State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season | Page 56 | Golden Skate

State of American Ladies: 2012-13 Season

R.D.

Record Breaker
The team we sent this year really wasn't any better than the teams we sent in previous years - it's just about time that one of them didn't melt down or skate injured, for once

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Anyway, AS IT STANDS NOW, I think Wagner/Gold/Nagasu would be the team with highest potential. Wagner/Gold/Gao would be OK too but Gao's probably the weak link there, competitive for bottom top 10 at best

I don't think Nagasu is better actually...On the home ice Russia will get the advantage..So the biggest threat is from Gols as I see it

fairly4

Medalist
son isnt even over yet, the wtt in april, beside alot can happen a year, a
This worlds happen in north america in canada ,,our neighbor.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Gao is a stronger choice than Nagasu at this point I would say, Mirai just isn't the same skater she was 4 years ago, I think she peaked at a young age, she's getting better now, but IMO it might have been too little, too late - her speed has suffered, she keeps getting dinged with URs, her body type has changed significantly which makes everything look more labored, she's still not all that consistent even ignoring URs, 3-3 and 2a-3t aren't super solid elements for her. If Zawadzki is more consistent in the coming season I also think she'd be a very strong choice for the 3rd spot, so really, I'd say 1.) Christina 2.) Agnes and 3.) Mirai/Alissa for that 3rd spot at this point.

Well, at the last Olympics we got 4th and 7th. We will have to wait and see what our three ladies will be able to achieve in Sochi.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To be honest i'd like to see that 3rd spot go to someone like Hicks or Angela Wang. With Gracie and Ashley plus Wang or Hicks you would have a good balance of youth and experience.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
To be honest i'd like to see that 3rd spot go to someone like Hicks or Angela Wang. With Gracie and Ashley plus Wang or Hicks you would have a good balance of youth and experience.

True, a true veteran, a young veteran, and a young newbie, 2 of who are dark horses for a medal, and a 3rd who has a bright future and will benefit from the experience. I like Gao and will be happy for her if she makes it, but the Olympics would be more a personal triumph of her finally getting to the big stage, than likely anything that would lead to something significant in the years to come. IMO Zawadzki will never be anything more than a headcase who the USFSA loves to promote despite that she continues to achieve nothing.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I'd love for Edmunds to go but not like that's gonna happen. I just hope she doesn't grow too tall before 2018! She is really special I think

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Is Edmunds old enough to go to Sochi? Will she skate as a Senior at Nationals?

Polina Edmunds was born on May 18, 1998, so she will be old enough (barely).

But given the girl has no international experience whatsoever (though she probably should have gotten some JGPs last falls), I think she would have to have the SOHL to make the Olympic team.

flutzy13

On the Ice
My thoughts on the 3rd spot

I think Wang or Miller should be in the conversation but probably will not be. I find them to have way more potential than some of the seniors that have been around longer. Miller performed to her music better than anyone at nationals, in my opinion. She had that Lipinski star quality.

I did find Gao impressive (artistic and decently consistent) and she's becoming a sentimental fave with all the 5th places. The year off from Harvard could be the difference.

I'm kind of over Agnes- she's had so many chances and not delivered on stages way smaller than the Olympics. Unless she can put down a clean long next year at Nationals and her GP, just no. I fear USFSA may not be on the same page.

Hicks- out of the top 10 at Nationals, she was by far the least pleasant to watch. Then her big jumps (which are her ticket) failied her at Junior Worlds. It pains me to think of watching her at the Olympics over Gao, Miller, Wang, Nagasu.

Siraj & Cesario- neither really shined at Junior Worlds. So probably not in the conversation.

Nagasu- USFSA seemed to send a harsh message that they were done with her and she no longer has the Frank factor. She will have to have the skate of her life at nationals and give them no reason whatsoever to question her jumps.

Czisny- I don't think she's coming back but maybe three spots changes that. We'll see. If she's clean at nationals, I could see judges really getting behind her or dumping her totally

Flatt-No comment. I wish her well at Stanford and am genuinely glad she seems so happy there.

My dream team- Ashley, Gracie, Hannah
My more realistic team which would also be great- Ashley, Gracie, Christina

R.D.

Record Breaker
Here's something to chew on:

With the exception of the 2008 team, which had Meissner, Liang and Wagner, every team since then up to this year has had either Flatt, Czisny or both of them on it. The first year without either Flatt or Czisny on the team, the US regains the 3rd spot.

Moral of story? Keep Flatt and/or Czisny off the World team at all costs and odds are we'll be fine :eek:

If either of them is 3rd next year, go ahead and send them to Sochi, but for the love of God substitute someone else in for the World team...

R.D.

Record Breaker
Polina Edmunds was born on May 18, 1998, so she will be old enough (barely).

But given the girl has no international experience whatsoever (though she probably should have gotten some JGPs last falls), I think she would have to have the SOHL to make the Olympic team.

Someone like Edmunds would be on the 2018 cycle, not 2014.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2008: Meissner 7th, Liang 10th, Wagner 16th
2009: Flatt 5th, Czisny 11th
2010: Nagasu 7th, Flatt 9th
2011: Czisny 5th, Flatt 12th (injured)
2012: Wagner 4th, Czisny 22nd (injured)

Flatt won't be back for the Sochi season. She has said that she still suffers from tendonitis and back spasms, and if she could skate without pain, she would, but for now she's concentrating on school.

However, we don't know if Czisny will come back. She will be 26 in June and has had two surgeries on her hip. If she does come back, I'm afraid USFS will welcome her with open arms. I just hope they won't give her the 3rd spot unless she can prove that she is both physically and mentally competitive.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Here's something to chew on:

With the exception of the 2008 team, which had Meissner, Liang and Wagner, every team since then up to this year has had either Flatt, Czisny or both of them on it. The first year without either Flatt or Czisny on the team, the US regains the 3rd spot.

Moral of story? Keep Flatt and/or Czisny off the World team at all costs and odds are we'll be fine :eek:

If either of them is 3rd next year, go ahead and send them to Sochi, but for the love of God substitute someone else in for the World team...

I really don't think Flatt is returning anyway. She was quite noncommittal when asked about a comeback. And it wasn't even that "I'm going to try to keep you all on my toes" statement ala Joannie Rochette.

"At this point, I'm obviously very busy with school and everything," she said. "At the same time, skating is near and dear to my heart, and I'd like to be involved as long as I possibly can. If I'm able to train without pain, that would be incredible. If I can do that, I would definitely consider competing through next year, but my health and academics come first; I wouldn't be at Stanford if that weren't the case."

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think Flatt is done too but you never know - perhaps the news of a 3rd spot opening up might have her reconsidering. Still, even if she made the effort I think she'd fall short. We have new contenders now and the one thing Flatt used to have going for her is consistency, but even that's gone now so there's nothing left for her to offer (sorry if that sounds harsh).

As for Czisny, all indications point to her going for it next season. I think she was going to try regardless, but now with a 3rd spot I think she will almost certainly continue unless she physically can't. She is capable of top 3 but again, she needs to control her nerves. Not convinced she can do that, especially since she had decent shots in 2006 and 2010 and squandered both opportunities. And she (like Wagner) will need more difficult content to keep up with Gold, Hicks and Zawadzki.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think Flatt is done too but you never know - perhaps the news of a 3rd spot opening up might have her reconsidering. Still, even if she made the effort I think she'd fall short. We have new contenders now and the one thing Flatt used to have going for her is consistency, but even that's gone now so there's nothing left for her to offer (sorry if that sounds harsh).

As for Czisny, I take it from the message she sent me that she will go for it next season. I think she was going to try regardless, but now with a 3rd spot I think she will almost certainly continue unless she physically can't. She is capable of top 3 but again, she needs to control her nerves. Not convinced she can do that, especially since she had decent shots in 2006 and 2010 and squandered both opportunities. And she (like Wagner) will need more difficult content to keep up with Gold, Hicks and Zawadzki.

A message she sent you? Didn't know you guys were BFFs!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
nevermind, forget it. post has been edited.

Aw, I really thought you had an inside on Miss Czisny. :) Anyway yeah, I think Czisny is going to go for a last ditch effort for her Olympic dream. Flatt has been to the Olympics and did two solid programs there, so I don't see anything motivating her to return.