State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season | Page 33 | Golden Skate

State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season

Layfan

Record Breaker
Interesting point from a new Yu-Na article posted in another thread:

"In Kim's absence this season, no female skater has emerged as a serious threat to the South Korean. In six Grand Prix events, Ashley Wagner of the U.S. was the only skater to score more than 190 points in total. In her previous seasons, Kim routinely topped 190 points and surpassed 200 points three times."

Ashley has certainly had an excellent season so far, but this reminds us that it's a bit early to anoint her the favorite for Worlds.

:unsure:

Obviously, whoever wrote that is assuming that Kim will be back to her old self. Perhaps, and I'm rooting for her. But it's hardly a sure thing.

It's true that no lady out there today matches the Kim that won Olympic gold. But will Kim be that Kim?

Comebacks are hard.

Reginald

Match Penalty
I think that Ashley Wagner is the real deal. I have watched the young ladies skaters over the years, and she is one who has shown absolute unbeatability. (But then again, she was looking unbeatable in February and she finished 4th at worlds.)
My dream team for Sochi would be Ashley Wagner, Mirai Nagasu, and Caroline Zhang.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I only hope Wagner is not peaking too soon...last year she peaked at 4CC, one event too soon.

Czisny was fine in 2010 before things fell apart for her when she tried to up the technical content. Injury aside, it made her shaky again. That's the tradeoff Wagner will want to think about as we hit mid-season. I think it's a necessary risk (given her goals/ambitions), but it is a risk nonetheless.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I only hope Wagner is not peaking too soon...last year she peaked at 4CC, one event too soon.

I think saying she peaked too early overly simplifies a complicated situation. There is more pressure at Worlds, she didn't do well the first time she skated there, etc. So many factors are in play that I think when she peaked played little to no role as to why she didn't skate as well at Worlds than she did at a less important competition.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Point taken- but consider this: she actually fell on a 2A in the short program at World Team trophy afterward (a lesser pressure event than worlds)...at worlds she botched a 3-3 attempt...I think up to that point she was actually gaining good consistency in the SP. Luckily she is blessed to be a strong freeskater, if she keeps this up and gets the SP under control she will be really hard to beat.

I think peaking DOES play a factor - and a bigger one than many fans think.

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
I think saying she peaked too early overly simplifies a complicated situation. There is more pressure at Worlds, she didn't do well the first time she skated there, etc. So many factors are in play that I think when she peaked played little to no role as to why she didn't skate as well at Worlds than she did at a less important competition.
I agree with you. "Peaking" mankes no sense at all in her case, as far as last year's performances. If she would be out of form or tired, it would makes sense. But she completely nailed her LP there, and she was just tight in her SP.

mskater93

Record Breaker
But that is what leads to injury. There's been a lot of research done on training methods, year long training plans, etc. You have to plan when you peak, you can be "strong" but not peaking throughout the season. I believe she planned her peak at Nationals last year and because 4CC was a week later (or so) she was still at that peak.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I believe she planned her peak at Nationals last year and because 4CC was a week later (or so) she was still at that peak.

Is this based on something she said (that she intended to peak at Nationals but not Worlds) or speculation? Just because a skater performs better at one event over another doesn't mean they peaked, or event attempted to peak, at a different event. I'm sure Kwan intended to peak at the two Olympics where she was a favorite. I doubt there was anything she could have changed with her training; the Olympics involve an entirely different level of pressure and scrutiny. As herios said, she skated really well at Worlds also but just made one of her typical SP errors there.

Reginald

Match Penalty
That was not the first time Wagner had skated at Worlds. She was at worlds in 2008.

herios

Medalist
But that is what leads to injury. There's been a lot of research done on training methods, year long training plans, etc. You have to plan when you peak, you can be "strong" but not peaking throughout the season. I believe she planned her peak at Nationals last year and because 4CC was a week later (or so) she was still at that peak.

I personally am not buying into the "peaking" notion in figure skating. Some skaters are consistent and strong, others are inconsistent. Others consistently "weak".

Reginald

Match Penalty
May I add that Christina Gao is the most beautiful US Ladies figure skater to ever have strapped on a pair of skates.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Wagner looks great at GPF, just half a point behind Asada after the SP. Gao is in sixth...from what I understand, she fell on a planned 3-3 and thus buried herself. It looks like a close race between Wagner and Asada for gold.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Unfortunately Wagner had a bit of an uncharacteristic result in the FS as I heard she fell twice. So there you go, nobody is unbeatable. And she's not a lock for a repeat Nationals title by ANY means...

Nadia01

Final Flight
:unsure:

Obviously, whoever wrote that is assuming that Kim will be back to her old self. Perhaps, and I'm rooting for her. But it's hardly a sure thing.

It's true that no lady out there today matches the Kim that won Olympic gold. But will Kim be that Kim?

Comebacks are hard.

Kim just proved that she came back in her old self. She landed 3Lz/3T, 3F & 2A in her short. Level 3 on all spins & step. Received 72.27, the highest score for ladies this season, I believe. That program's going to get better as Kim works on her spins & step.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Unfortunately Wagner had a bit of an uncharacteristic result in the FS as I heard she fell twice. So there you go, nobody is unbeatable. And she's not a lock for a repeat Nationals title by ANY means...

Her second fall was VERY bad. She fell forward, splat on her pelvis, it looked like. I thought she was going to WD b/c she was visibly wincing. I hope she isn't injured b/c she kept massaging the spot after it was over & she seemed to be limping a bit.