State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season | Page 17 | Golden Skate

State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season

clairecloutier

Final Flight
A bit of a delay but I finally got to watching Nagasu at COC.

I sort of have to agree with Chuckm that she wasn't all that impressive (at least in the FS). But having said that, this is the best I've seen her do in quite some time. It's too bad about all the URs, though. I only saw one jump that was clearly UR - the others needed a closer look and honestly, this is what I dislike most about the NJS. UR jumps don't even detract much from the overall performance- it's a big source of confusion and frustration with the system.

Is Nagasu on her way back? Depends on if she can get the URs under control...but I noticed something else. Is it just me or do her jumps have a little bit of wrap now? That could be a factor. I guess she's still in the game, but as far as getting on the US world team, probably not unless she makes significant improvement on jumps and/or others completely fall apart.

I just watched Mirai's Cup of China LP last night . . . disappointing. She stayed upright through the program. But that was the best you could say about it. The performance level and spark were missing, as noted by Tonia Kwiatkowski on UniversalSports, and there were so many URs. Her speed was better but still not where it should be. The whole program was just so generic, so flat.

I've held out hope for Mirai for so long, but time is running out. This year is critical, and it's passing her by already, without any notable success. There's a lot of parity and so many contenders now on the ladies' side; Mirai needed to do well this season internationally just to keep her name in the ring.

Unless she can improve significantly by Nationals, and I don't really expect that to happen, I think she should probably consider retirement after this season. At this point, skating is probably a net financial loss for her family; I can't imagine she's earned much money at all the last couple seasons. And if the Olympics aren't realistic, it's a genuine question whether it's worth continuing. I think Caroline Zhang, Rachael Flatt, and Alissa Czisny are all facing the same question.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I have to disagree here. UR had gotten out of control for awhile there, with every 13 year old girl doing 3-3s not very well. No it doesn't impact the program when it isn't noticeable but I think it is good to encourage proper technique and reward jumps that are done well. As Mao showed, you can win with several URs so it doesn't exclude someone from skating an otherwise excellent program from having good results. The judges have to draw the line somewhere, and I think up to a 1/4 cheat is fair. The replays are necessary because ladies have gotten very good at landing cheated jumps, but it looks like this next generation of American and Russian teens are jumping cleaner.

Not to turn this thread into a debate about the system but this is touching on another thing: TV (in the US at least) needs to do a MUCH better job explaining and analyzing these things so that viewers are not so confused about a result. For NBC, that means a new broadcast team (no more Hamilton/Bezic, they're 6.0 folks), a new approach (more analysis, perhaps at the expense of fluff/backstage footage?), and perhaps more graphics (something like the jump checklist ESPN used at one point).

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think Caroline Zhang, Rachael Flatt, and Alissa Czisny are all facing the same question.

I think Alissa, and to a lesser extent Mirai, could do the show/pro circuit. Alissa does everything amazingly well besides the jumps. Mirai can sell an upbeat number like her SP and she could do well with programs like that.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I just watched Mirai's Cup of China LP last night . . . disappointing. She stayed upright through the program. But that was the best you could say about it. The performance level and spark were missing, as noted by Tonia Kwiatkowski on UniversalSports, and there were so many URs. Her speed was better but still not where it should be. The whole program was just so generic, so flat.

I've held out hope for Mirai for so long, but time is running out. This year is critical, and it's passing her by already, without any notable success. There's a lot of parity and so many contenders now on the ladies' side; Mirai needed to do well this season internationally just to keep her name in the ring.

Her FS last season was flat too. The last time I ever saw her truly enjoy herself was at the Vancouver Games.

However, I would stop well short of saying she should consider retirement. You have to remember, she's only 19 at this point. Even if she misses 2014, 2018 would not be out of the question if she wanted to keep going. The only thing that could stop her is a career-ending injury, which may or may not happen.

Thankfully there might be other skaters who may rise to the occasion, so we may not really NEED a prime Nagasu like we did in the past. The ones sticking by her now seem to be mainly her true fans.

Personally, I still won't count her out, but from what I saw at COC, it really depends on if she can clean up those URs. But that wrap on her jumps can't be helping things. I'd probably have her as a Wild Card at this point.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
However, I would stop well short of saying she should consider retirement. You have to remember, she's only 19 at this point. Even if she misses 2014, 2018 would not be out of the question if she wanted to keep going.

You make a good point here. 19 is very young to retire, especially these days.

But if Mirai's going to continue, she needs to rediscover that excitement and joy she had in Vancouver, otherwise it doesn't seem worth it, she's just slogging through. I wonder if taking a year off might help.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Am I the only one that thinks Alissa will withdraw from her GP assignment and basically skate her goodbye at Nationals? Whatever she does, it won't be enough to be second to go to worlds. They are not going to hold her up. Flatt is done, so is she.

No, you're not the only one.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
But if Mirai's going to continue, she needs to rediscover that excitement and joy she had in Vancouver, otherwise it doesn't seem worth it, she's just slogging through. I wonder if taking a year off might help.

If she misses 2014, that means she will have gone 6 years without winning a national championship (assuming she doesn't win this year) and 4 years without making Worlds (if she doesn't win silver this year). I don't think that's a recipe for extending a career beyond 2014.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
If she misses 2014, that means she will have gone 6 years without winning a national championship (assuming she doesn't win this year) and 4 years without making Worlds (if she doesn't win silver this year). I don't think that's a recipe for extending a career beyond 2014.

Well Alissa continued despite being a favorite to make both the 2006 and 2010 Olympic teams and missing them, only winning her first National title in 2009, and not making it to Worlds for the first time in 2007, then not again until 2009. So if she was inspired to continue all these years there's no saying Mirai couldn't do the same.

R.D.

Record Breaker

tell that to Miss Wagner, who, after bombing at 2008 worlds, didn't make it again for 4 years. She was never higher than 3rd at nationals before this year. Heck, she wasn't even on the national podium in 2011!

But Nagasu has to be willing to take risks & embrace the unknown, like Wagner (and Czisny for that matter) did in turning things around. She will need to make a serious move in order to fix her problems and emerge as The Contender.

I thought Mirai did pretty well at Cup of China. She is on track to contend for the silver medal at U.S. Nationals, IMHO.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Well Alissa continued despite being a favorite to make both the 2006 and 2010 Olympic teams and missing them, only winning her first National title in 2009, and not making it to Worlds for the first time in 2007, then not again until 2009. So if she was inspired to continue all these years there's no saying Mirai couldn't do the same.

I see your and RD's point. I just question her motivation and willingness to work hard to get back to somewhere she's already been.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I thought Mirai did pretty well at Cup of China. She is on track to contend for the silver medal at U.S. Nationals, IMHO.

Thing about Nagasu is we won't see her again UNTIL Nationals, so it's tough (for me) to say. Had she been credited with at least a couple more of those jumps, she would have won a medal. Like I said above, I think she's in Wild Card territory. Not too sure what to expect from her.

We'll be seeing Zawadzki's debut in Russia this weekend, along with second showings from Gold and C. Zhang. At least for the latter two we should know what trajectory they're on and folks can begin to think about their early predictions for the Nationals.

FlattFan

Match Penalty

Don't know about 2006, but 2010, she definitely wasn't a factor. Nobody forgot what she did in 2009 W then. Her PCS were terrible the entire season, just to make sure she's not near the podium.

In 2010, the sure bet was Flatt. The other would be either Sasha or Mirai. Ashley was a wild card.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I just question [Nagasu's] motivation and willingness to work hard to get back to somewhere she's already been.

Aha! That's a key difference right there. Wagner and Czisny are motivated, I'm guessing, in part by the Olympics. Neither have been and would like to go. Nagasu, OTOH, has already been to the Olympics and just missed out on a medal- so unless she really wants an Olympic medal in Sochi I can understand perhaps a slight lack of motivation in comparison.

I saw a bit of determination in her at COC, though. I think she'll be fine.

In 2010, the sure bet was Flatt. The other would be either Sasha or Mirai. Ashley was a wild card.

Yes, Flatt was all but a sure thing. But I actually had Wagner and Nagasu as the primary contenders and Cohen as the wild card...

ForeverFish

Medalist
Ashley is definitely the "darling", no questions about it. But what's good about it is she's earned it: she had a good GP run last year, strong nationals, kicked *** at 4CC, strong worlds, strong Japan Open, strong Skate America...she's a strong skater and her record is showing she's a strong competitor. So if by chance she has an off night, which will happen eventually, she's earned the confidence of the federation to get a look-the-other-way pass because they know she's good for it. Additionally, she's earned the respect and favoritism of the international judges which isn't an easy task. She's receiving a significant hike in PCS and GOEs b/c she's one of the favorites and that's not something the USFSA will pass on. That's the reason they sent Alissa to worlds last year b/c even with a few mistakes her favor with the judges would help her out; obviously they weren't expecting the epic sized meltdown she had.

So Ashley's spot is pretty much set. I'd say Gold was the clear 2nd but there a rather large asterisk next to her name now. She's not really proving herself to be a reliable competitor so far this season but she has time to change that. If she has a strong showing at COR and then nationals, she'll more than likely be the first choice for that second spot. However, if by chance Christina has a strong showing at her next event and nationals, or Mirai does well at COC and nationals, I think the decision will be tougher. Christina and Mirai are far better all-around skaters than Gracie is, so it would come down to sending the best overall pick.

I don't see Alissa or Caroline being in the mix. Agnes is a bit of a wildcard too...as far as juniors go, the most promising one is Angela Wang. I seriously doubt they'd send her to senior worlds but she's a lock for junior worlds at this point...she's another great technician like Gracie but she's got a lot of what Gracie lacks in terms of presentation, artistry, interpretation, etc.

Nationals is going to be crazy this year, that's for sure...

You're absolutely correct about Ashley's stellar season last year. It's great that the US has a clear leader now, who can be relied on to turn out clean programs nearly all of the time, and the USFSA wouldn't just give her those benefits :). I'm just wondering how she'll stack up at Nats when the pressure will be on to repeat her first place finish.

Give Gracie some time. She's only been to one major int'l competition as a senior and, as we saw, it wasn't that she lacked the ability. If she can overcome her pre-program jitters, I'm thinking we'll see the same consistent, reliable star who wowed the junior judges; she's still my prediction for that second Worlds spot. I need to watch more of Mirai before I pass judgement on her, but I don't think that Christina is better than Gracie, at all. She lacks both the consistency and the support from the federation, and overall, she possesses very little of a "wow-factor" to set her apart from the rest of the field. Her medal at SA was very, very surprising and hinged mainly on Sotnikova's mistakes.

I would also count out Alissa (injury), Caroline (consistency and general unknownness), and Agnes (same reasons as Caroline), but after Osmond's win at SC, I've been a little more cautious about dismissing skaters. We've yet to see Agnes or Alissa perform at their GP events.

Early, early, early predictions for Nats:

1. Ashley Wagner
2. Gracie Gold or Mirai Nagasu
3. Gracie Gold or Mirai Nagasu
4. Alissa Czisny
5. Christina Gao
6. Caroline Zhang

Last edited: