State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season | Page 52 | Golden Skate

State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season

R.D.

Record Breaker
Back on the topic -

Gold was quoted saying she was shooting for top 10 at the Worlds.

Gold's 4CC score would have placed her 6th at Worlds last year and 9th in 2011.

Make of that what you will.

roundboypete

Rinkside
Back on the topic -

Gold 10, Wagner 3: How the U.S. of A. got their three spots back.

(To the tune of "Dance 10, Looks 3" from Chorus Line.)

Grace… and Ash!
We got ourselves a fancy pair!
The other gals ain’t got a prayer!
No more woes for us
Lots of GOEs for us,

Grace…and Ash!
You can’t deny that they got class!
All the others they’ll surpass!
Ice-side seats or balcony,
What they want is what you see,

Grace…and Ash!
Where the cupboard once was pair,
Now you knock, there’s someone there!
Now we got ‘em,
We’re off the bottom,

Yes, Grace and Ash have changed…our….lives!!

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Gold 10, Wagner 3: How the U.S. of A. got their three spots back.

Grace… and Ash!
We got ourselves a fancy pair!
The other gals ain’t got a prayer!
No more woes for us
Lots of GOEs for us,

Grace…and Ash!
You can’t deny that they got class!
All the others they’ll surpass!
Ice-side seats or balcony,
What they want is what you see,

Grace…and Ash!
Where the cupboard once was pair,
Now you knock, there’s someone there!
Now we got ‘em,
We’re off the bottom,

Yes, Grace and Ash have changed…our….lives!!

Aw, cute. :)

willdu

On the Ice
Back on the topic -

Touche but those field IMHO were substantially weaker than this pre olympic year. Yuna is back in 85-90% form. Mao just showed she has the goods again. Kostner is hoping to repeat. You have a strong japanese showing at 4CC and the russian babies at Euros. It's a packed year. I'm excited.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
(Briefly, since this thread is about AMERICAN women) I see Osmond as Canada's version of Gracie Gold. Both Osmond and Gold can place top 5, but they must be ON. Both have showed great potential but both have shown signs of cracking under the pressure their respective feds place on them.

To speak frankly, Gracie is better and ,besides that, she is in a better position at Worlds. I don't get the hype about Kaetlyn...Her scores at Nationals were :disagree: Even if she is clean, I doubt she'll get more than 125 for free program.
Gold's ceiling is higher this year. If she is on.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
To speak frankly, Gracie is better and ,besides that, she is in a better position at Worlds. I don't get the hype about Kaetlyn...Her scores at Nationals were :disagree: Even if she is clean, I doubt she'll get more than 125 for free program.
Gold's ceiling is higher this year. If she is on.

To be honest, I doubt if Gracie could get higher than 125 internationally either. I seriously doubt she'll see numbers like she saw at nationals unless she replicates her FS from nationals. It'd be great if I'm wrong, but even if she does replicate that performance that program and her level of performance is not worth 130+. She's a wonderful jumper but the rest of her skating is nothing special.

mskater93

Record Breaker
She lost ~ 22 points total on TES at 4C versus clean (and that doesn't include +GOE, just what it would take to get to 0 GOE on the elements she messed up), ~ 3 in the SP and ~ 19 in the LP. She scored a 106 in the LP here, add in the 19 points for the TES (not including increased GOE) and she scores 125 in the LP (and likely more - she would probably get +GOE on the 3Lz+3T and +GOE on the second 3Lz that I don't factor in my lossage to the TES). Also, if she's clean or near-clean, her PCS will rise a couple points for "difficult program bonus" (don't argue against this point AT ALL - I will point to Kevin Reynold's 80 PCS at 4C as proof that there seems to be a difficult program bonus as he is NOT an 80 skater, even with the improvements he's made this season).

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
a clean program wil definitely give her higher PCS
look at Tuk 58+ pcs went to 60+ pcs in LP at Euros

Icey

Record Breaker
Back on the topic -

Those must have been really bad worlds!!!!:)
Since Gao outscored Gold both in tes and pcs at 4CC, where would she have placed at Worlds last year and 2011? Gold is going to Worlds. of course, so doesn't matter but just interested. Really surprised that those scores would have placed so high.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
International judges have showed they will give Gracie a big score if she skates clean like in the SP at the COR. She just needs to give them a reason to score her big since most of her international skates this season have been poor. Even with her weak presentations skills at this time judges love a skater who doesn't water down their jumps and has tons of speed also.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Yes, I do believe Gracie will get big scores internationally once she skates clean. International judges are very aware of what goes on at ladies' U.S. Nationals. They know what Gracie did in the LP at Nationals, what she did as a junior, and what her potential is.

ForeverFish

Medalist
International judges have showed they will give Gracie a big score if she skates clean like in the SP at the COR. She just needs to give them a reason to score her big since most of her international skates this season have been poor. Even with her weak presentations skills at this time judges love a skater who doesn't water down their jumps and has tons of speed also.

ITA. To quote the British EuroSport announcers: "[Gracie] can do the lutz in practice at 90 miles per hour with her arms above her head." If she skated competitions as well as practices, she'd be in the top 5 almost anywhere.

If Christina can go from a virtual no-factor to a contender on the international stage in less than a year, then Gracie can have her nerves fixed by next season.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Those must have been really bad worlds!!!!:)
Since Gao outscored Gold both in tes and pcs at 4CC, where would she have placed at Worlds last year and 2011? Gold is going to Worlds. of course, so doesn't matter but just interested. Really surprised that those scores would have placed so high.

Gao would have placed 5th at 2012 Worlds and 6th at 2011 Worlds.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Gracie can definitely score huge, no doubt about it. However, you have to take into account who will be at worlds. People sometimes forget to note that scores are based on or at least influenced by the level of competition at an event. If Gracie skates cleanly at worlds a la her FS at nationals, does anyone think the judges will place her above Yu-Na, Mao or Carolina if they manage to skate halfway decently? Don't forget to take into account the fact that this is Gracie's first trip to worlds. The judges know about her but she hasn't earned much international credit this year based off of her results. She has a silver medal at COR and two finishes out of the top 5 at her other international events (SC and 4CC).

Based on the level of competition and her results coming in, I don't think the judges would score Gracie higher than any of the top 3 and even if they did, I doubt if they'd give her the win unless Yu-Na, Mao and Carolina all had terrible nights.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Gracie can definitely score huge, no doubt about it. However, you have to take into account who will be at worlds. People sometimes forget to note that scores are based on or at least influenced by the level of competition at an event. If Gracie skates cleanly at worlds a la her FS at nationals, does anyone think the judges will place her above Yu-Na, Mao or Carolina if they manage to skate halfway decently?

I think that a good skate from any of those three skaters is likely to average 0.5 to 1.5 higher in each program component than a good skate from Gold, more because of the level of their skating and presentation than because of their reputations.

Kim and Kostner are also capable of earning comparable GOEs on their jumps, and Asada can earn big points on her jumps if she rotates triple axels and otherwise skates clean.

So I agree that it's unlikely that Gold would outscore those particular skaters if they skate well, mostly because they would deserve a lead on PCS that Gold can't make up on TES if they also do their jumps, spins, and steps well.

Most of the rest of the field she has the potential to make up the difference with her jumps, so a top-5 finish is possible IF she skates well. But that depends on who skates close to their best and who doesn't. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No one expects Gracie to medal even if she's clean in both the SP and the LP program. However she will beat the likes of Murakami, Korpi and perhaps even Wagner.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
No one expects Gracie to medal even if she's clean in both the SP and the LP program. However she will beat the likes of Murakami, Korpi and perhaps even Wagner.

...assuming she can deliver. Last time I checked she hasn't beaten Ashley or Kiira, and Kanako has beaten Gracie 2 of the 3 times they met.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
...assuming she can deliver. Last time I checked she hasn't beaten Ashley or Kiira, and Kanako has beaten Gracie 2 of the 3 times they met.

I think that's exactly what Jammers meant by "if she's clean."

Icey, yes, the last couple worlds weren't that great for the ladies, which is why this year is so brutal.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I think that's exactly what Jammers meant by "if she's clean."

Icey, yes, the last couple worlds weren't that great for the ladies, which is why this year is so brutal.

If they are clean, too? Why assume one really inconsistent girl clean, and not the others who are less inconsistent?
That's so silly. The other girls are capable of beating her if they are clean and she's clean. Kiira is planning 7 triples LP herself.

louisa05

Final Flight
I Going to worlds not winning the lp at her own nationals does not bode well.

Evan Lysacek, Tara Lipinski, and Sarah Hughes all went to the Olympics without winning Nationals at all, never mind just the free skate. And they all won gold. Sasha Cohen beat Kwan at Worlds twice (silver medals in 2004 and 2005) after losing to her at Nationals.

I think Nationals standings are only relevant to get you to Worlds. What you do there is unrelated. And as others have pointed out, Ashley was not 100% at Nationals. She is a fierce competitor and not likely to show up at Worlds preoccupied with Nationals results.