Page 26 of 77 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 76 ... LastLast

Thread: State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    This is not the World Championships, though. Czisny may be taking up a spot that could go to someone else if she is still injured and incapable of performing well- but GP placements don't really matter much in the end. She would not be the liability she was when she went to Worlds.

I don't think a monitoring session is necessary here. She's either ready or not; if it's the latter, she WDs, or she goes and bombs and that's the end of it. She'd only be hurting herself in the end.
    This. This is not the world championships and furthermore Czisny's withdraw might or might not benefit the US (i.e. the spot is not certain to go to a US Skater). Furthermore, Czisny 'earned' the spot according to the current GP rules. I don't think the USFSA has much if anything to do with if she should give up her spot, much less if she must.

I think if Alyssa is not in good form it would be the decent and correct thing to do to withdraw, both for her sake and for everyone else's. However, ultimately, I do not see how this is even remotely the USFSA's call.

Custom Title
    I think it's not right for anyone to expect Alyssa to bow out if she feels she has even the slightest chance to compete successfully. Whether she's in good form or not you would hope her coaches are being realistic with her. I personally think Alyssa should have retired after Nats last year. She's had a few bright moments in her career and alot of lows. She's not getting any younger and she's coming back from surgery. It's certainly an uphill battle for her. I just really don't want to watch another performance like her LP at Nats. That was painful.

Custom Title
    Didn't Alyssa get silver at Nationals last year? She was overscored, probably deserved pewter, but it wasn't that bad.

Down With It
    New Wagner blog up on ESPNW:

http://espn.go.com/espnw/blog/post/2...tart-my-season

Some interesting insight from her (particularly viewing from a non-skating perspective):

Normally the short program is a nice way to ease into the competition. I wasn’t sure how to feel, or whether to approach it in my mind as a show performance or a competition. When I perform in shows, it’s all about giving the audience what they want. In competition, although I want the audience to enjoy it, the judges are the priority. So this was a hybrid of both: You had one and only one shot to get the audience and the judges into it.

Just getting out there and dealing with some pressure was the first step to building my confidence for the rest of the season. There’s no way to simulate in practice how I’m going to feel skating in front of all those eyes. I have a love-hate relationship with performing. Right before I step onto the ice I think, “Why am I doing this? This is awful!” But as soon as the music comes on, the feeling of everyone watching me gives me a huge adrenaline rush and I just want to show off.
    Her next event will be Cup of France next week.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    I enjoyed this bit about her schooling:

In the meantime I’m also staying busy taking a journalism class at a local college. Learning the AP style format and everything else is sometimes stressful and confusing, but I really enjoy school. I think it’s a good way of making sure my brain doesn’t go to mush with all this skating!
    I will note that her reference to the location of Skate America was in correct AP style!

After my win in Japan I came back to the U.S. for Skate America, in Kent, Wash.
    I'm make my living writing for newspapers, so I always love an excuse to show of my AP Style nerdom!
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 11-08-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Down With It
    Apparently Wagner also now has a Nike endorsement, per one of her tweets. We might see more of this as the Sochi Olympics near.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    Ashley is one of those rare skaters who usually adds choreography and transitions to a program as a season goes on ....
    And Wagner's espnW blog today discusses this point too:

I usually tiptoe my way into the program over the course of the season. The first couple of times it’s just the skeleton, very raw and not completely refined. As the season goes on, my coach and I add more choreography, ramp up the difficult jumps and add more complexity. And then it’s just repetition and practice, going over different sections again and again until they're as close to perfect as I can get them.

Next it’s off to Paris for my second Grand Prix, the Trophée Eric Bompard in mid-November. It’s going to be a tough competition with a bunch of younger Russian skaters, and I’m going to have to be really strong. I’m working on adding a triple-triple combo to my short and long programs, and I feel like if I can get that in both it will make me competitive against these girls. I have a lot of work ahead of me, though.

Miserere Nobis
    Article written by Chicago Tribune's Olympic columnist Philip Hersh regarding this season's Worlds spots:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...agnes-zawadzki

"If Gao can skate as well again at her second Grand Prix event 2 ½ weeks from now in Paris, she becomes the favorite to win the second spot on this season’s world team."

You've gotta be kidding. This is the worst attempt at predictions I've yet seen. If Gao, who has failed to demonstrate any consistency until this season, gets that second Worlds spot, then I really will have something to say about the state of the American ladies.

Down With It
    Gao might actually have a shot at the GPF if that happens (depends on how the Russians do).

But don't hold your breath...

I don't see anything outrageous about the quote from Hersh. Remember he said "if."

If Christina nails it again in her second GP event and no one else steps up alongside her, why wouldn't she have a shot at the nationals podium?

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I don't see anything outrageous about the quote from Hersh. Remember he said "if."

If Christina nails it again in her second GP event and no one else steps up alongside her, why wouldn't she have a shot at the nationals podium?
    She has a near-certain shot at the Nats podium, to be sure. What I'm questioning is whether or not she is the best choice for the Worlds team, and there I disagree with him although she is in a very good position to make the GPF.

Well, the world team is not exactly a "choice." If Gao gets silver at nationals, she goes.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Well, the world team is not exactly a "choice." If Gao gets silver at nationals, she goes.
    Silver is debatable. I had her more in bronze/pewter territory, but we'll see.

Interm of favorites, Alissa has been the judges favorite for her beauty, line, elegance, SS. I have not read this long thread since the beginning or at least a while. I don't recall Agnes' programs or if she has done a GP. What are her chances of being on podium? If Gao skates great and zhang skates great, will they give a higher placement to Gao, or do they see her as another rachel, just finishing her am career and gone off to college. It seems to be the judges avor those who work full time at skating. Gao's skating was luck, and can she repeat given her course load?

Number 2 spot is undecided. How I wish Gold had proven how good she is at her GP. I guess she has 1 more chance on the circuit.

Custom Title
    All I have to say is WOW about... Agnes! She has gotten so much better since I last saw her. Her SP at COR was so good today, the entrance into the 3Z is so difficult and her +GOE in every element was well deserved. I would have liked to see her PCS higher but if she keeps skating like this that mark will come up substantially. It would not surprise me a bit to see her on the podium at nationals.

Page 26 of 77 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 76 ... LastLast