Page 16 of 77 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 66 ... LastLast

Thread: State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season

Custom Title
    It's great to finally see some SKATING. So at this point we've seen at least FS efforts by Gracie, Ashley, Agnes, Caroline, and Mirai.

Honestly all this skating just makes me more anxious for the grand prix to start. Great to see Mirai successfully hitting the axel/toe combo with 1+ in GOE. Her jumps looks steadier this year, she has more flight. I'm glad to see the triple/triple attempts this early as well. And her layback is WAY faster this year and the position is improved it's become a real feature and I think the scores deservedly showed that. She may have fire in her yet.

Ashley seems ready to claim her place as one of the best in the world, and the judges seem ready to let her do that too. It was a fine debut for her free skate. I won't be surprised if it grows on me as the season develops. Right now I don't love it, but I wasn't a fan of black swan at the beginning of last season either and I think she definitely made it a signature piece by 4CC.

Agnes, I really don't know. She gave a great sp at the Classic, but her free skates continue to be a problem.

And in two weeks we'll be in grand prix season! I'm looking to see if Caroline can bounce back after Nebelhorn, but I feel like she's always been a late season skater, so I'm not too anxious.

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    indeed, what is actually puzzling is how the US Fed keeps promoting on Agnes who in fact has proven time and time she isnt very much reliable
    not to mention horrible in FS, Agnes is better than Mirai ? , that would be like saying Flatt is the Best Current US skater
    They tried making us believe Flatt was the best US skater for a few years - even after the Intl judges kept saying NO!
    Now it is Ashley's turn. US Skating can feel very smug knowing Gracie is waiting in the wings.

Whatever happened to what you did on the ice counting for more than "other factors."

If some here write that Mirai lacks confidence - I say when she is treated like a second rate skater as opposed to one of USA's best how is she supposed to act?

Nobody here is gonna say Agnes or Christina are better skaters than Mirai - but they will say with a feeling of righteousness that Mirai is being treated like USA's Favorite.

How laughable.....
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-07-2012 at 04:09 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    If some here write that Mirai lacks confidence - I say when she is treated like a second rate skater as opposed to one of USA's best how is she supposed to act?
    Mirai's "treatment" is based on how she performs. The problem is she is not a reliable performer---last year, she finished 5th in one GP and 2nd in another. Then at Nationals she was 5th in the SP and 8th in the FS, finishing 7th overall.

Mirai herself doesn't seem invested in her own performances. Much of the time, she skates through a performance with little or no expression, almost as if she wished she were somewhere else.

I'd say it's not a lack of confidence but a lack of commitment that keeps Mirai from being on top.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Mirai's "treatment" is based on how she performs. The problem is she is not a reliable performer---last year, she finished 5th in one GP and 2nd in another. Then at Nationals she was 5th in the SP and 8th in the FS, finishing 7th overall.

Mirai herself doesn't seem invested in her own performances. Much of the time, she skates through a performance with little or no expression, almost as if she wished she were somewhere else.

I'd say it's not a lack of confidence but a lack of commitment that keeps Mirai from being on top.
    Why do you and Doris simply refuse to acknowledge Mirai also won Nebelhorn last season?
    So she had a senior Gold and Silver last season to go with a disappointing Natls.

If Alissa was held to such standards we would have seen the last of her several years ago.
    (BTW, I love Alissa - just getting tired of such inaccurate and biased comments about Mirai's record from last season.)

And how is this - maybe the most mature LP we have seen from Mirai?
    This is early in the season-and with new coaches - but I like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6h8JdqSDhw

Go Mirai !
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-08-2012 at 07:09 AM.

Custom Title
    I do think Mirai's LP has a lot of hope - no Miss America smile like her uninspirational Carmen - that alone deserved no podium at the Olympics. It was like a princess skating to classical music give me good marks because I skate like an American Princess to artistic classical opera music. USA has never been short of feminine, graceful princesses and I am not talking Johnny Weir lol. I am talking Hamel, Fratianne, Kadavy, Trenary, Yamaguchi, Kerrigan, bobek, Cohen, Kwan et al. But Ashley looks like WGM could be hers. Carolina is a question mark. The Russians look like they are in trouble with no clear leader or great skating so far. Mao doesn't look the same; Yuna is rusty and who knows about hte other Japanese ladies Murakami and Akiko. Akiko does look good but I never saw her as a WGM more of a medallist - Wagner has the goods and presence. A lot of stock is in Gold but she has time to develop and looks better for now than the Russian baby ballerinas.

Custom Title
    Well I think this could potentially be Mirai's best free skate. I think the style suits her, it's a great contrast to her sp, and I think it shows more maturity than any other routine we've seen from her. But when you're 19 and beginning to find your own independence in the world I would expect that to happen.

Down With It
    For reference, here are the Japan Open videos for Ashley Wagner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=TJMDkYMfy7c

and Agnes Zawadzki:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwMlW...hannel&list=UL

Again, this year will be a big test for Wagner. I will be interested to see how she does under pressure at the big events (remember, this was just a fluff competition). But still, an impressive start for her.

As for Zawadzki...actually, she wasn't bad a few weeks ago so I'll cut her slack here. Besides, if you pick a competition to bomb...better to do it at an event like the Japan Open rather than Nationals (or Worlds), for example. That said, red flags will go up if she continues to flub the LP during the Grand Prix...

As for Nagasu, an encouraging sign is that she didn't give up after the fall. It will still be an uphill battle for her, though, with Wagner, Zawadzki and Gold in the mix. Also, I got a bit of a cold vibe from that performance. I really feel she is at her best when she is happy, and freely expressing that happiness on the ice.
    Last edited by R.D.; 10-07-2012 at 05:48 PM.

Custom Title
    Mirai's FS reminded me sooo much of her at 2008 Nationals. this girl is so good, talent and skill is just pouring out of her. Those landings are held out and so smooth. Her posture, so refined. And that gorgeous camel with so much extension, straight into the donut spin, no sticking her butt up in the air as a transition. And that final layback combination spin and that biellmann variation. and that music, it's so dramatic. No more cutsey wootsy Carmen. Thank goodness she dumped Frank.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 10-07-2012 at 06:21 PM.

I'm very happy with where Ashley's long program is this early in the season. She needs to add a bit more fire, which I don't doubt that she will...

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    For reference, here are the Japan Open videos for Ashley Wagner:

As for Nagasu, an encouraging sign is that she didn't give up after the fall. It will still be an uphill battle for her, though, with Wagner, Zawadzki and Gold in the mix. Also, I got a bit of a cold vibe from that performance. I really feel she is at her best when she is happy, and freely expressing that happiness on the ice.
    And I think if the judging is fair for a change it will be an uphill battle for Ashley, Agnes and Gracie if Mirai skates well at Natls.

What is Mirai to do -if she skates "cutesy" folks like you get on her for....being too cute.

If she shows more maturity we hear " I want Mirai to be cute and carefree when she skates.

She must read GS alot-coz this season she has a cutesy SP and a very dramatic LP.

What's a girl to do......

Custom Title
    And I think if the judging is fair for a change it will be an uphill battle for Ashley, Agnes and Gracie if Mirai skates well at Natls.

What is Mirai to do -if she skates "cutesy" folks like you get on her for....being too cute.

If she shows more maturity we hear " I want Mirai to be cute and carefree when she skates.

She must read GS alot-coz this season she has a cutesy SP and a very dramatic LP.

That's a good choice because 30% of people like cute and 70% of people like dramatic, so everyone is happy

Just saw Ashley's FS. This year's Nationals is gonna be good

Down With It

FYI, it's been PROVEN that Nagasu has at least been here before...one of her tweets a long time ago referenced a (female) poster on GS...

in MY opinion, I think Nagasu was at her best around the Olympics. Now, some will knock her for doing those same performances that I thought were simply amazing, but that's the sheer fact that you simply cannot please everyone. Best you can do is at least please the 9-14 people along that table controlling your destiny. And if they want "mature", then so be it. I'll probably tune out though.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    Mirai's FS reminded me sooo much of her at 2008 Nationals. this girl is so good, talent and skill is just pouring out of her. Those landings are held out and so smooth. Her posture, so refined. And that gorgeous camel with so much extension, straight into the donut spin, no sticking her butt up in the air as a transition. And that final layback combination spin and that biellmann variation. and that music, it's so dramatic. No more cutsey wootsy Carmen.
    This is a wonderful program! I didn't realize that she was using the Saint-Saens Organ Symphony. That's such wonderfully flowing music, emotionally intense yet lyrical and varied in both tone and pacing. This program gives me great hopes for Mirai this year! It just goes to show you: skating fans should never give up on anyone.

Musical sideline: Paul Wylie used a fragment of the Organ Symphony to finish off his silver medal-winning Henry V program in the 1992 Olympics.
    Last edited by Olympia; 10-07-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    FYI, it's been PROVEN that Nagasu has at least been here before...one of her tweets a long time ago referenced a (female) poster on GS...

in MY opinion, I think Nagasu was at her best around the Olympics. Now, some will knock her for doing those same performances that I thought were simply amazing, but that's the sheer fact that you simply cannot please everyone. Best you can do is at least please the 9-14 people along that table controlling your destiny. And if they want "mature", then so be it. I'll probably tune out though.
    Fair enough and we are all entitled to like what we like.

I doubt if I will take any kitchen break during Natls - atleast the part that is broadcast.

That's why we have the house set up that you can see the big screen tv in the living room from the Kitchen... we don't miss anything!

Page 16 of 77 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 66 ... LastLast