and a very dramatic LP.

That's a good choice because 30% of people like cute and 70% of people like dramatic, so everyone is happy :cool:

Just saw Ashley's FS. This year's Nationals is gonna be good

R.D.

Record Breaker

FYI, it's been PROVEN that Nagasu has at least been here before...one of her tweets a long time ago referenced a (female) poster on GS...

in MY opinion, I think Nagasu was at her best around the Olympics. Now, some will knock her for doing those same performances that I thought were simply amazing, but that's the sheer fact that you simply cannot please everyone. Best you can do is at least please the 9-14 people along that table controlling your destiny. And if they want "mature", then so be it. I'll probably tune out though.

Mirai's FS reminded me sooo much of her at 2008 Nationals. :eek: this girl is so good, talent and skill is just pouring out of her. Those landings are held out and so smooth. Her posture, so refined. And that gorgeous camel with so much extension, straight into the donut spin, no sticking her butt up in the air as a transition. And that final layback combination spin and that biellmann variation. and that music, it's so dramatic. No more cutsey wootsy Carmen.

This is a wonderful program! I didn't realize that she was using the Saint-Saens Organ Symphony. That's such wonderfully flowing music, emotionally intense yet lyrical and varied in both tone and pacing. This program gives me great hopes for Mirai this year! It just goes to show you: skating fans should never give up on anyone.

Musical sideline: Paul Wylie used a fragment of the Organ Symphony to finish off his silver medal-winning Henry V program in the 1992 Olympics.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
FYI, it's been PROVEN that Nagasu has at least been here before...one of her tweets a long time ago referenced a (female) poster on GS...

in MY opinion, I think Nagasu was at her best around the Olympics. Now, some will knock her for doing those same performances that I thought were simply amazing, but that's the sheer fact that you simply cannot please everyone. Best you can do is at least please the 9-14 people along that table controlling your destiny. And if they want "mature", then so be it. I'll probably tune out though.

Fair enough and we are all entitled to like what we like.

I doubt if I will take any kitchen break during Natls - atleast the part that is broadcast.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
That's why we have the house set up that you can see the big screen tv in the living room from the Kitchen... we don't miss anything! :rock: