State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season | Page 24 | Golden Skate

State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
When I was watching Gracie's COR FS, all I could think about was Jeremy Abbott and his gorgeous FS to that music. It was such a shame he wasn't able to put it all together at Nationals that year, because it would have been spectacular. I think Gracie's jumps are good. She just needs more experience and to connect with the music more. I'm still so-so on Agnes. Ashley is the best of the US Ladies at the moment. For her own sake, I hope Alissa can at the very least end her competitive career on a better note than last year's Worlds. I enjoyed Christina at SA and I wish her the best at TEB.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Czizny, Flatt, CaroLINE Zhang and Nagasu all need to retire from competitive skating. This would certainly allow USFS to focus on the future of Ladies' Skating in the US.

I've always been a proponent of skaters staying as long as they have wanted. If these ladies are standing in anyone's way, the up-and-comers need to be able to beat them to be even remotely competitive on an international level.

used2sk8

Rinkside
Check out the scores at Pacific Coast Sectionals...Vanessa Lam moves back in o a contender spot with SP 59.43! Highest of all the Sections Junior or Senior. TES score for both Vanessa and Courtney Hicks beats everyone internationally except maybe Lipnitskya!

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
...can't compare national scores with international ones :think:

I don't see this being a 2008 scenario where a bunch of unknown up-and-comers suddenly rise to the very top all at once...of course, not saying it can't happen.

used2sk8

Rinkside
Technical element scores don't change too much International or Domestic. Components vary drastically! Depends on the flow of the event. In fact PC's are generally lower in Regional or Sectional competitions.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Yeah, there's a pretty significant difference between scoring at Sectionals versus, say, Worlds or even the GP. And Lipnitskaia is scoring 63+ internationally--the highest score for a ladies' SP in the GP so far.

used2sk8

Rinkside
Well Vanessa came back with a 118.30. 2 clean programs with all level 4 spins and StSq added. Up to 177.73...by far the highest qualifier going to Nationals!

Reginald

Match Penalty
...can't compare national scores with international ones :think:

I don't see this being a 2008 scenario where a bunch of unknown up-and-comers suddenly rise to the very top all at once...of course, not saying it can't happen.

I agree. This new generation is noticeably weaker than previous ones.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Is it possible that Gracie can actually qualify for Sochi in 2014 (assuming good health)?

Is it possible that she won't? :) Seriously, I think she is the favorite (at this point) for the Sochi team. She will have another full year to improve and I think next year she will knock Ashley off the top of the podium. Ashley is improving marginally but Gracie has been improving by leaps and bounds.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Well Vanessa came back with a 118.30. 2 clean programs with all level 4 spins and StSq added. Up to 177.73...by far the highest qualifier going to Nationals!

It would be hard to replicate this feat at Nationals. A lot of these smaller competitions have audiences of 40 or so people, whereas Nationals you have a full venue, press, etc. It's a lot for a newcomer to handle.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lam is NOT a newcomer to Nationals---it's her third time! She was 9th at 2012 Nationals and 7th at 2011 Nationals. She may be poised to make a big leap this year. Czisny didn't hit the Nationals podium until her 6th try.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Is it possible that she won't? :) Seriously, I think she is the favorite (at this point) for the Sochi team. She will have another full year to improve and I think next year she will knock Ashley off the top of the podium. Ashley is improving marginally but Gracie has been improving by leaps and bounds.

I gotta disagree with you there.

Ashley is the clear favorite right now and deservedly so. She's earned it. Ashley's the most complete skater the US has in terms of jumps, spins, artistry, consistency and judges' favor. No one is on her level as of right now...internationally, she's set the bar this season and no one has reached it yet. That's a HUGE deal.

Gracie started off poorly, rebounded well at COR but she's far from a sure thing at this point. It remains to be seen if she can build momentum from competition to competition on a consistent basis. Besides, when Gracie's jumps are off the rest of her skating is very bland. She's improving but if you judge her strictly on the in-between and non-jump elements, she's far below the leaders of the pack. Good news for her is she has time b/w now and Sochi to develop a style and learn how to perform.

Front-runner? Yes. Favorite? Not yet.

The one people need to watch out for is Angela Wang. She has the difficulty (clean technique, gorgeous jumps, speed, etc.) but she also has beautiful programs and performs them with maturity. She hasn't had all the hype surrounding her the way Gracie did which is unfortunate b/c she doesn't get the "known skater" benefit in scoring so even if she kicks butt at nationals it won't matter b/c the judges won't give her the scores she deserves.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Czisny has officially pulled out of NHK, but claims she'll be prepared for nationals in January (per Phil hersh on Twitter)

That outlook may be a bit optimistic- anyway, it's looking like Nationals could very well be her first competition of the season. I don't imagine she'll be a frontrunner or perhaps even a contender (depends on what shape she shows up in, of course).

ETA: and hopefully the judges don't inflate her scores. Yes, I know, too much to ask.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I gotta disagree with you there.

Ashley is the clear favorite right now and deservedly so. She's earned it. Ashley's the most complete skater the US has in terms of jumps, spins, artistry, consistency and judges' favor. No one is on her level as of right now...internationally, she's set the bar this season and no one has reached it yet. That's a HUGE deal.

Gracie started off poorly, rebounded well at COR but she's far from a sure thing at this point. It remains to be seen if she can build momentum from competition to competition on a consistent basis. Besides, when Gracie's jumps are off the rest of her skating is very bland. She's improving but if you judge her strictly on the in-between and non-jump elements, she's far below the leaders of the pack. Good news for her is she has time b/w now and Sochi to develop a style and learn how to perform.

Front-runner? Yes. Favorite? Not yet.

The one people need to watch out for is Angela Wang. She has the difficulty (clean technique, gorgeous jumps, speed, etc.) but she also has beautiful programs and performs them with maturity. She hasn't had all the hype surrounding her the way Gracie did which is unfortunate b/c she doesn't get the "known skater" benefit in scoring so even if she kicks butt at nationals it won't matter b/c the judges won't give her the scores she deserves.

If Angela Wang does well at JGPF and medals -- she will get that "known skater" status.

I like Angela a lot, but it makes sense to me why she hasn't gotten the buzz that Gracie has. I think she's turning the tide this fall with a great performance at her last JGP, but in the past she buried herself in the SP to the point where even a stellar performance couldn't get her out. At last year's nationals she finished 6th in the FS (with the highest TES out of everyone) after finishing 16th out of 20 in the SP.

But crossed fingers --it seems that she is changing in that regard, so I think she can easily get in the top six, even perhaps sneak in there for pewter if she skates lights out.

Country
Russia
Gracie started off poorly, rebounded well at COR but she's far from a sure thing at this point.

Her "good rebound" is only if comparing with other internationals - WTT, GP Skate Canada. Four triples in FS at Moscow - is it level of best jumper in USA? (she was best US jumper in Tallin, Junior Nationals, Junior Worlds past season)

Country
Russia
I like Angela a lot, but it makes sense to me why she hasn't gotten the buzz that Gracie has. I think she's turning the tide this fall with a great performance at her last JGP, but in the past she buried herself in the SP to the point where even a stellar performance couldn't get her out. At last year's nationals she finished 6th in the FS (with the highest TES out of everyone) after finishing 16th out of 20 in the SP.
What has Angela Wang in past? 8th place at Nationals, 3rd place at JGP USA (both with not so excellent skating) and 1st place at JGP Croatia. She must prove that she is a good skater.

What had Gracie Gold? Very good results and skating at JGP Tallin, Junior Nationals, Junior Worlds.