Page 54 of 77 FirstFirst ... 4 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast

Thread: State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season

Custom Title
    Why so secretive about the lp music?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Why so secretive about the lp music?
    Yes--what is the point of that? Unless she's skating to Samson & Delilah. :-)

Custom Title
    I'm looking forward to nationals and wish all the competitors the very best - nothing like skating your best, regardless of placements, at a big event like this! And I especially hope that AC can skate a skate she is proud of. I don't know why, but I find the secrecy about her LP just makes her return to competition more exciting...

Custom Title
    Well, Alissa has done "swans" four times, so I guess that can be eliminated.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    I don't know why, but I find the secrecy about her LP just makes her return to competition more exciting...
    I would be excited if there were any indication that her new LP was a departure from the type of music she always skates to.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I would be excited if there were any indication that her new LP was a departure from the type of music she always skates to.
    My money's on an orchestral arrangement of Rihanna's new song Birthday Cake.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post
    My money's on an orchestral arrangement of Rihanna's new song Birthday Cake.

Down With It
    NEW QUOTES

USFS has held some teleconferences - one with Ashley Wagner and one just now with Gracie Gold. Relevant tweets from USFS regarding both of them:

Wagner

"Since the GPF I have been able to give myself a break. My season has been great, but I wanted to give myself a break"

She is "feeling great" now despite a "hip pointer" she suffered in a fall in Sochi at the Grand Prix Final.

Wants to continue to build upon a great season by defending her title. She's "hungry for gold" in Omaha.

Is non-committal on Triple-Triple. Says that Mr. Nicks calls the shots on 'Skating smart' and they'll decide in Omaha.

Gold

"My training has been going very well. I have made a few changes to my FS. I have been skating very well and I am excited" -

Said she took the disappointment of Skate Canada and put that into her training to excel at the Rostelecom Cup in Russia (2nd)

Went to Canton, Mich. to work with Marina Zoueva as well as skate with the best ice dancers in the world.

There might be more later, but this info might be good stuff for you predictors out there

Down With It
    My own thoughts:

Wagner- There are pros and cons to doing the 3-3, and not doing the 3-3. She's eventually going to need it at worlds, so she can add it in and try to get it consistent in competition...or just stick with the 3-2 until she really needs it, then go for broke at worlds- might be able to pace herself better like that (but higher risk of botching it under pressure). Like I mentioned, pros and cons to both approaches. Personally, I would advise her to go for it (assuming she is consistent enough in practice, of course) - because I think she can mess up and still have a good shot (assuming no other mistakes), unlike at Worlds or even 4CC.

Gold- A bunch of nothing said above...except it was reported that she is modifying her FS jump layout- instead of 3F-3S seq she is replacing it with a standard 2A/3T. (final jump being 3S) We'll have to see which Gold shows up at Nats- the SC one, or the COR one. The COR one has a nice shot at the 2nd spot- the SC one might even leave room for one of the other up-and-comers to grab the spotlight.

With the revolving door of US skaters over the past 8 years, why does everybody assume that Wagner will win?

I've heard similar things said about other skaters and they ended up falling from grace.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    With the revolving door of US skaters over the past 8 years, why does everybody assume that Wagner will win?
    Precisely...

I suppose it's easy to pick the favorite...but we also must remember that history will NOT be on Wagner's side here.

The key for Wagner will really be to avoid "skating not to lose". Because no other method is going to lose her the title more quickly (apart from pulling a Czisny)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post

I've heard similar things said about other skaters and they ended up falling from grace.
    a) Wagner at her best is the equal to or better than any other American skater at her best. Would you really say that about Czisny (twice), Flatt, Nagasu or Meissner heading into their title defense years?

b) Wagner isn't really a flash in the pan. She's a journeywoman, really, who's worked extremely hard at becoming a top/2nd tier skater (pick your preference). More than most other skaters, it seems like she's got the psychological make-up to be and stay a champion.

c) She thrives on pressure. Name the last American champion that you truly believed that of?

d) Her worst result this season is better than any other American's best result.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    d) Her worst result this season is better than any other American's best result.
    This speaks volumes, and she had a pretty bad LP at the GPF. I now think she shouldn't go for the 3-3 at Nationals because I think it's more important that she wins and goes into 4CC and Worlds as the top American, rather than risk making an error. 4CC would be a good place to try it because she will have some stiff competition and 4CC isn't that prestigious of a competition.

Down With It
    Then, the question remains whether she should go to 4CC in the first place (it's in Asia)...don't be shocked if, like Czisny last year, Wagner is not named (although it's possible they may still give her the option)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    a) Wagner at her best is the equal to or better than any other American skater at her best. Would you really say that about Czisny (twice), Flatt, Nagasu or Meissner heading into their title defense years?

b) Wagner isn't really a flash in the pan. She's a journeywoman, really, who's worked extremely hard at becoming a top/2nd tier skater (pick your preference). More than most other skaters, it seems like she's got the psychological make-up to be and stay a champion.

c) She thrives on pressure. Name the last American champion that you truly believed that of?

Exactly. While anything is possible, Wagner losing her U.S title would be the biggest upset of the whole skating season so far, hands down.

Page 54 of 77 FirstFirst ... 4 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast