Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Interestingly, Evan Lysacek, another of Frank Carroll's former skaters, while forced to do Skate America after being US Champion, had CoC as his second event in 2007 & 2009, and I wonder whether this was a Frank Carroll "strategery".
    I, admittedly, have not been following Evan's comeback too closely, but... he's not staying with Frank?!

Custom Title
    RD, did any junior girls move to senior and are any of them worth bothering over? I tried to watch the Junior GPs but I find myself slee-zzzzzzzz

What happened to Christina Gao? Does she have a GP this season or has she completely moved on to college?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Not so. In the US, the top person at US Nationals gets the top spot at Skate America, where they are feted as the US reigning champion.

Mirai got it the year she was US Champion (2008).

Now if your name was Rudy Galindo ...you have a point. In 1996, Rudy was US Champion and world bronze medallist in his first try at Worlds--and he didn't get Skate America, which he says is why he retired, in part. Of course, Todd Eldredge was world champion but not US champion in the 1996 season, but that was still the custom that the champion got the spot however he finished at worlds

The second & third slots at US Nationals are usually reserved for skaters who did not do well enough at Worlds to get one or 2 slots somewhere else. or are exciting up and comers, making their senior debut (think Gracie Gold this year) Rachael got Skate America in 2009 GP season because she was the reigning Junior World Champion, and got the "up & coming" slot.

In 2010 she got Skate America, because she was the reigning US champion.

This year she got it because she needed it & and because the rules changed so that up and comers who are of the correct age for Jr Worlds, who think they can make Jr. Worlds team but not the senior Worlds team, have to compete on the JGP, not the GP. This includes all girls too young for Senior Worlds in any case.

All the US seniors ahead of Rachael already have 2 slots. Mirai already has one slot. The girls down to 12th are all on the JGP. Consequently, the choice is, does Mirai get a 2nd slot, or does Rachael get a first one?

And because she didn't earn a world or 4CC's berth last year and needs the TES values to qualify for worlds, if in fact, she (very unlikely) made the US Worlds team this year, Rachael got the slot. If she isn't ready to go, USFS will probably give Mirai Rachael's spot, but that would be a week or two down the road when that choice would need to be made.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 09-23-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Christina Gao has 2 GP's.
    So do Caroline, Ashley & Gracie Gold. Alissa is injured.

The girls on the JGP (who have already competed) can't go to Sr. Worlds under the current rules.

There are a tiny group of girls slated for JGP who haven't yet competed.

In order to compete at Worlds, Europeans, Four Continents or the Olympics, skaters must be 15 before July 1 of the preceding year
    (which would be July 1 of this year)

Polina Edmunds who I think is too young for senior Worlds?, and would presumably like to go to Jr Worlds anyway.

Mariah Bell, Barbie Long & Yasmin Siraj
    Bell & Long competed, but did not medal at US Juniors last year. Siraj was 15th in seniors.

So we really don't have a Gracie Gold in the wings this year, unless you count Polina Edmunds. And I think she's still 14; not old enough for 2013 Worlds. Could be wrong tho. I can't find a bio for her.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 09-23-2012 at 05:35 PM.

Not so. In the US, the top person at US Nationals gets the top spot at Skate America, where they are feted as the US reigning champion.

Mirai got it the year she was US Champion (2008).

Now if your name was Rudy Galindo ...you have a point. In 1996, Rudy was US Champion and world bronze medallist in his first try at Worlds--and he didn't get Skate America, which he says is why he retired, in part. Of course, Todd Eldredge was world champion but not US champion in the 1996 season, but that was still the custom that the champion got the spot however he finished at worlds

The second & third slots at US Nationals are usually reserved for skaters who did not do well enough at Worlds to get one or 2 slots somewhere else. or are exciting up and comers, making their senior debut (think Gracie Gold this year) Rachael got Skate America in 2009 GP season because she was the reigning Junior World Champion, and got the "up & coming" slot.

In 2010 she got Skate America, because she was the reigning US champion.

This year she got it because she needed it & and because the rules changed so that up and comers who are of the correct age for Jr Worlds, who think they can make Jr. Worlds team but not the senior Worlds team, have to compete on the JGP, not the GP. This includes all girls too young for Senior Worlds in any case.

All the US seniors ahead of Rachael already have 2 slots. Mirai already has one slot. The girls down to 12th are all on the JGP. Consequently, the choice is, does Mirai get a 2nd slot, or does Rachael get a first one?

And because she didn't earn a world or 4CC's berth last year and needs the TES values to qualify for worlds, if in fact, she (very unlikely) made the US Worlds team this year, Rachael got the slot. If she isn't ready to go, USFS will probably give Mirai Rachael's spot, but that would be several a week or two down the road when that choice would need to be made.
    Thanks for the explanation.

But you did not really address why Rachael got SA four out of the last five years and Mirai only once.

How can I think it is anything other than US Skating propping up what they see as "the great white hope."

Custom Title
    So Gracie Gold gets a Skate America slot over Mirai?
    2009 Rachael was up & coming but not Mirai?
    and this is fair?

all rightie then

Christina Gao has 2 GP's.
    So do Caroline, Ashley & Gracie Gold. Alissa is injured.
    I happen to like Christina Gao - but what has she ever accomplished on the ice compared to Mirai?

Custom Title
    She looks a bit like Yuna Kim

Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    She looks a bit like Yuna Kim
    Maybe that is why I always liked her Just kidding but I do think Christina is a very pretty girl with some nice jumps!

That and I read she got a perfect score on her math SAT's

She is also going to Harvard ...which I prefer any day of the week and twice on Sunday's over Stanford.

But we can be sure there will be nothing approaching the non-stop gushing we heard about Flatt going to Stanford regarding Christina and Harvard.

That's just the way it goes sometimes.....
    Last edited by janetfan; 09-23-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Down With It
    Alissa is injured.
    Via Twitter, Czisny is back on the ice. Not sure what level she is performing at, but she has recovered enough to begin skating again.

RD, did any junior girls move to senior and are any of them worth bothering over? I tried to watch the Junior GPs but I find myself slee-zzzzzzzz
    Honestly, I don't keep up with junior ladies. That sounds like a question for Sylvia.

But...I do know that Courtney Hicks has returned (she was out last season with a broken leg) and is on the JGP. I think she will be skating senior at 2013 Nationals. She may possibly be one to keep an eye on moving forward.
    Last edited by R.D.; 09-23-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Once in a while the U.S. Champion does not want Skate America. Johnny Weir opted out after each of his three national titles because Skate America came too early in the season. He went to three Cup of Russia events instead (his favorite country anyway).

Alissa went to Skate Canada -- her lucky charm -- in the season after her first U.S. title. I am not sure if she requested Skate America or not that year.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Via Twitter, Czisny is back on the ice. Not sure what level she is performing at, but she has recovered enough to begin skating again.

Honestly, I don't keep up with junior ladies. That sounds like a question for Sylvia.

I think we heard Alissa was back on the ice a couple of days after Champs camp and that she is hoping to do a GP (later in the season).

If it is working out for her there is a chance she will be at Natls.

About juniors...Leah Keiser just won Gold this week at the JGP in Turley and landed all kinds of triples and 3x3.

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlRuLi7w108

Custom Title
    Good news: I don't think there will be non-gushing over Gao's choice to go to Harvard
    Bad news: mostly because no one expected very much of her anyway

Does Alissa need to do an international event to get a qualifying score for worlds, should she make the team?

Custom Title
    To put a different spin, (just for the sake of discussion)

Mirai may like Cup of China for the same reason Bobrova & Soloviev seem to like it: China's 3 ladies (and 3 ice dancers) are no competition. A lady or ice dancer wanting to medal and/or make GPF, would prefer it to SA, CoR, NHK. The events with a shallow ladies field for the host fed are CoC, TEB, and Skate Canada. So there's a pattern beginning to show. The Chinese men are on the weaker side in many years, too.

Plus Mirai still has relatives in Japan. While it is a long side trip from China to Japan, it's a lot shorter than California to Japan, so she can achieve two goals with one move.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00010220.htm

Her bio

2008 NHK & Skate America
    2009 CoC & Skate Canada
    2010 CoC & TEB
    2011 TEB & Skate Canada
    2012 CoC
    The flight is shorter from China to Japan and longer from California to Japan. In 2011, Mirai was at SCanada and CoC.

I had thought about the weaker field at different events, but China's ladies are on the upswing with Kexin Zhang and Zijun Li.
    OTOH, the event can have all the strongest skaters such as TEB or rather the Trophee Die Bombard. With the french ladies as no competition, some of the strongest lady competitors have been there. I actually think that ISU did a very good job of balancing out the fields this year.

Mirai still deserves a 2nd GP. =3=

Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 ... LastLast